Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-10-2012, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Danger! Chevy/ GMC truck owners need to read

First and foremost- If this is a repeat of another thread I apologize to the LS community.

I own an 01 Silverado. Yesterday I was towing my trailer and equipment. A Lady suddenly ran a red light and I almost blasted her. I hit the brakes hard. My trailer brakes locked and the truck provided little or no braking. I was scared $hitless to say the least. As no brake power returned, I inspected the lines and found a ruptured rusted out line. Various other lines leaving the Master cylinder look bad too. Brake fluid was pouring out of the ruptered line.

Turns out thousands and thousands of other GM owners and operators have experienced similar problems, yet GM and NHTSA has done Jack Crap about it- except remain silent. NHTSA has commenced an engineering analysis for what that is worth.

Had I not had electric brakes on the trailer I and the other driver would have been in for a world of hurt if not worse.

I urge each one of you to carefull inspect your brake and fuel lines. You get no warning on this folks and its disgusting how GM is ignoring this problem instead of tackling it head on.

Ive been a big chevy/ gm fan over the years...but this has rapidly corroded my faith in Gm and Chevrolet.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds to me you need to be blaming the highway departments that dump salt and calcium chloride on the roads, not GM.

Also, a good idea when replacing brake lines is to go with stainless steel lines.

And still not rich

Old 09-10-2012, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have got to get my lines replaced before winter.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

brake lines rot out on all vehicles. Thats what inspection stickers are for. Usually you will feel loss in braking power before failure.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Lines rot out on all makes. I definitely don't think this is a manufacturer issue. As mentioned above. That's also why there annual safety inspections and at least if your not getting them done inspect your borehole yourself
2004 Bobcat s250
Gravely 152 ztr
2006 walker GHS
16ft landscape trailer
2012 6 ton dump trailer
2004 JDJ 7 ton dump trailer
Little wonder leaf loader
Toro proline and Honda 21's
Toro 36" walkbehinds
Stihl,echo,handhelds and saws
Arctic snow plows and snow ex salters
Horst Snow Pushers
Old 09-10-2012, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by integrityman View Post
First and foremost- If this is a repeat of another thread I apologize to the LS community.

I own an 01 Silverado. Yesterday I was towing my trailer and equipment. A Lady suddenly ran a red light and I almost blasted her. I hit the brakes hard. My trailer brakes locked and the truck provided little or no braking. I was scared $hitless to say the least. As no brake power returned, I inspected the lines and found a ruptured rusted out line. Various other lines leaving the Master cylinder look bad too. Brake fluid was pouring out of the ruptered line.

Turns out thousands and thousands of other GM owners and operators have experienced similar problems, yet GM and NHTSA has done Jack Crap about it- except remain silent. NHTSA has commenced an engineering analysis for what that is worth.

Had I not had electric brakes on the trailer I and the other driver would have been in for a world of hurt if not worse.

I urge each one of you to carefull inspect your brake and fuel lines. You get no warning on this folks and its disgusting how GM is ignoring this problem instead of tackling it head on.

Ive been a big chevy/ gm fan over the years...but this has rapidly corroded my faith in Gm and Chevrolet.
Do you plow with your 11 year old truck too? Are you the original owner? If not look at a car fax to see what state it came from.
Your message is good, check your brake lines, but I wouldnt blame gm
Old 09-10-2012, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
brake lines rot out on all vehicles. Thats what inspection stickers are for. Usually you will feel loss in braking power before failure.
Not necessarily true. It seems that the (GM) placement of the lines is especially troublesome. I called a host of local mechanics and spoke to several GM dealers. They ALL advised me that this make and vintage is horrendous. To the point of offering to write letters on my behalf. The 99-03 vintage is especially troublesome.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...do_brakes.html

Owners have reported passage of government AND industry technicians inspections and experiencing failure shortly thereafter.

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh...hp?tid/274830/
Old 09-11-2012, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Member

You have an 01. My 04 Dodge has so many rusted/rotted lines on it that I have spent tons of money replacing. It happens.
10 Load Trail 7x14 Dump Trailer
Toro Grandstand 52 23hp Kawi
Toro G3 60 34hp Kawi
Stihl MS192T 021 MS260pro MS260 MS460magnum
ECHO Trimmers/Blowers
JRCO Rakes
TracVac Aerator
Miller Trailblazer 275DC
Miller MM251/30A
Miller Dialarc 250
Old 09-11-2012, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

how many miles on both of your guys' trucks?
Old 09-11-2012, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Have you ever flushed your brake fluid? It does absorb water which in turn rusts lines. I'm not saying its not a GM problem...after all it is a GM , but people forget about brake fluid absorbing water.
Posted via Mobile Device