Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-08-2012, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
I like your style,,,,bet you 1500$ I can beat your in a round of golf. I cant catch a fish but I do enjoy fishing.

Friends come and go and a few "very few " cand be trusted and last a lifetime.
Lol you probably could right now. Only played 3 times this year. Back though played about every day. But as long as you can have fun doing anything that takes your mind off work is perfect in my book. I just go out and play golf for fun these days with my customers.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQL10 View Post
Just basic AutoCad stuff. Like desinging homes and buildings and what not. Loved every minute of it actually but classes were in the winter time and the snow was really falling that year. Well my job took over and told my prof and he didnt really agree with my decision but ultimatly it was up to me.

A few of my buddies use to do motocross racing and all said it was pretty fun till I showed them how much more fun hunting and shooting clay pigeons was. Plus I also like to go out and play golf from time to time. Grab some beers and play with some close friends. Have small little wagers and what not to keep it interesting.

As far as the friends thing goes, I learned a long time ago to not hire friends or have a businesses with them. Now having said that, every now and then I will have them help out if they need some extra money but lets just say I will only have my trusted friends help every now and then. I try to keep my professional life out of my personal life. Try not to discuss the business with friends. Mainly because ya never know who they know through other people. Just my personal take on it. Then you have the friends that think they know everything and try to persuade you in different directions on business decisions you need to make that only you can answer. Its a vicious cycle how it works bud.
I've never done anything trap hooting related, it sounds fun though. And I too enjoy golfing, only got out once today but me and a buddy brought a few beers and its definitely fun. Playing as a group of 3 or 4 would be even better.

And yeah I learned the very hard way. We (former business partner) are back to being friends now though, we don't talk about my business at all, hes starting up a trucking biz and we discuss that a little bit but I've learned not to say much about my biz. I have one buddy that plows (& works as a manager at an auto parts store & goes to school full time) and was trying to direct me on the size trailer I should get, I understood his intentions but he doesn't know a thing about the business.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-10-2012, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
I've never done anything trap hooting related, it sounds fun though. And I too enjoy golfing, only got out once today but me and a buddy brought a few beers and its definitely fun. Playing as a group of 3 or 4 would be even better.

And yeah I learned the very hard way. We (former business partner) are back to being friends now though, we don't talk about my business at all, hes starting up a trucking biz and we discuss that a little bit but I've learned not to say much about my biz. I have one buddy that plows (& works as a manager at an auto parts store & goes to school full time) and was trying to direct me on the size trailer I should get, I understood his intentions but he doesn't know a thing about the business.
Posted via Mobile Device
It is an absolute blast! Even more fun now because where I keep my stuff at is my buddies parents farm so we will go in the basement and make about 400 shells, I'll grab a few boxes of skeet on my way in head out and shoot for a few hours. Plus its a good warm up for duck and goose season. Once we tried shooting golf balls as I hit them with a wedge like they did on Duck Dynasty.

Some people have good intentions on helping but once again they still dont know what it is YOU need. Only YOU can answer what it is you need. I kind of have a customer that tries to do that to me on a weekly basis. I just let it in one ear and out the other. Kind of like weeding out the BS and catching the important parts. Stick with it all man it will all pan out in the end.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was just discussing this topic with my family and gf. Being a young business owner is hard when all of your friends are young as well. What i mean by that, is im 20. My gf of 5 years is 20 and all my friends are in the same relm of age than me.

Being a business owner my phone rings 24 hours a day 7 days a week even on holidays sometimes, and my gf and friends all get pissed that we are out somewhere or at a movie or on a boat and im on my phone.

In the next week i am either:
-Going to set up my voice mail so my hours of operations(or when i will call the client back) are between 7am-5pm Mon through Friday

-Get another cell phone for personal use and not bring the business number when im going out

-Get an office phone and only answer it when i am in the office(i found that you can set up an office phone with a program so if you dont answer it on the 4th ring it forwards the rings to your phone

Do you guys tend to have problems with this. I am already working 55-70 hour weeks plus going to school starting last week, so my free time with family and friends is sacraficed.

Insured and Licensed
Old 09-10-2012, 03:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLONGLANDSCAPING View Post
I was just discussing this topic with my family and gf. Being a young business owner is hard when all of your friends are young as well. What i mean by that, is im 20. My gf of 5 years is 20 and all my friends are in the same relm of age than me.

Being a business owner my phone rings 24 hours a day 7 days a week even on holidays sometimes, and my gf and friends all get pissed that we are out somewhere or at a movie or on a boat and im on my phone.

In the next week i am either:
-Going to set up my voice mail so my hours of operations(or when i will call the client back) are between 7am-5pm Mon through Friday

-Get another cell phone for personal use and not bring the business number when im going out

-Get an office phone and only answer it when i am in the office(i found that you can set up an office phone with a program so if you dont answer it on the 4th ring it forwards the rings to your phone

Do you guys tend to have problems with this. I am already working 55-70 hour weeks plus going to school starting last week, so my free time with family and friends is sacraficed.

