Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-05-2012, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Licensed tree guys: what would yall charge for this pine tree removal?

Well the phone has been ringing off the hook for removals due to hurricane isaac last week. Ive landed 6 nice size removals. Just want to see if im leaving too much money on the table. Property owner wants this pine tree cut and hauled off. Will be hauling the debris with my 23yd gooseneck dump trailer. Crew of three including myself and skidsteer w/ grapple bucket. I know everybodys numbers are going to be different. Just want to see what the average will be.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-05-2012, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't do tree work like that, but I would think somewhere like 800-1100...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-05-2012, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Pine Trees are way easier IMHO than any other tree to take down. They are structured branches that pile easily in a trailer/dump truck. I took down a 60ft blue spruce last week with my dump trailer and dump truck and john deere by myself in less than three hours. Chraged 450 bucks plus 100 dollars to haul it off(to my cottage for fire wood .... and another 140 to grind the stump(only about a 18" diameter 3" down.

I know i left some money on the table but it also only cost me about 50 dollars to do this job and in three hours walked away with close to 700 bucks. I would estimate that this tree with three guys would take no longer than 2-3 hours to block load and dispose.

Insured and Licensed
Old 09-05-2012, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

if you are using the grapple it will take 20 minutes to chop up in small enough pieces with three guys on saws, and then about another 30 to load everything up! MAke quick work of it! Get in and Get out ! Leave a bill and a yard sign and call it good!

Insured and Licensed
Old 09-05-2012, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Always a little extra when cutting around wires.

I would not think more then $500 (unless hanging on wires) I am sure the ztrees guys could make a nice profit on this one as experience of working to cut the trees down is always helpful and a quicker process. Hauling the tree away is a pain as the Pine wood is not what people are burning in fireplace.
I would be charging around $350 - $500 figuring it would take me and 2 others about 3 hours with not so modern equipment and again that is without messing with the wires.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn132012 View Post
Always a little extra when cutting around wires.

I would not think more then $500 (unless hanging on wires) I am sure the ztrees guys could make a nice profit on this one as experience of working to cut the trees down is always helpful and a quicker process. Hauling the tree away is a pain as the Pine wood is not what people are burning in fireplace.
I would be charging around $350 - $500 figuring it would take me and 2 others about 3 hours with not so modern equipment and again that is without messing with the wires.
That's 9 man hours. For $350, that is less than $40/MH. For tree work, especially a tree this big, I would want to get a lot more considering insurance and WC....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-05-2012, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Insurance will often accept 800 to 1100 as fair for cutting and clean up.

That tree is most of the way down anyway so it looks pretty easy provided those power lines are not in the way.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That a smaller pine tree. I just had a company come in remove 5 pine trees 60 feet or better cut hauled and stumps ground for 1350. They where in and out in 1 hour. That 270 a tree next to high voltage wires. 800 plus for a tree that is laying over is way high.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
That's 9 man hours. For $350, that is less than $40/MH. For tree work, especially a tree this big, I would want to get a lot more considering insurance and WC....
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes that is right $40 H/Man But I am paying them $15- $20 an hour so I am making close to a $100 an hour. For an existing client that is what I would charge as I want him to stay happy and keep us for all his lawn needs as well.

Times are tough and do not want to lose a long time client because I got greedy on cutting down one tree. My guys are happy getting the work and will get referrals from him down the road. I can live with $100 an hour job.

YES Could probably get more but for an extra $200 or so dollars I risk getting a bad rep in a competitive market and possibly losing a good paying client.

In long run not worth it to me. Maybe other but not me
Old 09-05-2012, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn132012 View Post
Yes that is right $40 H/Man But I am paying them $15- $20 an hour so I am making close to a $100 an hour. For an existing client that is what I would charge as I want him to stay happy and keep us for all his lawn needs as well.

Times are tough and do not want to lose a long time client because I got greedy on cutting down one tree. My guys are happy getting the work and will get referrals from him down the road. I can live with $100 an hour job.

YES Could probably get more but for an extra $200 or so dollars I risk getting a bad rep in a competitive market and possibly losing a good paying client.

In long run not worth it to me. Maybe other but not me
For a current client, I can see that. For a one time job, I'd charge more. I give current customers a break bc they give me lots of extras. For one time pops, I charge more. That's just me.
Posted via Mobile Device