Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-09-2012, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Member

What do you guys earn and what else do you do?

Hey there I have been doing lawn care/maintenance for a while now, but until now didn't took this serious enough to do it full-time. Now that I'm ready for the next step I'm curious on what is everyone making as a salary for themselves and or profit. And what else are you doing to improve your overall financial health. Does this take too much time to do anything else? Is it possible that after a while the company can go on auto-pilot with you just managing and get a little bit of passive income or at the very least do minimal work?

I ask because while I like the idea of having a business and am positive I will enjoy the overall experience (PITA customers and all), I am not so sure of wanting to do this this more than 20 years from now (I'm 22). I know it takes time to build a significant enough amount of wealth to go the passive income route, but is it possible that -with enough time for business development and with the right people- this business could be run on auto-pilot, sustain itself and provide good passive income?

**By good I mean between 1k-2k monthly as it is enough to cover basic expenses and a little bit of play money. And main reason I don't see myself here after 20 years is that I believe one should not be stuck doing the same thing until your body stops working, I believe one should do something, 'conquer' it and move on to the next challenge so that one continues experiencing new things and keep growing and not stall.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Well I work for a landscape Co. Full time. They pay me 12.25/Hr I'm hoping to go into business PT (nights/weekends) for myself soon, probably next season. I know, I don't sound like a procrastinator at all :P
Old 09-09-2012, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosel View Post
Hey there I have been doing lawn care/maintenance for a while now, but until now didn't took this serious enough to do it full-time. Now that I'm ready for the next step I'm curious on what is everyone making as a salary for themselves and or profit. And what else are you doing to improve your overall financial health. Does this take too much time to do anything else? Is it possible that after a while the company can go on auto-pilot with you just managing and get a little bit of passive income or at the very least do minimal work?

I ask because while I like the idea of having a business and am positive I will enjoy the overall experience (PITA customers and all), I am not so sure of wanting to do this this more than 20 years from now (I'm 22). I know it takes time to build a significant enough amount of wealth to go the passive income route, but is it possible that -with enough time for business development and with the right people- this business could be run on auto-pilot, sustain itself and provide good passive income?

**By good I mean between 1k-2k monthly as it is enough to cover basic expenses and a little bit of play money. And main reason I don't see myself here after 20 years is that I believe one should not be stuck doing the same thing until your body stops working, I believe one should do something, 'conquer' it and move on to the next challenge so that one continues experiencing new things and keep growing and not stall.
Profit and salary are two different things. Profit is what the company has left over after paying everything including yourself. With that being said, their are guys on here that pay themselves that much a month working solo and guys on here that have millions in sales and also pay themselves that much.
(2) Husky Backpack Blower BT150
Stihl Handhelds
and American Muscle

www.Platinumlandscapemanagement.com
Old 09-09-2012, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you know what your doing you can pay someone $100k a year to run your company and still have a nice salary doing it. The thing is that it is hard to do it at 22 and with no business experience so it may take you 10 years to do it, with age comes wisdom. But it can be done.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-09-2012, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good question. I dont take a paycheck. I dump it all into the business. Not to mention everyone's market is different which will lead to differnt salaries, profits, etc. depending on what they are charging for lawn maintenance, wages, and overhead.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i'm 29 and started when i was 15. this is the first year i haven't touched a piece of equipment and I love it. I stay at home and do scheduling invoicing etc. it will especially be nice next year when i have a kid and will be at home all day to take care of him/her. I make just under $200k per year and have 4 guys working under me. but like someone above said it takes time. ive been in it for 14 years and broke my back for every one of those years before everything finally started falling in place. I remember working 14 hour days 6 days a week. but now it is worth every bit of it. I just took two weeks to go to lake for 5 days then straight to san antonio with my wife for a mini vacation and didn't have to worry one bit about my yards.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Suferbum21 has it working great. Work your butt off to get the business where you want it and then reap the rewards.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchoutshrub View Post
Suferbum21 has it working great. Work your butt off to get the business where you want it and then reap the rewards.
True, but if you still arent checking up on crews doing lawn maintenance, or the hardscaping projects, things could get pretty sour. Just coming from personal experience.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferbum21 View Post
i'm 29 and started when i was 15. this is the first year i haven't touched a piece of equipment and I love it. I stay at home and do scheduling invoicing etc. it will especially be nice next year when i have a kid and will be at home all day to take care of him/her. I make just under $200k per year and have 4 guys working under me. but like someone above said it takes time. ive been in it for 14 years and broke my back for every one of those years before everything finally started falling in place. I remember working 14 hour days 6 days a week. but now it is worth every bit of it. I just took two weeks to go to lake for 5 days then straight to san antonio with my wife for a mini vacation and didn't have to worry one bit about my yards.
Damn $200k is what you earn yourself after expenses and all? How many accounts do you have? Are they full maintenance contracts? Do you do mainly hardscaping? That's pretty damn good
Old 09-17-2012, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Member

We do about 500k per year, profit about half of that. If anybody says they make more than 50% profit is doing darn good. We have tried to be as efficient as possible and cannot get over 50% profit.