Yes and no. This may come off as a bit arrogant, but since I'm the business owner and I'm the one who owns the phone, I answer it when I want to answer it. I return the calls when I want to return the calls. Now I will answer a few calls on the weekends but not many. That is why I have a voicemail. I try to get all my customers to email me if possible. That way is a lot easier in my book. I will not have them text me though. Everybody does it differently but one way is not better than the other.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I never finished college. I think i dropped out when i figured out i was making more than these loser professors than really know only how to sit on their ass and do a power point. Now people with degrees work for me... which is kind of sad if you think about it!
Old 09-10-2012, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

as a new business owner this year, i am realizing there is much more to the job than mowing, trimming and edging...

as many of you have stated this is a full time job and then some. and i have a low (part-time) number of clients. i still find myself at home for many hours a day planning, scheduling, invoicing, etc...

i can see that as my business grows and i increase my client base, my offline time after mowing will increase as well...

beats working for the man, lol !!!!
Old 09-10-2012, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here's a few things that I have done and others that I'm in the process to easy the phone thing and other simple tasks.

1. Get a separate number for personal. Don't ever give it out
2. Get a seperate number used on advertisements
This way new customers calls will still come in if you choose. I always answer new sales calls if possible
3. Change voice mail to state your business hours
4. Consider an answering service. Some will even return calls for you
5. Get voice to text in an email. This does a few things. First it lets you quickly skim and determine if the call needs to be returned ASAP or not. It also allows you to read, instead of holding a phone to your ear or stepping out... This is less rude while our on a date. This feature also can "take the emotion out" of the voice mail. Thus when you get a bad call reading it rather than listening can take some stress out of it if the voice mail is someone screening.

6. Remember. They are just customers. If you stayed your business hours, and they called outside those hours, they should already know to expect a call back Monday morning, just be sure you do it-relax

7. Get a good software. If you think quick books is good, your 10 years behind

8. Get software that allows for auto charge or online payments. Customer pays the bill, your system is auto updated. No bank run, no data entry

9. Get a mailing service to print, stamp, mail. Saves time
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-11-2012, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee24 View Post
Here's a few things that I have done and others that I'm in the process to easy the phone thing and other simple tasks.

1. Get a separate number for personal. Don't ever give it out
2. Get a seperate number used on advertisements
This way new customers calls will still come in if you choose. I always answer new sales calls if possible
3. Change voice mail to state your business hours
4. Consider an answering service. Some will even return calls for you
5. Get voice to text in an email. This does a few things. First it lets you quickly skim and determine if the call needs to be returned ASAP or not. It also allows you to read, instead of holding a phone to your ear or stepping out... This is less rude while our on a date. This feature also can "take the emotion out" of the voice mail. Thus when you get a bad call reading it rather than listening can take some stress out of it if the voice mail is someone screening.

6. Remember. They are just customers. If you stayed your business hours, and they called outside those hours, they should already know to expect a call back Monday morning, just be sure you do it-relax

7. Get a good software. If you think quick books is good, your 10 years behind

8. Get software that allows for auto charge or online payments. Customer pays the bill, your system is auto updated. No bank run, no data entry

9. Get a mailing service to print, stamp, mail. Saves time
Posted via Mobile Device

What software do you use?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-11-2012, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQL10 View Post
It is an absolute blast! Even more fun now because where I keep my stuff at is my buddies parents farm so we will go in the basement and make about 400 shells, I'll grab a few boxes of skeet on my way in head out and shoot for a few hours. Plus its a good warm up for duck and goose season. Once we tried shooting golf balls as I hit them with a wedge like they did on Duck Dynasty.

Some people have good intentions on helping but once again they still dont know what it is YOU need. Only YOU can answer what it is you need. I kind of have a customer that tries to do that to me on a weekly basis. I just let it in one ear and out the other. Kind of like weeding out the BS and catching the important parts. Stick with it all man it will all pan out in the end.
Sounds like a blast. Idk if I could get into it but I'd like to try it at least once.
That's my plan. Everything is on me and decided by me which is what I love about being an owner.

I have one client that I've done a few small installs for who lives down the street, he is my neighbor across the street from me and I have started calling him captain bullsh!t, just goes on and on and on about crap that he's making up as he goes and talks to me about how I need to save every receipt because it's a "write off" and it goes as far as he installed "11 deer stands in 3 counties over the past weekend" near his cabin. When he tells me the business related stuff I just stand there and think very sarcastically "thanks dude, as if I didn't know that already". It's usually in the evening when I talk to him and he's home from work at 3 or so and gets right into the beers and hangs out in his garage & yard and smokes cigs and drinks beers until 8 or 9 and then goes to bed and does it all over the next day. Drives me nuts when I get stuck talking to him.
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.