Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-25-2012, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Sentar quits

Hello, I have an early model sentar that is starting to drive me crazy as much as I love it .

The engine will run at full rpm until I engage the blade switch. After that it is sputtering and cutting out until I shut the blades off. Unless, it randomly dies while going uphill while cutting. Talk about profanity mixed with a frantic search for the parking brake as you begin to drift backward, envisioning (MAYBE HOPING) the mower will cartwheel the rest of the way down on its own.

I purchased a new OP switch for the foot plate as a place to start. (aside from checking all the connections) It looks nothing like the old one. The old one has a threaded collar and nut holding it in place. The new one is plastic and looks just like an under-seat switch that uses squeezy pressure clips to hold it in place. Is this a superseded part or is it the wrong one?

Additionally, there is a loose motor mount on the machine (with all the grounds attached to it) that I can find no way to tighten with out taking 3/4 of the mower apart. Is there any trick for that?

I have read here the OP or blade switch commonly cause this problem but no one ever finishes the post to say what the fix was for them. Any help would be great. This is my main mower and I hate life w/o it...lol
'04 F250 Superduty Powerstroke
'07 Kawasaki Mule 4x4
'89 Bobcat 743
Husky W4814 Walkbehind
(Scag's on the way!)
Numerous Lawnboys
Bluebird Power Rake w/bag
Bluebird Aerator
BlueBird Bedbug
Echo SRM265 Trimmer
Echo PAS265 w/pole saw, edger, brushcutter, and trimmer head.
Echo blowers
Old 07-25-2012, 09:10 AM
Sponsor

mzgloves20,

Our pressence switches in the Sentar were always the small black two terminal switch and is the same switch used in the majority of our mowers. The part number for the switch is 52410003. The switch you removed was between the engine deck and the cockpit wall in the right corner correct? Either what was removed was a replacement of some other type or the wrong component got pulled. Tightening the ground is easiest with two people, one under the mower to hold the bolt head with a wrench and the other up top tightening the nut. The mower will need to be raised like your changing the blades (supported by jack stands), then locate the hydro idler pulley the bolt head is right above it. You can slide the open end of a wrench in to catch the bolt head. Worst case scenario the idler arm can be removed for the best access. If you need more detail feel free to call us at (301)-360-9810.

Best Regards
Wright Mfg.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrightCommercial View Post
mzgloves20,

Our pressence switches in the Sentar were always the small black two terminal switch and is the same switch used in the majority of our mowers. The part number for the switch is 52410003. The switch you removed was between the engine deck and the cockpit wall in the right corner correct? Either what was removed was a replacement of some other type or the wrong component got pulled. Tightening the ground is easiest with two people, one under the mower to hold the bolt head with a wrench and the other up top tightening the nut. The mower will need to be raised like your changing the blades (supported by jack stands), then locate the hydro idler pulley the bolt head is right above it. You can slide the open end of a wrench in to catch the bolt head. Worst case scenario the idler arm can be removed for the best access. If you need more detail feel free to call us at (301)-360-9810.

Best Regards
Wright Mfg.

Thanks for the info! Looking at the switch it was a homeade piece of junk. None the less. Istalled new switch and the blades will not turn on at all. Engine will die if I remove my foot from the OP footrest even though the blades are not actually running. Is this a clutch problem?
'07 Kawasaki Mule 4x4
'89 Bobcat 743
Husky W4814 Walkbehind
(Scag's on the way!)
Numerous Lawnboys
Bluebird Aerator
BlueBird Bedbug
Echo SRM265 Trimmer
Echo blowers
Old 07-25-2012, 12:01 PM
Sponsor

mzgloves20,

If you are saying that with the engine running the blade switch pulled (blades not on though) when you lift off the footplate it dies, then that is how it should function, the switch doesn't know that the blades aren't on but it knows the PTO switch is pulled. Check to see if you are getting voltage at the harness connection to the clutch it is possible the relay has failed and the clutch is not getting power. What is the serial number on the mower?

