Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-16-2003, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Tire chains for skidsteer ?

Has anyone heard of, or had experience with tire snow chains for a skid steer. We will soon be logging a small hardwood bush and had hoped to use our 1840 Case with a grapple bucket to move slash. There is about 8 to 10 " of snow and after it's packed down it can get a little slippery. I realize that there are tracks available, but was hoping not to have to go to that expense (also concerned with the possibility of branches caught in tracks). I thought that perhaps a set of chains (maybe only on the rears?) would give extra traction.
Any comments?
and Property Maintenance both
residential and commercial"
Old 01-16-2003, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

tire chains

I have used chains on an 1840 before for pushing snow. I had chained up all four then moved to just the rears. However in your case being in back country you may want to chain all fours. I was just pushing lots. I was wearing the chains out rather fast being on asphalt but that wont be an issue for you. A trick I found was to get chains real tight on the inside of the tire (link that is most near the skid steer as your putting the chain on the tire). Then hook the outside link (closest to you as your putting the chain on). I would then hook tarp straps from 9:00 to the 3:00 position and same for the 12:00 to 6:00 position that prevented the chains from "walking" off the tire.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 01-17-2003, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I use tracks and have very little problem with sticks getting caught. The guy I bought my skidsteer from claims it was hard to keep chains on. It had to do with the way a skidsteer turns.

John
Old 01-18-2003, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Member

I second the tracks idea they are good but you may have problems in the snow aswell because they will float on top instead of digging. I don't think the sticks will be a problem with track from the ones I have seen they are pretty heavyduty they make a skid steer go in more places. A skid steer isn't the best machine to use in the bush have you considered getting a trackloader with a 4 in 1 bucket this machine will work better in the snow and in the bush. With a 4 in 1 you can grab piles of slash and move it around where ever you need it then you can mount a arch on the back for skidding.
Old 01-18-2003, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Member

gravel rat

I'd like to limit the equipment I'll be using to my own only, that way I won't feel rushed. If the weather is bad or there is snow to plow etc. I won't have to worry about a piece of equipment and operator or rental fees etc. I'll be using a Kubota M5030 (on chains) with skidder-winch (for the logs),and a Kubota L2900 (chains as well) pulling a hyd. dump wagon to pull the slash out of the bush to where we can burn it. I want to use the Case 1840 w. grapple bucket to load the dump wagon. The road through the bush is basically just a walking trail so the maneuverability of the skid steer is important so we do as little damage to the surroundings as possible.
I've found some chains that'll fit at the local Princess Auto so...I'm gonna give it a try. I'll post how it works out.....good or not.
Old 02-16-2003, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Member

As a post script to my earlier inquiries I thought I'd give an update of my experiences so far. I found a set of reinforced tire chains (a cross link every two side links) in my tire size (10.50 x 16.5) for a fork lift. I removed the tires and let the air out, installed the chains as tight as possible with no air. I also cut the supplied fastening "lever type" links off and replaced them with stainless steel "quick links" (the threaded type) so that there would be no chance of the links releasing if they were hit or otherwise disturbed. I then inflated them to the recommended pressure. I'm glad to report that the chains have worked flawlessly. They have provided a tremendous increase in traction and given me a lot more confidence in side hill or up/down hill situations. I ended up installing them on the front tires, with the theory that when using the bucket with a load it would "load up" the front of the machine, and that turns out to have been the correct assumption. So far there has been no indication of the chains coming off and I'm very happy with the way everything is working. Now if we could only do something about the temp. it's been averaging - 15 C. (as a high) for the past couple of weeks. Brrr...