Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-07-2012, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Hedge trimmer size

Im looking at getting a hedge trimmer but am not able to decide on a 24" blade or 30" blade. Any thoughts?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-07-2012, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering the same thing.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Member

I don't do a lot of trimming now, but want to do more. Just want to get size opinions.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-07-2012, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

When you need a 30" blade it helps speed things up a bit, but when you don't need a 30" blade it is too much trouble... many times I wish I had a 14" blade on a small handy-sized machine,,, but of course that would be too small for large hedges...
Old 09-07-2012, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Buck hollow,
I use the 30" units and longer combi units. It depends on the height of the shrubbery. The tall hedges is great for the combi unit with the versatile pivoting head. The dedicated head is great for other shorter hedges. It is also about weight of the unit because, think, you will be holding these things for prolonged periods of time. The smallest gasoline units feel like anvils after a couple of hours.
The last thing to consider is what you can afford..............I have been doing trimming for over 23 years and it is a part of our services.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I use a 30" kawasaki single sided trimmer, and also have a "artulacting" double sided trimmer attachment for my stihl kombi.

A cheap pair of manual sissors trimmers s handy fror small stuff.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a kawasaki combo that I can get a trimmer attachment for and that will come later. For now I decided on a Kawasaki 30" double side trimmer, listed at $390 and my dealer gave it to me for $330 with a $25 rebate. The shrubs I have to do are 3 1/2' tall, 50' long and then there are a couple individual ones about 6-8' tall. Maybe I'd been better to rent a pair but it's been a decent year and my accountant says to spend a little, haha!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-07-2012, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Hollow Lawn Care View Post
I have a kawasaki combo that I can get a trimmer attachment for and that will come later. For now I decided on a Kawasaki 30" double side trimmer, listed at $390 and my dealer gave it to me for $330 with a $25 rebate. The shrubs I have to do are 3 1/2' tall, 50' long and then there are a couple individual ones about 6-8' tall. Maybe I'd been better to rent a pair but it's been a decent year and my accountant says to spend a little, haha!
Posted via Mobile Device
They will last a long time, spray the blades with wd 40 or some tyep of lubrancnte constantly.

Be really carefully not to let the blades touch any part of your body, they will take fingers off, and will turn any part of your leg into hamburger meat before you realized what happened.

Also watch for tv cables ac piping and or wiring.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Great tips! Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-08-2012, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just got in from doing shrubs. My POS Ryobi expand-it hedge trimmer I've been using for the last few years decided it didn't want to start this morning so I ran by my local kawasaki dealer and picked up the KHT600A 24" hedge trimmer. Got it for $304 OTD w/ tax. I don't have any tall shrubs to trim so I didn't really think I needed to get the extended reach unit. The tallest shrubs I have to do are about 4' high maybe. It's a night and day difference between the new one and my old POS ryobi hedge trimmer which is to be expected. They cut like a hot knife through butter. Even cut through some 1/2" thick shooter stems on some overgrown yaupons without a hiccup.