Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-05-2012, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We dont normally edge. Before holidays, usually.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-05-2012, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

if he makes money doing it, and is comfortable with his business, who is anyone to say that it is wrong? Sure, higher profit margin work can be better...higher prices=larger headache.

drop the price to get market share, just to drive everyone else out of an area...sounds like a strategy....how many guys actually have a strategy?
2 Sears electric weedeaters
1 green machine electric leaf blower
1 sears articulating hedge trimmer-electric
2 50ft power cords
3 Leaf rakes
1 shovel
1 pocket knife
cooler for beer
lawn chair to enjoy a beer while I wait for the cash to be handed to me
Old 09-05-2012, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You know, there are a lot of folks throwing this term "Lowballer" around here a lot. We all know how they work, but not everyone is a lowballer because of how much work they put into each job. The more I hear people complain about "Lowballers" the more they sound like a lazy azz operation, complaining about how much work they have to do for x-amount of dollars, how they're not making any money and always blaming someone or some thing for their shortcomings.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammmerhead View Post
You know, there are a lot of folks throwing this term "Lowballer" around here a lot. We all know how they work, but not everyone is a lowballer because of how much work they put into each job. The more I hear people complain about "Lowballers" the more they sound like a lazy azz operation, complaining about how much work they have to do for x-amount of dollars, how they're not making any money and always blaming someone or some thing for their shortcomings.
I wouldnt say lazy. The reason people get upset and throw that word around is because everyone has their own preferences as far as profit margin. And when someone comes in and under bids them they feel that their profit margin (money making potential) is being threatened. Nothing gets people more upset then when you fork with their money.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

that would be a no on the weekly edging.

We do vertical line trimming were applicable. We do sell a monthly hard blade edging service, which would then be followed up weekly with the vertical line trimming.

I think the edging looks better, but when i got down to calculating the cost I would have to charge $3-4 more per cut to do it, I found that it would tend to price me too high for my compeditors. And for the $3-4 I had very few customers that can tell the difference between the trimmer and edger. Those that want the edger pay more ($10-20) once per month.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I will only charge additionally if there is not an established edge ie: requires steel blade edger instead of a wip.

I'm not calling anyone a lowballer, but snapper, you do state you are charging the same as most do for mow/trim, and went on to add this is the way most work around here. To each their own as far as pricing goes. Unless I misunderstood, you did seem to contradict yourself with those statements.

I'd like to add, if your beds are maintained on a weekly basis then weeding should not take much more time than usual. Also I know there's usually a few minutes downtime when finishing a property and many HOs would much rather see guys doing anything rather than standing around in front of their home. I see alot of larger companies such as Brickman perform bed maintenance and mow/trim all in one trip.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I include edging in my prices; however, it's done every other visit as opposed to weekly.
50" Toro zero turn
36" John Deere WB
Husqvarna 22" push mower
Echo trimmers,edger and blower
Other misc rakes, shovels etc.

www.fatzlawncare.com
Old 09-05-2012, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nparish View Post
I will only charge additionally if there is not an established edge ie: requires steel blade edger instead of a wip.

I'm not calling anyone a lowballer, but snapper, you do state you are charging the same as most do for mow/trim, and went on to add this is the way most work around here. To each their own as far as pricing goes. Unless I misunderstood, you did seem to contradict yourself with those statements.

I'd like to add, if your beds are maintained on a weekly basis then weeding should not take much more time than usual. Also I know there's usually a few minutes downtime when finishing a property and many HOs would much rather see guys doing anything rather than standing around in front of their home. I see alot of larger companies such as Brickman perform bed maintenance and mow/trim all in one trip.
That's exactly what we do, everyweek blow flowerbeds out so all debris is in lawn. Then mow with bag to pick it all up. Leaves a very clean finish. We also spray roundup almost everyweek so there are no weeds. It doesn't take much longer at all than doing a basic service and leaves the yard looking great.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-08-2012, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Member

on my high end accounts I bid them to include edging, which I do once or twice/month, or whenever I notice it needs it. this is easily done with a stick edger.

on my midrange residential accounts, I do most of them 2-3 times per year, and charge extra for this.

on my low maintenance college rental accounts, this year I talked several of the different owner/managers into having me edge them in light of the drought and 1 mowing in the month of July. this I did with my mclane wb edger and definitely charged extra. now that they see how nice they look (and make them not seem like slumlords), I think they'll let me maintain them next year, now that that the 3-6" of sod has been removed from the walks.

I also pick up "edge only" jobs every so often, onetimers, and also some to maintain throughout the season.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Only trimming.