Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-11-2012, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Can't put flyers "on" mailboxes?

Im listing this here because mainly lawn and landscape guys have done this..

I and three of our guys went out the other day to pass out flyers, one page sheets folded in half, and generally folded again to fit onto a mailbox somewhere. I already know, they ***** up a storm about putting anything IN a mailbox, so we never put them in anyones mailbox.

We put them behind the mailbox between the box and the post so its easily viewed or in the flag if the flag is down. I figure, if the post office delivery person hits the flag down, it might knock off the flyer and be ineffective and a waste.

We put them out in 4 local towns in specific developments. Our OWN local town post office is the only one who ever calls, usually they say they found one IN a mailbox, which is total BS, but who knows, maybe a homeowner threw it in there because they don't want it or just so its not on the outside of the box, who knows.

Today they call, telling me that you cant put advertisements anywhere on or around the mailbox and that the mailbox is "theirs" and for their use of USPS mail only. Now the USPS does not pay for your mailbox, there for its the homeowners with the understanding that its for use for "mail". Then they try selling us EDDM mailings, which we're fixing to do anyway because its only like .14cents per 6x9 post card now instead of the old bulk mail BS permit fees and have to deliver to an entire zip code of thousands of people, when 1,900 are in an old folks development and have all their work done by one company.

They said you'll have to put them on peoples doorsteps or something, thats not going to happen.

They basically told us that if they find any more of our flyers on any mailboxes after today, that they'll send us a bill for .45 cents for each one... WTF? Just pisses me off that we always get the call from the town our business is in, where i know the post office people who work there, same couple people for years, have been courteous my whole life to them, so its not like they have it out for me, and they're the ones who bother us every time, maybe they're in with the big Landscaper down the road or something.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm surprised you didn't already know this isn't allowed. We have been discussing and posting the postal regs concerning this since I've been posting here.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Never touched a mailbox with anything, its just not worth it. Just 20 extra steps to knock on the door and introduce me self...

I dont hand out mass ammounts of flyers just to target groups

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 09-11-2012, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Isn't this why people buy door hangers?
Old 09-11-2012, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I cant believe you are mad about this...youre the one at fault. Everyone knows you dont touch mailboxes.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

This year I was putting out flyers. A mailman approached me and said don't get caught putting anything in a mail box. However you can put things on such as tucking behind the flag, a gap in the post and box, opening in a bracket.

No problems yet. You must have a postal worker that is friends with the local LCO.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
This year I was putting out flyers. A mailman approached me and said don't get caught putting anything in a mail box. However you can put things on such as tucking behind the flag, a gap in the post and box, opening in a bracket.

No problems yet. You must have a postal worker that is friends with the local LCO.
"No part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage, including items or matter placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle. Any mailable matter not bearing postage and found as described above is subject to the same postage as would be paid if it were carried by mail."

Notes:

If you have a curbside mailbox or a mailbox on the outside of your house, Postal Service regulations govern what can and can not be placed in them. Generally speaking, only mail that has been sent through the USPS may be placed in these types of receptacles. Conversely, USPS regulations do not govern what can be placed in a mail slot on your door. This means that if a local business wants to put a flyer in the mail slot, they can do so.

source: USPS.com
Old 09-11-2012, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

As stated ,if the mailman don't care keep doing it.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do flyers even work? I have spent thousands on direct mail this year with about .1% return. I would try door hangers.

When i check my mail, i walk over to the trash can before i even look through it and discard the junk mail.

And screw the post office. I hate the government. They can never even get their own direct mail right. They are the most incompetent rude people i have ever met.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:34 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
Do flyers even work? I have spent thousands on direct mail this year with about .1% return. I would try door hangers.

When i check my mail, i walk over to the trash can before i even look through it and discard the junk mail.

And screw the post office. I hate the government. They can never even get their own direct mail right. They are the most incompetent rude people i have ever met.
I look at all my mail,I like to see how other businesses are doing their adverting ,that is how I found out about the Evey door direct mailings.