Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-08-2012, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Member

HELP:Storage in Camden County, SJ

Hey everyone, thanks for checking out my posting. I have a problem , maybe someone can help me, or we can possibly help each other. Im in a jam

Im almost 25, been doing this work for 4 plus years, this is my second year on my own. I am single and i live in apartment, pay my bills etc..

My problem is recently my parents seem to have a problem with me keeping my stuff around their house...they didnt flat out say that, buts its the vibe i am getting... Small dumb comments are always made. I try to do everything i can around the house and keep it tidy

The issue im having is im stuck in my apartment, locked in lease, and i got the rent/utilities to pay alone, but at the same time i gotta find somewhere to put my stuff.. i had a storage unit but that added up quickly.

Im in a total jam, i cant keep my stuff on my trucks, i park them out in the street at night...

The only stuff that sits around ismy 5x10 trailer loaded with 2 walk behinds... then i have 2 snowblowers, and a debris loader... some other hand held and a few tools...

Not sure what to do, i cant get my stuff ripped off... I dont want to shut down because of this... Ive came too Far!!!

Every year this seems to happen, more and more as i try to build my future,..

Not sure what to do, im trying not to go CRAZY
Old 09-08-2012, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSLLC View Post
Hey everyone, thanks for checking out my posting. I have a problem , maybe someone can help me, or we can possibly help each other. Im in a jam

Im almost 25, been doing this work for 4 plus years, this is my second year on my own. I am single and i live in apartment, pay my bills etc..

My problem is recently my parents seem to have a problem with me keeping my stuff around their house...they didnt flat out say that, buts its the vibe i am getting... Small dumb comments are always made. I try to do everything i can around the house and keep it tidy

The issue im having is im stuck in my apartment, locked in lease, and i got the rent/utilities to pay alone, but at the same time i gotta find somewhere to put my stuff.. i had a storage unit but that added up quickly.

Im in a total jam, i cant keep my stuff on my trucks, i park them out in the street at night...

The only stuff that sits around ismy 5x10 trailer loaded with 2 walk behinds... then i have 2 snowblowers, and a debris loader... some other hand held and a few tools...

Not sure what to do, i cant get my stuff ripped off... I dont want to shut down because of this... Ive came too Far!!!

Every year this seems to happen, more and more as i try to build my future,..

Not sure what to do, im trying not to go CRAZY
Suggestion...do you know anyone with garage, shed or out building they are not using or big garage that 1/2 is not being used? Offer to exchange service for rent. My uncle that I worked for had a 20X40 pole building & mowed neighbors lawn for free to use her garage for equipement we did not use all the time. She did not use garage & got her lawn cut for free. Took less then 30 mins to mow.

If you use facebook, post status asking friends if they or someone they know has garage, shed or building you could use & will service lawn in exchange for rent.

Search craigslist for "Garage for Rent" & offer lawn service for rent after checking it out. Another riskier option would be run ad on Craigslist in wanted section. "Garage wanted, Exchange Lawn Service for Rent" Make sure you have the proper insurance to cover theft & be selective with potential offers (location & person). I would personally not do this with younger person. Responsible looking, older person would be what I'd hope to deal with.

Also...don't know if you have a Harbor Freight & Tool but they sell simple alarms & security cameras. They even have dummy cameras for $20 or less. I would at least get permission to install some stuff. If dummy cameras are installed, you don't have to tell the owner they are dummies. Obviously if the building has no power the owner will know they are fake cameras.

Hope this helps...Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-08-2012, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Jovingo Landscaping View Post
Suggestion...do you know anyone with garage, shed or out building they are not using or big garage that 1/2 is not being used? Offer to exchange service for rent. My uncle that I worked for had a 20X40 pole building & mowed neighbors lawn for free to use her garage for equipement we did not use all the time. She did not use garage & got her lawn cut for free. Took less then 30 mins to mow.

If you use facebook, post status asking friends if they or someone they know has garage, shed or building you could use & will service lawn in exchange for rent.

Search craigslist for "Garage for Rent" & offer lawn service for rent after checking it out. Another riskier option would be run ad on Craigslist in wanted section. "Garage wanted, Exchange Lawn Service for Rent" Make sure you have the proper insurance to cover theft & be selective with potential offers (location & person). I would personally not do this with younger person. Responsible looking, older person would be what I'd hope to deal with.

Also...don't know if you have a Harbor Freight & Tool but they sell simple alarms & security cameras. They even have dummy cameras for $20 or less. I would at least get permission to install some stuff. If dummy cameras are installed, you don't have to tell the owner they are dummies. Obviously if the building has no power the owner will know they are fake cameras.

Hope this helps...Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device
Hey thanks for your reply, Yes im on a search for some storage, i did check out craigslist today, have also asked around.. I might have to get a storage unit again... gotta do something lol
Old 09-09-2012, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Member

I saw the dummy cameras at harbor freight, great idea
If anyone could spare some space around the area could you let me know? Im willing to help out around your area and pay... Anyone else ever run into a problem similar to this?
Old 09-09-2012, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I just Googled: self storage units Audubon NJ. You have some good options near by.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 09-09-2012, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

While a storage unit does add up if you aren't able to afford that with your business I'd question your business model and pricing structure.
Its not like you're renting a $2000 a month shop with store front.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPS## View Post
While a storage unit does add up if you aren't able to afford that with your business I'd question your business model and pricing structure.
Its not like you're renting a $2000 a month shop with store front.
True. You can get 10' x 30' indoor storage for about $200/month.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 09-10-2012, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a 10'x20' for $85.

Storage must be way high in NJ.

Same facility $200 will rent an RV slot.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPS## View Post
I've got a 10'x20' for $85.

Storage must be way high in NJ.

Same facility $200 will rent an RV slot.
We certainly don't have the wide open spaces you have in WY. And that particular area in NJ is a densely populated suburb of Philly.

Now, if he had an RV or enclosed trailer he might find a spot for less.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 09-12-2012, 06:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
We certainly don't have the wide open spaces you have in WY. And that particular area in NJ is a densely populated suburb of Philly.

Now, if he had an RV or enclosed trailer he might find a spot for less.
Yes, thank you phasthound Its more clogged here everyday,Its not that i cant afford to do storage, i just want to start saving something extra. It was a tough winter last year... Ive been looking and someone emailed me about a garage in my town, not sure if its private or not yet

Thank you for all of your replies!!!!!