Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-10-2012, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
I can't imagine someone[b] spraying bare soil with Roundup[b]... does anyone believe that the Roundup will soak into the roots through the dirt??? I've heard of soaking it into stubble after a fresh cut, but it is supposed to be inactive once it hits the soil...
That is my understanding as well. It is a systemic that gets to the root by entering through the leaves. No leaves, no poison.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think you guyd realize how fast bermuda will put up a new blade. Gly will destroy a seed if the hull is slightly breached. Bermuda roots at the surface will take up gly as well. Anybody familiar with trying to remove it uses multi apps of gly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-13-2012, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

The first pic is 100% bermuda, and the only way to get rid of it, is to spray and respray in their growing season, which in New York is probably about over. There is no point in trying to pull it out because you will not be able to remove all of the rhizomes/stolons. The latter pic is zoysia, again, spray and respray. There is no point in putting down KBG, it will just get choked out by the bermuda and zoysia.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Member

ok,, whoever posted about bermuda spreading by seed heads has no idea what they are talking about. Bermuda spreads by two ways 1. stolons-roots that grow laterally above ground, and re-roots itself, where it sends up new tillers. 2. rhizomes-roots that grow underground and sends up tillers. NOT BY SEED, when you are wanting to install bermuda, 99% of the time, it is by plugging. I have never heard of anyone, seeding bermuda
Old 09-13-2012, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerLandscape View Post
ok,, whoever posted about bermuda spreading by seed heads has no idea what they are talking about. Bermuda spreads by two ways 1. stolons-roots that grow laterally above ground, and re-roots itself, where it sends up new tillers. 2. rhizomes-roots that grow underground and sends up tillers. NOT BY SEED, when you are wanting to install bermuda, 99% of the time, it is by plugging. I have never heard of anyone, seeding bermuda
The hybrid bermudas must be plugged, but there are a lot of improved seed cultivars, like Yukon and Riviera that can give the hybrids a run for the money.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
ok,, whoever posted about bermuda spreading by seed heads has no idea what they are talking about. Bermuda spreads by two ways 1. stolons-roots that grow laterally above ground, and re-roots itself, where it sends up new tillers. 2. rhizomes-roots that grow underground and sends up tillers. NOT BY SEED, when you are wanting to install bermuda, 99% of the time, it is by plugve never heard of anyone, seeding bermuda
Common Bermuda sure as hell does produce viable seed. Go look it up. Seed and runners is another reason why it is so hardy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-14-2012, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
This is true for most hybrid bermuda varieties. However, Common bermuda as well as a few other cultivars can be propogated from seed.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver_GA View Post
This is true for most hybrid bermuda varieties. However, Common bermuda as well as a few other cultivars can be propogated from seed.
Yes, and some of the seed ones look pretty good to me. Riviera, Princess, Yukon, all good, reasonably dark, dense turf. Not quite as fine bladed as the hybrids, but still a nice stand.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Patriot you live in Tampa! The original poster lives in New York! I would be shocked if he is getting propagation from seed heads!
Old 09-22-2012, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Wild bermuda doesn't know what state its in. I was born and raised in Buffalo, I remember plenty of it in summer.
Posted via Mobile Device