Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-04-2012, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

anyone seen heard about the new line of Stihl trimmers (lightweight)

This may actually be "news" to a lot of folks since I Heard it straight from our local stihl reps mouth.

Story goes like this, I bumped into a fella the other day and started bsing with him at a gas station. he had a stihl t shirt on which I never put 2 and 2 together but come to find out after 10 minutes of bsing he was the one and only rep for a pretty large region. He asked my a simple question and wanted an honest answer which was "why exactly do you run redmax over stihl or any other brand".. That was pretty easy to answer because Ive been complaining about the weight of there trimmers since the 90's. I pulled the redmax tr2300 out of the enclosed and simply told him when stihl has one that light Ill give them a try.

With excitement in his voice he started telling me that was the number one complaint was the weight of the stihl trimmers. He said they have a new commercial trimmer "coming soon" and he said it will give the tr2300 a run for its money for sure when it comes to weight. He said it will be low power like the tr2300 series redmax but will definetly occomodate the every week trimming lawncare providers.

Didnt know if any of you have gotten to "see" one of these yet?????

I talked to my local dealer and he said he got to see one of them and that the same rep I met is who brought it in. This dealer has been around a long time and he said simply that the trimmer just "felt at home" when he picked it up. My dealer agrees with me that the redmax lightweight trimmers are the way to go (Not starting a war on brands, its just what we agree on). BUT, he saids he thinks this new trimmer is going to be a good one IF it is well balanced (vibration) and has just as much power as the redmax.

If anyone has had there hands on one yet let me know. Im excited to get my hands on one for the simple fact that ever since the redmax tr2300 they have slowly made a chittier machine every year to replace the 2300 model. firts the 2301 which was okay, then the 2350 replaced that and it was a little worse. The other day I replaced one of my older 2300s with the new model which is the 2350s and ill tell ya that thing is a piece of garbage compared to the older models. Shame honestly. Seems like every time you find something that is "great" the company has to screw it up somehow. Redmax has done this. IMO

Anyways, sorry so long, Im bored and wanted to let everyone know what the stihl rep said!!!
Old 09-04-2012, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Haven't seen them or tried them yet, no. But we run all Shindaiwa trimmers & stick edgers. So I guess this doesn't matter too much to us. No plans on changing to Stihl anyway.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 09-04-2012, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't understand how you guys think stihl trimmers are to heavy. We use fs250r's for everyday use and sure they are heavy but you get stronger and used to them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-04-2012, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPPER MAN View Post
I don't understand how you guys think stihl trimmers are to heavy. We use fs250r's for everyday use and sure they are heavy but you get stronger and used to them.
Posted via Mobile Device
I understand how you feel, because I used to feel like you do, but.....

I have an FS90, and I didn't consider it heavy at all until I started running a Husky 223L. I have several places where I trim for at least half an hour at a time, sometimes more, and I will say that these lightweight trimmers feel like they're half the weight of the 90 at the end of that time. They simply feel much more nimble and responsive when trimming around all sorts of objects. Along a straight run in the open, it doesn't matter as much.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Whatever it takes to keep fatigue off the employees and increase productivity is good with me.
89 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4
5x10 Trailer
Old 09-05-2012, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Will take a look when available, please keep us in the know.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 09-05-2012, 07:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device

Not saying anything bad about your line of trimmers, im sure there good quality but i see that the lightest one they make is 11.5lbs............ the husky 223l and redmax are 9.5....... you cannot imagine the difference at the end of the day when you carry around2 less lbs. With that said both models i mentioned arent very low powered but for weekly trimming...... hech my redmax is like 1hp and i hardly ever run it full throttle...... little low power for spring time ditches but still worth it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-05-2012, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
You have a backwards way of thinking. I guess when your help could be pulled out from under you at any time can allow you to "make" them use the heavy handhelds. That and knowing they could lose their job if they don't.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure of it's exact weight, but my FS100 RX is fairly light, and plenty powerful for weekly trimming and even a little overgrowth. Majorly overgrown stuff gets the FS130 treatment, but that machine is a little heavy for daily use, in my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-05-2012, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterK2 View Post
I'm not sure of it's exact weight, but my FS100 RX is fairly light, and plenty powerful for weekly trimming and even a little overgrowth. Majorly overgrown stuff gets the FS130 treatment, but that machine is a little heavy for daily use, in my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device
FS100RX weights in at 10.8lbs and the FS130 weights in at 13.0lbs.