Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-05-2012, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ok..kohler 25 surprise

My GD is according to Ariens is a 99-00 model. It appears to have original motor. Great Dane 25 decal on it anyway (spec sticker gone as was the top plastic shroud) Pulled the motor as I knew head gasket was leaking big time. After removing the heads could see gaskets burned through in several places. Even had exhaust carbon on head stud/washer..But this is my few surprises (since these kohlers new to me and am not a mechanic): I have studs instead of bolts on a 99-00 model and I thought studs was a later upgrade. My valves/piston walls look emaculante..even can see slight cross hatching in bore, it appears so anyway- not one line. very little carbon build up except the light coating from running like crap with gasket out. And I thought sump used rtv (what I read) mine appears to have a gasket? I'm tempted to not touch the lower end since it appears clean and dry and just do lower seal and head kit. hate to remove gasket in sump if it is one..might need another look. These are what I got for numbers with the studs :Heads- 24494 removed head gaskets-2404137 P.S. noticed the worst side that the 2 outer head bolts were loose too.. could take off with fingers!
Old 09-05-2012, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I see sealant was on smaller kohlers..so gasket is right. didn't read manual close enough..now i'll study it. Gene
Old 09-05-2012, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Gene...it appears the shortblock is ok...forgetaboutit..
New washers and nuts will come with the new headgaskets..don't replace the studs..
Clean the block..pistons ..and heads...replace gaskets and use your new inch pound torquewrench..
Headbolts...300 in lbs
Intakebolts..88 in lbs..
Rockerarms...100 in lbs..
Replace the valve cover orings..
Piece of cake...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-05-2012, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks Piston slapper..

that is good to hear. I was really surprised on bores looking that good. I'll get the kits orderd tomorrow. what about the crank seal in oil pan..I don't think it's leaking but motor is on bench- should I change it?
Old 09-05-2012, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowisme View Post
I don't think it's leaking but motor is on bench- should I change it?

For a couple bux more....YES !

Also, Make sure both pistons are lowered down in the bore/cylinder before torquing the rocker arms down..... If a piston is at TDC the valves can hit and bend the push-rods, And let the engine sit 1/2 to 3/4 hour before trying to start it up. This will give the lifters a chance to bleed down so the pistons don't smack the valves bending push-rods......
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 09-05-2012, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks restoRob..since I'm not pulling lifters out should I squirt some oil down each lifter bore and saturate them? thinking to lube cam lobe or that just wasting time. Just leave lifters way they are and put it together using advice you gave me?
Old 09-06-2012, 07:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you don't remove the lifters there's really no need in adding oil, Just "SLAP" it together.....
Quote:
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 09-06-2012, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

after ordering parts..I see crack between valve seats-(22hp/25hp same?)

I took valves out of #2 head and cleaned up good- then cleaned head..Now I see a crack between the seats!- She must have really got hot. (Previous owner ran it with no shroud)..I was looking for a used head on *bay with P.N. 24318116s..and none. Lots of cv 22/23 heads and one merchant said the the cv22 would also work on cv25? It had a differant part number though..I got to wonder if that head bore is smaller or valves maybe..but would still bolt up? anyway project is on hold until I find another #2 head. Hoping I can just lap my oild vaves into another used head..But I imagine I'd have to get them ground right? Thanks again. Gene
Old 09-06-2012, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowisme View Post
Hoping I can just lap my oild vaves into another used head..But I imagine I'd have to get them ground right?

That would be the proper way in doing it but.......
Quote:
Old 09-06-2012, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks Restorob..I'll..

I better not try and 'slide by' on it..I'll kick myself if it has problem..I'll get both heads ground once I get another. Can I or should I grind my old valves to fit the new 'used' head if I find one (or new head if have too)?