Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-03-2012, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Holiday Bright Lights?

Whats up with their website? Tried it last night, and this morning it still gives me a 403 error code??

I'm just starting to consider doing Christmas lighting as an add-on to my irrigation and landscape lighting business... mainly because I want to give prospective employees the peace of mind that comes with a much shorter off-season (if any at all)... but I don't want to just hang people's crappy old Walmart lights either. Anything worth doing is worth doing right.

I'm not looking at CDI, because a good landscaper friend of mine who has sent me some great clients is already with them... (and I already feel kinda bad about getting into this new line of work)...

I read a bunch of posts on here for hours last night, and HBL sounds like a good choice, but with their website being down, I cant have some questions answered:

Is HBL a franchise? Do they have protected territories? - I live in a large market so if this is the case I'm almost certain someone's already got my area locked down, much as my friend has CDI already.

If they ARE already taken in my area, what options does that leave me?

I do think I want to go with the Sales model vs the Rent model, as I'm already used to collecting multiple 1,000's for landscape lighting jobs and I'd rather get my capital investment back sooner than later.

I'm also concerned that only having trucks might be a major problem... I might need to buy an enclosed trailer?

Thanks in advance for any input guys...
Old 09-03-2012, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Check out holidynamics.com. HBL separated and holidynamics is the new company for installers.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwsmity View Post
Whats up with their website? Tried it last night, and this morning it still gives me a 403 error code??

I'm just starting to consider doing Christmas lighting as an add-on to my irrigation and landscape lighting business... mainly because I want to give prospective employees the peace of mind that comes with a much shorter off-season (if any at all)... but I don't want to just hang people's crappy old Walmart lights either. Anything worth doing is worth doing right.

I'm not looking at CDI, because a good landscaper friend of mine who has sent me some great clients is already with them... (and I already feel kinda bad about getting into this new line of work)...

I read a bunch of posts on here for hours last night, and HBL sounds like a good choice, but with their website being down, I cant have some questions answered:

Is HBL a franchise? Do they have protected territories? - I live in a large market so if this is the case I'm almost certain someone's already got my area locked down, much as my friend has CDI already.

If they ARE already taken in my area, what options does that leave me?

I do think I want to go with the Sales model vs the Rent model, as I'm already used to collecting multiple 1,000's for landscape lighting jobs and I'd rather get my capital investment back sooner than later.

I'm also concerned that only having trucks might be a major problem... I might need to buy an enclosed trailer?

Thanks in advance for any input guys...
The Holidynamics website will show who is already working in your area. You really do not have a protected area with Holidynamics. I think we need to just start calling Holidynamics HDY kind of like we called the previous HBL. I kind of wish they had come up with less of a corn ball sounding name. But hey, it's NE so anything corny is popular I guess.

With Christmas Decor they try to give you a territory but the buy in is about $7500. I had a good talk with the Decor guy at the TNLA Expo in Houstone last month. Their reason for the big buy in is to only get guys who are dead serious about the business and have deep enough pockets to advertise and grow.

I have a 16' enclosed and I think it is almost a necessity. You can't risk having your stuff rained on and you do not want to stay home and get behind schedule just because there is a chance of rain.

Here in Austin it is super competitive. I originally did a 100% markup on everything just like I do with landscape material. Last year I did an about face and sold everything at about 10-20% over cost but made sure the labor rate was going to be at least $65 an hour. I changed my view to more of a long term outlook where I want to make sure I'm not losing business because I'm too focused on the short term big payday as the expense of the long term payday.

On my take downs we did great on the stuff we did for cheap and were doing over $100 an hour on the take downs in some cases. Now that all the material has been bulbed up and cut to fit we should start to see an even better return on our investment for the second year installs.

I do all LED so selling is a must over renting. If your going to rent it's going to be the cheap incandescent where the cost is probably going to be 1/3rd as much.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 09-03-2012, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

selling is the hard part
good luck with it
Old 09-03-2012, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would hope for the 7500 you get some first class materials.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We rent and do LED. So dont let LED v. Incan. be the deciding factor as to renting or not. There are a ton of other factors to base you decision on. I actually think LED is the only way to go if renting, we have to guarantee all materials and dont charge for service calls.....LED reduce those significantly...

Trucks, depends on what kind you have. a 16' box is ideal, that is what I have found. I dont like the guys pulling trailers unless absolutely necessary.

You get a ton of stuff for the buy in to CDI, some tangible, some intangible.

Protected territories with CDI, some courtesy as to who HDY let be vendors but no protection against someone competing against you with the same product.

Please feel free to PM me if you want specifics that I really cant discuss on an open forum as to your decision to get into the biz.