Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-07-2015, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Member

echo trimmer 225. My opion, its worth the buck.

Hello,
I'm always buyin tools if I receive a good deal, if I need it or not. I shop at local pawn shops. I bought a new model 225 for only $100.00. I started with echo and I didn't like them ten years ago. Have a echo 200 trimmer and it is low powered. Echo engines got too hot. I didn't like how echo triggers broke easily. Bout this echo 225 and I think it is worth the buck. Yes the trimmer is worth $225.00. I also.like the speed heads. Saves a lot of time. I bought a Stihl 55 trimmer and it broke within a season. I'm still leaning towards stihl at this time, but as you know the prices are high. Echo has became a lot better over ten years. Ten years ago, they were junk and yes I owned the commercial echo's too. Grey echo's stink.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-08-2015, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Other than my backpack blower, which I couldn't say no to (Husqvarna 150BT), all my handhelds are Stihl. I've tried my luck with Poulan chainsaws and Husqvarna trimmers...they were sh!t. The KombiSystem from Stihl is untouchable, IMO.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Member

We use all echo equipment and generally are happy with them. The echo 225 series is small, light and will do a days work no problem. I find that in heavy trimming they definitely could use more power to spin that head. We also always keep a box of common parts that are interchangeable on most echos: fuel line, primer bulbs, fliters and plugs!
Old 07-08-2015, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donamow View Post
Hello,
I'm always buyin tools if I receive a good deal, if I need it or not. I shop at local pawn shops. I bought a new model 225 for only $100.00. I started with echo and I didn't like them ten years ago. Have a echo 200 trimmer and it is low powered. Echo engines got too hot. I didn't like how echo triggers broke easily. Bout this echo 225 and I think it is worth the buck. Yes the trimmer is worth $225.00. I also.like the speed heads. Saves a lot of time. I bought a Stihl 55 trimmer and it broke within a season. I'm still leaning towards stihl at this time, but as you know the prices are high. Echo has became a lot better over ten years. Ten years ago, they were junk and yes I owned the commercial echo's too. Grey echo's stink.
Posted via Mobile Device

Have 3 225's sitting on the wall in the garage. I guess live by the old saying, live with what works for you. Mine didn't last a year of everyday use. Nothing but carbuator issues from them. Not to mention, the above is wrong, the 225 is not a light trimmer. It is an under powered boat anchor. By that, don't get me wrong, it has enough power for weekly - bi-weekly trimming, however, the thing weights 12+ lbs. That's more than the SRM230, and only ounces below a SRM280t that has twice the power. For being low on power, you would think it would be a light trimmer. Hold a Stihl FS94R in your hand and run them side by side and you will literally throw the 225 in the trash.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:43 AM
Sponsor

I've mostly just used Echo, tried Stihl for awhile, etc. I feel like the echo's felt lighter and slimmer. When you are moving quickly on weekly/biweekly small properties they are great.

We did have a lot of carb trouble with them too. It seems like once a year you have to clean out the carbs on them. I think we end up replacing them once every two years instead of hassling with them.

In my experience I have definitely been happy with Echo trimmers too. Stay away from Poulan and the homeowner rated stuff...it's heavy and dies pretty quickly...
CLIP Lawn Care
Old 07-09-2015, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Hello,
Posted via Mobile Device
we use echo 225 and yes alittle under power but lighter and we use them 8 hrs straight per day and we run non ethanol gas in them ad they run cool and no cabs, problem at all.we mow ditches with 4-5 ft tall grass running 105 string
Old 07-09-2015, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Hello,
Posted via Mobile Device
Don't buy from pawns stolen stuff and you don't know what you are talking about.....grey echo were not just good but very good and light.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Unless I got a faulty unit - I'm very unhappy w the 225. If u let too much extra string out it looses power/torque. I like to trim w the string pretty long & maybe I'm spoiled cuz I own a 265 too...but I'm.pissed i wasted my $$ on the 225. Ok for homeowners... But id suggest more power for full time guys. If it would run right w more string I wouldn't mind it but for me it slows me down.
Posted via Mobile Device