Register free!

Old 12-30-2012, 01:52 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Heck, I'd like to go back to the ol' verbal bill...
Knock knock, hello...I'm done with the work, your bill comes to xx dollars...
...ahhh, the good ol days...now i send an email, snd the folks pay online and don't get an opportunity to tell me about their day.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Wang
Mom would have washed your mouth out with organic soap hearing that language!
Old 01-01-2013, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

to Dana,

Great decision. I also use hindsite for about 3-4 years

Couple of my suggestions

1. use a netbook with wifi
2. Keep office version of hindsite and QB on a desktop at the office.
3. Do billing in the office and not in feild your are more focoused and less of a chance of a mistake
4.All techs get a netbook with policy of damage replacment (they break it wages garnished)
5. All techs use hindsite clock in and out of jobs, travel, shop etc to track hours then sent to qb for payroll
I also have a policy that if they dont clock in and out of jobs/netbook they dont get paid
6. Use the guys at hindsite for help. Thats what you are paying for so use them as a resource.
7. Remember it will be a learning process and not an event.
8. You will be surprised how much time is wasted and product not counted. So be ready to hire, fire, and create new policies that will help to grow the business.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm making notes in RED

1. use a netbook with wifi - going with two 10" tablets for the employees, and either a tablet for me or the hybrid tablet/laptop I mentioned earlier.
2. Keep office version of hindsite and QB on a desktop at the office. - Current laptop is being converted to a dedicated machine at the shop for just as you mentioned.
3. Do billing in the office and not in feild your are more focoused and less of a chance of a mistake I prefer to collect a check on most jobs at the time of service, at least from my employees. I personally usually have so many things going on that I usually bill out from the office for my own work. Usually, but not always.
4.All techs get a netbook with policy of damage replacment (they break it wages garnished) As mentioned, tablets, and I will create a damage policy.
5. All techs use hindsite clock in and out of jobs, travel, shop etc to track hours then sent to qb for payroll
I also have a policy that if they dont clock in and out of jobs/netbook they dont get paid - doubt that is legal to not pay them. It will take time for us to get used to it, so I know there will be instances that jobs don't get clocked into, or out of, for a while.
6. Use the guys at hindsite for help. Thats what you are paying for so use them as a resource. - Will do
7. Remember it will be a learning process and not an event. - Yup.
8. You will be surprised how much time is wasted and product not counted. So be ready to hire, fire, and create new policies that will help to grow the business. Appreciate the advice.

It will take some time to get used to, and I have 2-3 more training sessions. I'm really excited to use it, and get away from all the damn paperwork, and double entry of sales receipts and/or invoice/work order entries. Thanks z.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
get away from all the damn paperwork, and double entry of sales receipts and/or invoice/work order entries..
All well and good, I'd be doing the same thing as you guys are doing. However, let's not forget that the field crew occasionally (most of the time) forgets to tally the parts correctly. It's still on your dime to check the call-outs; if you don't know what's happening, you'll be giving away fittings, valve boxes and valves.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I never know exactly what they use. Heck, I forget to bill an occasional part. S**t happens, we get busy. I forgot to bill a customer $400, until he emailed 3 months later. Hopefully this eliminates those things. It was right at the time I went on vacation, and my qxpress software crashed. So it got missed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-01-2013, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Paper field reports never crash, they just get forgotten about what exactly was done in the field. As far as I was concerned, one fitting not tallied was out of my pocket!
Old 01-01-2013, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Paper field reports never crash, they just get forgotten about what exactly was done in the field. As far as I was concerned, one fitting not tallied was out of my pocket!
"...for the want of an elbow, the kingdom was lost."

Old 01-01-2013, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Only a penny pincher like me on a fixed income could recently afford $3000.00 on new tires without counting fittings early in my day.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I could buy about seventy used tires on wheels for that much.