Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-06-2012, 01:38 AM
LawnSite Member

brand new trying to start up need major help/advice

Hi everyone, I am 29 years old, living in CA, i have mowed yards growing up, would mow yards in a small town in nebraska while visiting every year during summer in highschool. I have worked for a couple local well established guys in the past. I also at one time had 10 accounts, (crappy accounts i may add) years ago but when i had found a construction job overtime on saturdays quickly came up so little by little had to lose the accounts. Now with 2 boys and a baby girl, with no luck at finding a job due to an old criminal background and the kids school schedule and ol ladys work schedule i have decided to get back into this and try to start a hopefully successful business for myself and my family. With that being said, is there any webpages where i can basically steal, copy and edit a year round monthly service agreement? I like the idea of getting paid when i mow so i can have money for gas and stuff daily, but i also know doing it that way, im screwed with no income during the rainy season, so any suggestions on that as well? And also how to properly estimate and bid the "dollar a minute" i hear about so much. If so can yall please let me know. By the way i have a echo weedeater, a crappy homelight weedeater as a back up, a new 22" snapper and a echo backpack blower if that helps with helping me price. Thanks alot, so glad i found this informative forum site.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Once upon a time, I was in the exact same boat your are excluding the small children part. I realize you have a family and have to spend time with them. However, money makes the world go around. I too had a violent felony holding me back in the job market. I mowed with worse equipment than what you have. Six years ago my weedeater was a bent shaft homelite with a bread tie holding the throttle wide open cause it had no throttle cable (got it out of trash). I had eighteen lawns before I ever got a riding mower. Btw, when I did get a riding mower, I had no trailer and had to take the seat off, pick it up and put it in the back of an s-10 blazer ( no truck either). The mowing business will not support itself in the beginning much less you or your family. I would try working the door at a nightclub on the weekends and getting paid cash. That worked well for me and to this day six years later I still mow the nightclub and the owners house. You can more than do this if you are serious. It takes a hell of a commitment but take it from somebody that has mowed lawns so big with a push mower that it took three tanks of gas with a push mower to mow.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
1989 Toyota One ton Flatbed
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind
Old 09-06-2012, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123hotdog View Post
Once upon a time, I was in the exact same boat your are excluding the small children part. I realize you have a family and have to spend time with them. However, money makes the world go around. I too had a violent felony holding me back in the job market. I mowed with worse equipment than what you have. Six years ago my weedeater was a bent shaft homelite with a bread tie holding the throttle wide open cause it had no throttle cable (got it out of trash). I had eighteen lawns before I ever got a riding mower. Btw, when I did get a riding mower, I had no trailer and had to take the seat off, pick it up and put it in the back of an s-10 blazer ( no truck either). The mowing business will not support itself in the beginning much less you or your family. I would try working the door at a nightclub on the weekends and getting paid cash. That worked well for me and to this day six years later I still mow the nightclub and the owners house. You can more than do this if you are serious. It takes a hell of a commitment but take it from somebody that has mowed lawns so big with a push mower that it took three tanks of gas with a push mower to mow.
Nice!! Thanks for the reply! haha what a coincidence, I have bounced for the last 8 years friday and saturday nights until recently when my ol lady went back to work from maternity leave, I was going to start again but that club is going through trouble and hopefully will be opening up in a few weeks. I also do wood carved signs, which at times i run into the same problem with not having start up cash, i buy my wood and materials as needed when i can buy them. Thanks for the reply, it is good to know that some people started off like me or worse than me and are doing good, there is still hope, lol. Thanks for the encouraging words and advice!!
Old 09-06-2012, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Luckily all this equipment i have is paid for.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Much respect 123hotdog.

Good luck wgallagher I cant give much advice cause iam
just starting to.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwservice's View Post
Much respect 123hotdog.

Good luck wgallagher I cant give much advice cause iam
just starting to.
Thank you, good luck to you as well.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I worked for a guy off and on for several years who finally decided to go legit. He had a lot of issues to overcome. Back taxes, insurance, biz license etc. I went with him to a local university that offered FREE consoling to people want to start a small biz, check into it in your area.

Does your wife have insurance for the family? If so that's awesome.

Website isn't really neccessary at first, a really bad one can make a worse impression than none at all.

Do you have any tats? Can you cover them up while hunting up biz?

Are you goona go legit from the beginning? Biz license, ins., taxes etc? If so i'd look for free resources helping you with all that, chamber of commerce maybe?

Good luck, but it's really the work you put in that matters. It helps if you set goals, deadlines, and plans. Write them out, post them up where you see them. Pack you lunch, get a big water cooler for your drinks, you don't realize how much money you waste on convenience stores and fast food!

I'd do anything to provide for my kids, you sound like a good man, people will see that and respect it. Wouldn't hurt to mention kids once and awhile... Might hit up some churches see if you can undercut a big name with a good true story...
Old 09-06-2012, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Forgot to mention buy some condoms.....J/K
Old 09-06-2012, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Member

What type of vehicle do you have?

I'd carve me up some sweet unique wood signs to mount on it with your company info.....you can paint the carved lettering to stand out and be visible.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEwhere1 View Post
I worked for a guy off and on for several years who finally decided to go legit. He had a lot of issues to overcome. Back taxes, insurance, biz license etc. I went with him to a local university that offered FREE consoling to people want to start a small biz, check into it in your area.

Does your wife have insurance for the family? If so that's awesome.

Website isn't really neccessary at first, a really bad one can make a worse impression than none at all.

Do you have any tats? Can you cover them up while hunting up biz?

Are you goona go legit from the beginning? Biz license, ins., taxes etc? If so i'd look for free resources helping you with all that, chamber of commerce maybe?

Good luck, but it's really the work you put in that matters. It helps if you set goals, deadlines, and plans. Write them out, post them up where you see them. Pack you lunch, get a big water cooler for your drinks, you don't realize how much money you waste on convenience stores and fast food!

I'd do anything to provide for my kids, you sound like a good man, people will see that and respect it. Wouldn't hurt to mention kids once and awhile... Might hit up some churches see if you can undercut a big name with a good true story...
Thanks for the feedback, sorry i usually leave windows open when i put the computer away so it probably showed ive been on here since yesterday.
Fortunately, the wife does have insurance through her work, everyone is covered except for me due to the cost, they take out basically a full paycheck once a month, luckily half is taken out of each check, which i still find ridiculous on the cost since she works at the hospital. Unfortunately she just got put on leave due to hurting her back at work, so we will find out how that works out.

Although i do not consider myself to have lots of tats, many people think i have a ton, on a new start i did today i wore a button up flannel casual dress up shirt because i have not had the extra $20 for a dickies long sleeve, the wife was wondering why i chose to do that since it was real hot, lol i figure i could lose a few pounds any ways haha.

Right now i have 3 customers bi weekly, i plan to go legit as soon as i can either talk the city into changing my municipal business license from party rentals to lawn care without having to repay the $120 "filing" fee, since they have all my info and the landlords letter stating he is aware and approves of me using the garage as a business (storage for equipment), or as soon as i can pull more accounts and properly learn to bid so im not killing myself for minimum wage. As of now it looks like the next money i come across is going to go into a weedeater and a leaf blower shortly after, my echo dies within 20 seconds of starting (good thing i got that back up that dont run that much better) and my blower was smoking a lot also today. :/

Haha thanks im sure i accidently mention my kids to any one in a conversation. If it werent for my kids i would probably not be in this forum as i would probably be dead or locked up. Funny how no one can change a person except for kids.

Again thanks for the feedback

Tags
advice needed , bidding help , new accounts , new business , starting your business