Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-18-2012, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Member

How to gain more accounts

Hello, I've been doing landscaping on the side, i've gained 22 lawn accounts through word of mouth and approx 35-40 landscape jobs per season. This season I'm looking to expand and possibly make this my full time job if possible. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on flyers, do they work. what's the best way to hand them out? also, business cards worth getting a stack? leave them at pizza shops? what about a sticker for the back of my truck window that states my company and phone number? any input would be great i appreciate it.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How to gain more accounts

Not having business cards is crazy I give mine out like candy to any and everyone I meet. Got truck window done this fall had three people call me that saw it sitting at a job. It is paid for. Fliers are hit and miss in my experience.
00 chevy 3500 dump
03 dodge dakota
4 ferris wb
1 ferris ztr
2 exmark ztr
lesco spreader sprayer stand on
case 1845
western plows
Old 12-18-2012, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

you are doing more than me and i'm full time. i did 0 landscaping jobs last year. i did 1 small mulch job. mostly i just mow and nothing else.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Here is the sticker idea
Old 12-18-2012, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Member

attached is the sticker idea i had. i plan on taking off all the stickers besides this one
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2012, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

that sticker looks good i would make the phone number bigger. we have had great luck with flyers by having guys walk neighborhoods and tape them to the door. it gives potential clients a chance to talk with you or your guys and remember the company with a face and not just a card or flyer.

John Deere Quik Traks
Redmax Handhelds
Old 12-18-2012, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Member

how do you guys do the door to door. ring the doorbell and explain our services and offer them a flyer. or would you think a business card would be better. anyone have any success from leaving business cards at a local business like a pizza place or gas station?
toro personal pace 22"
stihl farmboss ms-290
echo cs-400
stihl ms-440.
echo backpack blower
echo trimmer
stihl hedge trimmer
toro snowblowers
5x8 trailer
Old 12-18-2012, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you're looking for more mowing accounts. I have had pretty good luck talking with my current customers asking them to talk to neighbors. And if I pick up another house on there street, I will give a free mow or two depending on how nice of a neighborhood it is. You can of course do it anyway you want. But I realized when there's a free mow or they hear free they tend to give a little more effort spreading the word.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Member

usually just walk up and tape them to the doors. but if you are doing walking neighborhoods in the early afternoon or evening people tend to be out and it gives you a chance to talk to them. also when i do a landscape install or mulch i will have either myself or my crew leader knock on the neighbors doors and talk to them about what we had just done and ask if they need anything done. no matter what always leave them with a business card or a few at the very least.

John Deere Quik Traks
Redmax Handhelds
Old 12-18-2012, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have had good luck with flyers placed in newspaper boxes. I put them out every quarter and make them interesting to read not just a big fat promo for my business. For example this fall i printed a "Fall to do list" and bullet pointed items like leaf and bed cleanup, Shrub trimming, etc.
It reads, Hi just a friendly reminder of things that should be done this fall. You can do this yourself or we can get it done for you. I list my other fall services also along with my information. Then I refer them to my website to read my latest article on, "What about Moles" or whatever seasonal article I have posted. It makes me seem like the local yard expert.
This works for me in my neighborhood which has about 600 homes and is 90% of my business. Every area is different and there are many methods, this has worked for me in my small territory. Good luck.