Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-31-2012, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Newbie!

I recently picked up the business this year.. I currently have about 17 residential accounts. Nothing very big. I also have 4 commercial accounts (they aren't huge either)
I mow with one other person and we use a 36" snapper walk behind. It cuts great but we are looking to upgrade. We have a stihl blower and trimmer.

Any thoughts on what type of mower we should get? preferably a hydro walk behind
Any other advice would be appreciated
Old 05-31-2012, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Eeeeeeebay
Old 05-31-2012, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&Clawncare View Post
I recently picked up the business this year.. I currently have about 17 residential accounts. Nothing very big. I also have 4 commercial accounts (they aren't huge either)
I mow with one other person and we use a 36" snapper walk behind. It cuts great but we are looking to upgrade. We have a stihl blower and trimmer.

Any thoughts on what type of mower we should get? preferably a hydro walk behind
Any other advice would be appreciated
I wouldn't buy another mower this year, you don't need it. Why spend that kind of money? Wait a year and see where you are.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice, there are two of us right now, I mow and he trims and blows off the surfaces. There is always down time for him before im finished mowing. It seems like a waste of time. I didn't know if it would be faster for us both to mow and trim?
Old 06-01-2012, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You should add equipment when the growth dictates that you do. Look at it this way... both of you being not busy due to an extra mower (and expense) leaves you with the additional time to do what? This is not a "chicken or the egg" scenario. Work creates the need for equipment. Another mower does not inherently create work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-01-2012, 02:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

But right now your making money. If you buy a bigger mower it's gonna be at least 5-6 k and with only 20 ish accounts it's gonna take a whole lot of time to make the money back Unless you pick up 10-15 more. Wait till next spring and see how many customers you can get and go from there. Don't do like slot of others myself included and work just to pay for something that's not necessary.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-01-2012, 07:38 AM
Banned

You can buy a 60'' Turf Tracer all day for 2k. You just gotta dig a little. I'd buy the mower now. Save the 36 for backyards with small gates. DO NOT SELL THE 36.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I have found a 2005 exmark trivantage. 48" deck. hydro.
Comes with a bagger and a sulky, is $2400 a good deal? 700 hours on new motor and 2100 hours on everything else
Old 06-01-2012, 06:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
I have found a 2005 exmark trivantage. 48" deck. hydro.
Comes with a bagger and a sulky, is $2400 a good deal? 700 hours on new motor and 2100 hours on everything else
Meh....maybe. I paid $2500 for a 2008 60'' Turf Tracer a few years ago. A used sulky I'd value at around $75. Bagger I have no idea....we don't bag here.

Seems high to me. Especially in this economy. I'd offer him $1750 for the lot. Cash. Take it or leave it.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, there are two of us right now, I mow and he trims and blows off the surfaces. There is always down time for him before im finished mowing. It seems like a waste of time. I didn't know if it would be faster for us both to mow and trim?
Sounds like you don't need the extra guy.