Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-05-2012, 06:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

application methods for grubs

So I'm in the process of redoing my program and will be putting optional grub and fungicide applications in my descriptions.

Around here most grub control is preventative and put down around June when grubs are close to the surface and prior to laying eggs. Some form of Merit seems to be the go to product. I then like dylox for curative, but havent' found anything that works really well late in the year on big fat juciy grubs!

So what is your method of application? Spray liquid form(figure you need 1 gallon min volume)? Spread granular? Granular with fert carrier?

Wonderingy what you like best or if it really even matters. Thinking I can approach this is a separate application or combine it with another round of apps.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I used to offer as an option, till a wackjob customer didn't sign up for it, got grubs and told everyone it was a failure on my behalf, lost two of his neighbors as well. I explained he chose not to sign up that I can't force him to take the service. Now everyone gets it, you don't want it then you don't get me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-05-2012, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I've always taken the as needed approach, but haven't done very many apps.

Like I said most preventative apps(merit or mach2) are done around June. Seems if you waited til the signs showed up you would be too late and need a different product. Then you would have to worry about effectivness with products on larger grubs. Plus the warm weather may force them deeper into the soil.

I also see a lot of guys call it "Grub and Mole applications" I've always been under the assumption that moles ate earth warms and not grubs, but that an insecticide type product would kill off some of the food source and send them elsewhere for food. Fact or fiction? If there was some truth to this it could get a lot more calls since people see mole tunnels.

Just trying to educate myself and keep the app side moving in the right direction.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Back in the day,we did all liquid apps so we used liquid grub control when we did a regular app.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Systemic Merit + Liquid Sevin LS as contact surface feeding insect control in 100 gallons of water.
At 20 oz. per acre for Merit and a quart per acre for 7, I will do two applications per season unless the pressure gets out of hand. Then I will do another upon my request!!!!
The cost per acre is nothing for turf devastation. Then again, the mole populations and destruction of the lawn is so unsightly. If the customer doesn't want to take a plan for control, then you can lose the trust issue with a customer. Since I maintain what I spray, the damage needs to be explained beforehand........show pictures of damage. It is a easy sell in lawns that are riddled with trees and woodland areas.
I find that the warm season lawns is done throughout the season at least 3-4 times starting in April and the cool season turf is done this time of the year. I only treat warm season turf.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I like to combine fert and Merit granular--and charge for both. But it has to be explained carefully. Because it is double the price. You could also do a liquid weed control on the same trip of course.

Naturally you could do a liquid grub control, liquid fert, and liquid weed control. But you need a separate spreader or tank to treat the customers that elect to not buy the grub control.

I did my grub control in the July period, just as the eggs begin to hatch. Acelyprin is a better grub control, I suspect.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
Systemic Merit + Liquid Sevin LS as contact surface feeding insect control in 100 gallons of water.
At 20 oz. per acre for Merit and a quart per acre for 7, I will do two applications per season unless the pressure gets out of hand. Then I will do another upon my request!!!!
The cost per acre is nothing for turf devastation. Then again, the mole populations and destruction of the lawn is so unsightly. If the customer doesn't want to take a plan for control, then you can lose the trust issue with a customer. Since I maintain what I spray, the damage needs to be explained beforehand........show pictures of damage. It is a easy sell in lawns that are riddled with trees and woodland areas.
I find that the warm season lawns is done throughout the season at least 3-4 times starting in April and the cool season turf is done this time of the year. I only treat warm season turf.
Sevin is no longer really usable on residential turf. Does not make much sense to spot spray insect damage. I have used a combination of Dylox and Merit applied at 5 gallons per 1000 with irrigation following with good results.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 09-06-2012, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

GreenDoctor,
Sevin is still sold and applied in the State of Arkansas. As long as the label is still current here, it is applied. Agriculture still uses it on crop situations, so therefore, it is still on the lawn label side.
The reason is==I contacted my supplier yesterday and it is still readily available and still lawful to use.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I used Acelyprn this season and went out at the low rate in late April early May. I had great results with both surface and sub-surface control. This season Chinch bugs have been terrible in the St. Louis area and all the lawns that got Acelyprn stayed bug free.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
I like to combine fert and Merit granular--and charge for both. But it has to be explained carefully. Because it is double the price. You could also do a liquid weed control on the same trip of course.

Naturally you could do a liquid grub control, liquid fert, and liquid weed control. But you need a separate spreader or tank to treat the customers that elect to not buy the grub control.

I did my grub control in the July period, just as the eggs begin to hatch. Acelyprin is a better grub control, I suspect.
Ditto. I use a fert, merit combo product. Great results and can charge separately for each ap event though it goes down the same time and material cost is not much more.

Ive been using duocide for curative. Seems to be as effective as dylox.
Posted via Mobile Device