Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 09-07-2012, 09:28 PM
muddywater muddywater is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
When I heard WA State was considering a low-volt license, I called Labor & Industries to ask "why". He said, "because the idiots overload the transformers and set fire to the mulch because of improper installation".
I have never heard of that happening. I have heard a Par 36 could set pine straw on fire. But I don't know how you can overload a transformer that is hanging on a wall and set the pine straw on fire. Most transformers have breakers or fuses at least every one I have put in. And they are always plugged into a gfi. I guess if you did not wire not the connections they could spark.

They really need to be worried about the homeowners installing lighting more than contractors.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-07-2012, 10:41 PM
Stuttering Stan's Avatar
Stuttering Stan Stuttering Stan is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chesapeake, Va
Posts: 1,429
PAR 36's get hot, very hot. Easily able to set straw on fire.
A wire short can also cause a fire. I've seen a wire short heat up a 4x4 post to where it was hot to touch. Just imagine the wire temperature.
I agree with you on overloading. Breakers are in place to trip when overloaded. They work flawlesssly the majority of the time but I have seen
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Mike Leary's Avatar
Mike Leary Mike Leary is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Port Angeles, Washington
Posts: 20,572
My fault for lack of commas and periods. The L & I guy said there are two problems: one is not sizing the lighting to the transformer, causing breakers tripping. The other is the lack of understanding about heat with the PAR lamps.

Last edited by Mike Leary; 09-08-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-12-2012, 09:54 PM
BrandonV's Avatar
BrandonV BrandonV is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Asheboro, NC
Posts: 3,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
I have never heard of that happening. I have heard a Par 36 could set pine straw on fire. But I don't know how you can overload a transformer that is hanging on a wall and set the pine straw on fire. Most transformers have breakers or fuses at least every one I have put in. And they are always plugged into a gfi. I guess if you did not wire not the connections they could spark.

They really need to be worried about the homeowners installing lighting more than contractors.
I've seen it happened and by "high" end contractors. One project we had to replace ALL the fixtures close to 65 if memory serves correct. Everything was way over-volted so much that after we redid the system we had 2 left over transformers. I'd actually argue that the "professionals" that don't know what they're doing are more dangerous than the HOs because the pro model transformers come w/ the higher taps most of the HO models only go to 13. But back to my main point, on a different project the pine needles did catch fire where bad connections coupled with over loading of the wires sparked. Fortunately the fire went up the hill away from the home but it easily could have gone the other way; did lots of damage regardless.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:47 AM.

Page generated in 0.06246 seconds with 8 queries