Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-08-2012, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
Thank you, that's what I'm saying. People buy bigger equipment to get a job done quicker, but it doesn't mean you charge less. It's the same concept of a 21" vs. a 60" mower. You don't charge less cause the 60" gets the job done faster...the 60" is way more expensive plus more to fix.
Posted via Mobile Device
So if it takes 5 man hours to push mow an acre, you are going to charge 5 man hours to cut it with a 61" even though it only takes .5 man hour now?
Old 09-08-2012, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would be at $350 to clear the branches and leave the big wood. $800 to remove the tree with no stump grinding. We do fire wood so I would bring that back to the yard.

muddy,
I think you are missing some numbers there. Tree guys have one of the highest insurance rates for workers comp. coverage. I can make over $10000 easy and have many times this year but not everyday. Do you bid for your buddy? Just wondering how you know what he would charge for it.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Also around here the limbs are chipped and people will pay for them. And the big wood is cut to 20 foot section and taken to the yard to eventually go to mill or be sold for firewood. So there making money on removal and then selling the tree .
Old 09-08-2012, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
he nets 500k a year... he clears 500k. He is killing it. He just knows how to run an efficient business.

By the time a lawn guy unloads their skid steer, he has the tree cut up and in the grapple truck, and off to the next one.
after reading that i retract my previous statement, he is running a huge operation and does a lot of volume.....more then i could fathom. how long ago did he start this or is this a second generation business passed down to him. doing 25-30 jobs a week will make you alot of money. even if they are priced cheap.

from what your saying having the equipment he has, he is doing mostly state contracts or working for the power companies similar to asplundh, or abc, or lewis tree. then again my buddy was killing it during the storm we got in october, clearing 25k a week for about 2 months straight....not to mention he was already doing pretty well, then in januaury he bought a powerboat 95,000 cash at 28years old....so pricing stuff right has its perks too he only works about 7 months out the year. his uncle does tree work also, 1 little bucket truck, 1 little chipper, 1 skid steer 1 f350 dump truck, and he nets 300,000 a year working about 2-3 days a week. he takes the summers off, pricing jobs right goes along way.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealcutter View Post
I would be at $350 to clear the branches and leave the big wood. $800 to remove the tree with no stump grinding. We do fire wood so I would bring that back to the yard.

muddy,
I think you are missing some numbers there. Tree guys have one of the highest insurance rates for workers comp. coverage. I can make over $10000 easy and have many times this year but not everyday. Do you bid for your buddy? Just wondering how you know what he would charge for it.
I sub out my trees to him. I am very familiar with his pricing.

Overhead is much higher than landscaping, but he does 10k a day or more which roughly equates to about 3 mil a year. And he mainly does residential with occasional storm work or contract work. He gives 30-40 estimates every day.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
So if it takes 5 man hours to push mow an acre, you are going to charge 5 man hours to cut it with a 61" even though it only takes .5 man hour now?
Of course not, it's not the customers fault that you don't have the right equipment for the job, BUT, there is a higher direct cost associated with the 61" vs. the 21", which needs to be accounted for. Is it your fault that you DO have the right tool for the job?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-09-2012, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
Of course not, it's not the customers fault that you don't have the right equipment for the job, BUT, there is a higher direct cost associated with the 61" vs. the 21", which needs to be accounted for. Is it your fault that you DO have the right tool for the job?
Posted via Mobile Device
It cost less than $2 an hour in overhead for a 60" mower.

Quote:
Thank you, that's what I'm saying. People buy bigger equipment to get a job done quicker, but it doesn't mean you charge less. It's the same concept of a 21" vs. a 60" mower. You don't charge less cause the 60" gets the job done faster...the 60" is way more expensive plus more to fix.
Point is when you have bigger more efficient equipment, you CAN charge less and MAKE more.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

Point is when you have bigger more efficient equipment, you CAN charge less and MAKE more.
I think that is a valid statement, and I agree with that. But, charging under half of the other guys is not a smart business move. He could charge 20% less and increase his profit margins even more.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick's Lawn Care View Post
I think that is a valid statement, and I agree with that. But, charging under half of the other guys is not a smart business move. He could charge 20% less and increase his profit margins even more.
He needs the volume to keep his crews busy.