Register free!

Old 09-11-2012, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGaPineStraw View Post
This is why I don't post much anymore. Sharing what works for me in certain times of the year. There is no problems with the lawns we treat. Skipster, Get off your high horse and kiss it.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm not judging your program -- I'm just trying to understand how it works.

When distributors or salesmen suggest I try something, I first run it through the sniff test. Does it make sense? Does it make sense that 0.03# N/M or 0.9# K/M is a useful app in LCO situations? Even in true foliar spoonfeeding programs on golf course putting greens, where they're delivering no more than 2 to 3# N/M/yr and applying at 7 day intervals, the lowest application amounts are 0.1# N/M, a full 300% more than the amount you're applying to lawns. To me, something doesn't add up.

I also don't get the "it works for me" thing. Plants are plants -- they don't care if you are applying it or if someone else is applying it. If you're getting desirable results from your apps, I think you should know why. Any old lawn boy can put something down and get some kind of result. If we want to be professionals and be regarded by others as professionals, we need to know why our applications work. The electrician I hired last week told me exactly why he did the things he did to bring our office back online and why they worked. We should be able to explain why we do things and why they work.

I just don't understand why the low rate of KNO3 is needed or why the micronutrients are needed.

Not judging you -- just trying to understand.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you understood how KN03 by itself works on a plant we would not be having this discussion. I'm not going to spell it out for you. I'm sure your just an all Urea guy. I know why and how my apps work no need to prove anything.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-11-2012, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
I'm not judging your program -- I'm just trying to understand how it works.

When distributors or salesmen suggest I try something, I first run it through the sniff test. Does it make sense? Does it make sense that 0.03# N/M or 0.9# K/M is a useful app in LCO situations? Even in true foliar spoonfeeding programs on golf course putting greens, where they're delivering no more than 2 to 3# N/M/yr and applying at 7 day intervals, the lowest application amounts are 0.1# N/M, a full 300% more than the amount you're applying to lawns. To me, something doesn't add up.

I also don't get the "it works for me" thing. Plants are plants -- they don't care if you are applying it or if someone else is applying it. If you're getting desirable results from your apps, I think you should know why. Any old lawn boy can put something down and get some kind of result. If we want to be professionals and be regarded by others as professionals, we need to know why our applications work. The electrician I hired last week told me exactly why he did the things he did to bring our office back online and why they worked. We should be able to explain why we do things and why they work.

I just don't understand why the low rate of KNO3 is needed or why the micronutrients are needed.

Not judging you -- just trying to understand.
We in Jawga skippy...

A plant might be the same plant, but how is responds in different parts of the country varies with climate and soil types.

Around here we top dress with sand which you are against...but it works here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-11-2012, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Skipster would be shocked if I told him what I applied to my lawns...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-11-2012, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do you read and follow the labels that Skipster writes to a T Wesley? Skipster is the label police on LS.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-11-2012, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
If you understood how KN03 by itself works on a plant we would not be having this discussion. I'm not going to spell it out for you. I'm sure your just an all Urea guy. I know why and how my apps work no need to prove anything.
Posted via Mobile Device
I am very familiar with the uptake and assimilation characteristics of all plant nutrient forms, which is why I'm questioning the rationale behind such a small application rate. I'm not questioning your choice of N source (yet) -- I just don't know why you would apply at such a low rate. Plants often take up more than your 0.03# NO3-N/M from atmospheric deposition or OM mineralization. The amount is inconsequential. If you think otherwise, please help us to understand why. Your assertions are contrary to the research and textbook evidence and I'm curious about what you know that they don't.

CGA, I've never said sand topdressing was a bad idea. I think it will work better in some situations than others, but I've never said it was a bad idea. Some guys act as though it is a godsend in a single app, to which I will disagree.

BTW, I've grown grass in GA and I am fully aware of what it takes to maintain high performing turf stands in the southeast. And I am continually shocked and amazed at the crap that some people will believe and what they will spend money to do. Some folks will fall for anything
Old 09-11-2012, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Member

natureslawn...has great organic sprays.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I've had great results with just 1/4 lb of potassium nitrate and high manganese micro mix. This mix is for warm season turf. Roughly $80 to do an acre.
Posted via Mobile Device
IMO. Nitrogen IS over applied. Definitely in Fl. Nitrogen does HELP with color but mostly causes too much growth & too many pest issues. Turfgrass grows fine without N. People who fert with N and people who don't each have to mow weekly during growing season. Cutters would remain employed if fert companies all went under but if mowing
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-12-2012, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Stopped. Pest companys would fall by the way side because its most popular stress would be gone. I have practiced in St. Aug no more than 2# of N per/1000 per year. I also apply as much potassium & micros needed to fight environmental & mechanical stress. Why apply N that forces energy into growth when the energy needs to be used to recover from environmental and mechanical stresses. I believe if you give turfgrass the tools it needs to become successfull it will happen. I also believe nitrogen can dominate the wasting of energy. Take care of the root system and the turfgrass will take care of itself. N is not our friend.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-12-2012, 05:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfmd101 View Post
Stopped. Pest companys would fall by the way side because its most popular stress would be gone. I have practiced in St. Aug no more than 2# of N per/1000 per year. I also apply as much potassium & micros needed to fight environmental & mechanical stress. Why apply N that forces energy into growth when the energy needs to be used to recover from environmental and mechanical stresses. I believe if you give turfgrass the tools it needs to become successfull it will happen. I also believe nitrogen can dominate the wasting of energy. Take care of the root system and the turfgrass will take care of itself. N is not our friend.
Posted via Mobile Device
N makes me $$$
Posted via Mobile Device