Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-07-2012, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerbrat View Post
Green, will try to figure out how to get Mods to move it, great idea! I'm pretty "green" myself here. The hill was right off of a septic mound system, probably a good 45 degree angle down
That's an awful steep angle for the engine to run on. You probably just had too much oil flood the downhill side head temporarily. Maybe you should hold off going to the dealer until you get a chance to ask the mechanics here. This new info on the angle makes me reconsider what your problem might have been.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Member

White Smoke out of a Scag

Hi,

I had the following posted in another forum and someone suggested putting it here. Many ideas of what is causing it on that forum, but any help would be appreciated.

I have a 2009 61" Scag Turf Tiger, 27 hp Kawasaki liquid cooled engine with only 140 hrs on it. Today after a few hours cutting pretty long grass, it occasionally would blow large plumes of white smoke. I shut it down and checked all levels, all levels were fine. Started it back up and ran for awhile, noticed it would only blow the smoke on the same spot in the yard (downhill at about 30-45 degrees and turning left).

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Member

strange thing is, I have cut that same hill 5 other times (since I got the mower) and never an issue until today, thought maybe because of the long grass, I was overheating it, but the coolant temperature was well in the green range on the meter.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Stan,

Yes, the oil, coolant and hydraulics were all at normal levels. If anything, the oil was a tad below the normal fill line, but still within normal level.
Sorry, what I meant was, did you re-check it?
Old 09-07-2012, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
strange thing is, I have cut that same hill 5 other times (since I got the mower) and never an issue until today, thought maybe because of the long grass, I was overheating it, but the coolant temperature was well in the green range on the meter.
Maybe you just never had the head that smoked on you, downhill at the right time and place to make it happen before. Good luck, and come back here and let everyone know what it turns out to be. We can all learn from each other.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Member

yes, rechecked the oil level as well, didn't seem to have changed from the last time I checked.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Member

You may be right Green, might have to get my little Great Dane Scamper out to do the hill. Always worth the safety of a check though, if nothing else an early going over before I put it away for the winter.....yikes....snow!!
Old 09-07-2012, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hopefully its just dumping oil into the cylinder at that angle. I really hope it isnt a headgasket, doesnt sound like that though. Headgasket would burn coolant all the time, and there would be oil in coolant and coolant in oil.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Pietro, odd thing is I have mowed this exact spot all summer and never had this issue, I bought the Mower this Spring.

My gut is telling me to load up the mower and get it into a service guy today, obviously the cheap handy man side of me wants to think its an easy fix, but too much on the line not to let a professional look at it.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Member

OK, finally found someone to trailer my Skag in on Monday. I learned a valuable lesson, don't ever put diesel fuel in anything but a yellow can. I was using two of my many 5 gallon containers (one yellow, one red) for diesel fuel for the tractor. I knew the red container had diesel in it (only one with a all black spout), but my wife didn't. She topped off the Skag with what she thought was unleaded to do me a favor and refill all the empty cans. OOOps!

Hey at least it wasn't a head gasket.

Lesson learned.

Thanks again guys for all of the input. Don't I feel stupid!