Best Regards
Wright Mfg.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Ser num 17001 Eng Num Wse-5223Kawe

I ran into a few other issues today...lol...remember, I LOVE this mower, that's what is driving me crazy. I found loose connectors (more homemade crap) on wiring that I think goes to the blade clutch (2 wires through hole in deck behind engine). Blades worked as they should after that. Then, mower stalled out (never stalled this mower for any reason before) and would not restart. Keyswitch would not turn mower over. Checked battery and got 12.5v. Found the 20amp fuse (blue wires) blown. Replaced it. Key switch still no go. By chance, grabbed a handfull of wiring harness near the starter while engaging key switch and mower fired up. Tried to move mower outside, left wheel pump will not drive. Glad it was 90 degrees and 2pm with 11 yards to go...lol...

I did buy this mower used a few months ago. The person knew nothing about this mower. I have used these mowers in the past which led me to buy this one. I hear the old ones have a few bugs...this one is in great shape with about 900hrs.
'07 Kawasaki Mule 4x4
'89 Bobcat 743
Husky W4814 Walkbehind
(Scag's on the way!)
Numerous Lawnboys
Bluebird Aerator
BlueBird Bedbug
Echo SRM265 Trimmer
Echo blowers
Old 07-26-2012, 08:49 AM
Sponsor

mzgloves20,

Harness issues can be a challange to begin with, some homemade repairs don't make it any easier. The blue (violet when new) wire fuse is the power for the harness so being blown stops power to the whole harness. There is a short somewhere near where you grabbed and moved the harness. The eight way connector between the upper and lower harness can be a problem area and should be checked for any loose connections. Did the pump have any issues before the electrical gremlin? Did you by chance unlock the pumps to move the mower?

Best Regards
Wright Mfg.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrightCommercial View Post
mzgloves20,

Harness issues can be a challange to begin with, some homemade repairs don't make it any easier. The blue (violet when new) wire fuse is the power for the harness so being blown stops power to the whole harness. There is a short somewhere near where you grabbed and moved the harness. The eight way connector between the upper and lower harness can be a problem area and should be checked for any loose connections. Did the pump have any issues before the electrical gremlin? Did you by chance unlock the pumps to move the mower?

Best Regards
Wright Mfg.
Ill check the connectors. I did not have problems with the pump before the gremlin....lol...I presume it strictly a belt driven pump correct? I did not unlock the pump to move it. Actually, can u tell me what releases the pump on these. My skid loader is setup a lil differently. If you could give me the year that would be great too. I guess around 02 03? I have to adress the loose ground motor mount. I could not fit my hand in the to hold the nut.
'07 Kawasaki Mule 4x4
'89 Bobcat 743
Husky W4814 Walkbehind
(Scag's on the way!)
Numerous Lawnboys
Bluebird Aerator
BlueBird Bedbug
Echo SRM265 Trimmer
Echo blowers
Old 08-07-2012, 01:26 PM
Sponsor

mzgloves20,

Sorry for the delay was on vacation and it looks like no one was checking the forum. The pumps are belt driven so the belt could need to be replaced, the left side has less belt wrap then the right so it usually will show a tension issue first. On the older pumps there will be a valve on the left side of each pump near the rear, 5/8" hex head valve with a screw going thru it, turning it counter-clockwise frees the pump so the mower can be pushed. The mower was built in 2002.

Best Regards
Wright Mfg.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the continuing replys. Grass has been going crazy here so not online much. The wheel pump seemed to fix itself. Maybe when i rolled it off the trailer i forced the fluid out and it just didnt pick it back up..lol..
Fixing the ground and the clutch wire seems to have helped. I had one sputter the first time out but it has been flawless since. Its amazing how much i missed that mower!
'07 Kawasaki Mule 4x4
'89 Bobcat 743
Husky W4814 Walkbehind
(Scag's on the way!)
Numerous Lawnboys
Bluebird Aerator
BlueBird Bedbug
Echo SRM265 Trimmer
Echo blowers
Old 08-31-2012, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Member

New problem! The right side wheel motor and pump at toast. Are these rebuildable? I in no way can spend 800-900 on two new pumps.
'07 Kawasaki Mule 4x4
'89 Bobcat 743
Husky W4814 Walkbehind
(Scag's on the way!)
Numerous Lawnboys
Bluebird Aerator
BlueBird Bedbug
Echo SRM265 Trimmer
Echo blowers