Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-01-2012, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

you people are funny......
everyone on here runs the highest profit business, can pay cash for anything. The dude explained why he does what he does, works for him. You "super duper" scapers out there coaching him even tho you've never seen his business operate or anything.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurkn with amish View Post
everyone on here runs the highest profit business, can pay cash for anything. The dude explained why he does what he does, works for him. You "super duper" scapers out there coaching him even tho you've never seen his business operate or anything.
And you don't know what who has seen what and who and who hasn't seen what / who

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 10-01-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurkn with amish View Post
I cant figure out how so many guys do millions, and have to finance everything.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-01-2012, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
I cant figure out how so many guys do millions, and have to finance everything.
Posted via Mobile Device
Or have you figured out how the ones doing under a million are able to pay cash? LOL

In the grand scheme of things we can learn more from those that have failed then we can from those who haven't. I find the failure stories more intriguing, better insight to reality.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-01-2012, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah i am figuring out very few co that do over a mil have a very good profit margin!

I do remember idealscape out of nc posted for a while had 30-40 trucks and paid cash. Even had a d4 he bought new with cash. Pretty impressive. He was completely debt free with a 300k shop.

I do just over a mil w 10 employees and i pay cash for all my trucks and equipment. Of course i take a month or two on each purchase when buying used and find super deals that saves even more and helps my profit margin.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-01-2012, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
Yeah i am figuring out very few co that do over a mil have a very good profit margin!

I do remember idealscape out of nc posted for a while had 30-40 trucks and paid cash. Even had a d4 he bought new with cash. Pretty impressive. He was completely debt free with a 300k shop.

I do just over a mil w 10 employees and i pay cash for all my trucks and equipment. Of course i take a month or two on each purchase when buying used and find super deals that saves even more and helps my profit margin.
Posted via Mobile Device

Also if you go back and read Idealscapes thread thoroughly he also states in there that he does finance equipment WHEN IT MAKES SENSE! I think what you are missing is that not in every situation is it the smartest financial decision to pay cash, and on the opposite side it is also not the smartest decision to always finance. A lot of companies that are a million dollar companies sometimes have their money tied up in other investments. To lay it out there for you in case that is not perfectly clear. This is a made up situation, but if I were to buy a new truck and for instance pay 2.9% interest on 50k. I can guarantee damn tee you I can invest that 50k in something else that is going to bring be a return of way more than 2.9%. Don't take this the wrong way Muddy this is not directed at you, but I firmly believe there is a big difference between a landscape/hardscaper and a business man. On this site I believe there are a lot more hardscapers then business men.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krafty View Post
Also if you go back and read Idealscapes thread thoroughly he also states in there that he does finance equipment WHEN IT MAKES SENSE! I think what you are missing is that not in every situation is it the smartest financial decision to pay cash, and on the opposite side it is also not the smartest decision to always finance. A lot of companies that are a million dollar companies sometimes have their money tied up in other investments. To lay it out there for you in case that is not perfectly clear. This is a made up situation, but if I were to buy a new truck and for instance pay 2.9% interest on 50k. I can guarantee damn tee you I can invest that 50k in something else that is going to bring be a return of way more than 2.9%. Don't take this the wrong way Muddy this is not directed at you, but I firmly believe there is a big difference between a landscape/hardscaper and a business man. On this site I believe there are a lot more hardscapers then business men.
To me the truck or piece of equipment IS the investment. I can get a 20% return on another crew. I can't get 20% anywhere else.

What exactly are you going to invest 50k in that will get a better return than 2.9%??? Everybody acts like they are going to finance a truck then invest that 50k when in reality they don't have 50k in the bank and they don't know jack about investing.

And in this tumultuous economy which could take a crap at any moment, having debt is a terrible idea.

Here is ideal landscapes quote. Keep in mind he has 40 trucks.

We have been debt free since the beginning. The reason we are is because we DONT walk into dealerships, pick out 3 trucks and pay cash for them. We have bought what we need for the job and used it until it is time to replace it. Now John Deere has offered us 0% on a few skid steer loaders and we financed them for about a year, but that was just because it was 0%. Other than that, we pay cash. Again, do not get in over your head...just because you can finance a mower for $100/mo doesn't mean go get it. Really think about if you NEED it. Save your money and pay cash for it!
Old 10-01-2012, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Except there is no such thing as zero percent financing. The interest is baked into the product cost. The finance company will not write 2 weeks worth of loans at zero percent! I fell for that gimmick.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-01-2012, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Round here many of the million dollar companies have had their supplier house accounts cut off. I find it hard to believe they're investing monies elsewhere. If that we're the case, their accounts would not have been shut down?

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-01-2012, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
Round here many of the million dollar companies have had their supplier house accounts cut off. I find it hard to believe they're investing monies elsewhere. If that we're the case, their accounts would not have been shut down?

Posted via Mobile Device
Same here, the big co have to pay with credit card or check per purchase bc they got 50-100k behind at some point.

i get better service and cheaper rates bc they know my check isnt going to be late and it isnt going to bounce.

I pay some of my vendors in greenbacks. Two of my subs on a big job took a cash discount and i made an additional 2k on top of them. Cash is king right now.