Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-06-2012, 07:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Whats wrong with this lawn?

Any ideas? Gets watered early in the morning once a day for 15min. Doesnt seem dry or overwatered at all.
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2012, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Open up the soil, or at least lift up the dead turf and tell us what you see... if you physically inspect the root zone you'll have your answer... my guess is your root zone is dry and the living thatch is impermeable... let us know what you see...
Old 09-06-2012, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Could have been burned out during last month's hot spell. Partly recovered now. Why is it...that the area near his neighbor's sprinklers is green and healthy? Check for brown patch disease.
I am not so sure about the triangular green area coming down from the bushes...perhaps extra moisture there, or perhaps that is tall fescue or bluegrass and survived the heat better. I suspect that the rest is perennial rye which didn't withstand the drought.
Is this area irrigated? Did you ask for a copy of their water bill?
Old 09-06-2012, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Member

It looks burnt out to me. Ouch!
Old 09-06-2012, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes the lawn is irrigated. I checked the system and adjusted the heads but seems to be operating fine. He has old school sprinklers heads that dont pop up and i am going to change them. I dont think that is the problem though. Im thinking its a disease because lawns are thriving around here. We have been getting a good amount of rain. It seems like it gets worse every week. How do you check for brown patch disease and what can you do for it?
The brown turf started out as a ring around the lamp post and keeps spreading. I just figured it was from dog piss at first
Old 09-06-2012, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Member

also it did the same thing last year and I thatched, aerated, and seeded. The lawn looked great after that.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you're not going to look at the soil then just wait and see what comes back , then overseed the parts that don't... the only way to tell which fungicide to get and how to apply it is to know what disease, if any, you have...
Assumptions and bad Guesses, really cause problems for simple lawns... grass is the easiest thing in the world to grow... except for the invasives, of course, but grass only stumbles when we put too many stumling blocks out there... these stumbling blocks are known as, "Lawncare Practices"...
Old 09-07-2012, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

When was the last fertilizer ap done?

I would look at the root level as axe suggested and maybe pull a few plugs in the brown near the green and monitor the area you pulled plugs from over a week or so.

How long has this appearance been developing?
Old 09-07-2012, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I cannot see any sprinkler heads near the lamp post. Nearly impossible to water that irregular area without throwing water on concrete. If you overseeded last year with a mix containing perennial ryegrass seed--maybe it turned out to contain mostly ryegrass in the final result. Not so good in hot humid weather or hot dry conditions. Susceptible to brown patch in hot weather.
Here is info on brown patch.
http://plantscience.psu.edu/research...es/brown-patch

Perhaps this should be sodded with pure Kentucky bluegrass. Quick, dark green, and would probably withstand hot conditions better next year Try to get top-quality sod that is suited to your local conditions and is disease resistant.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like drought damage to me.

Maybe some insect issues as well. Throw in some fungus, and there you have it.