Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-11-2012, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Mower for a school

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a little information, and it seems to be tough to get unbiased answers. I thought you guys could give me some advice. I'm the principal of an elementary school, and I am looking for a mower for my school. We have about six acres to mow. Most of the grounds are flat, but it does roll in some areas. There are no major hills. I would like to keep the cost as close to 5k as possible. Money is tight, especially in an elementary school. We have a good local dealer that had two recommendations. He suggested a Bad Boy ZT for $4999 or a Dixie Chopper Magnum for $5899. Looking at the catalog, it seems like the CTZ might be a closer comparison to the Magnum. I didn't get it a price on it though, so which one and why? I will more than likely buy from this dealer, so I would like to keep it to these brands if possible.

Thanks

Dixie Chopper Magnum $5899
Bad Boy ZT $4999
Bad Boy CZT $ ?
Other
Old 09-13-2012, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry I can't recommend a mower for you.

My mom is a retired teacher, they had a garden at their elementary school.

Since you are into using internet forums for research may I recommend http://www.tomatoville.com/ for you or your staff to get information on growing tomatoes. Many on that site, myself included, grow Heirloom tomatoes. I'm sure you are aware that the tomato plants you get from Lowe's etc. are all Hybrids. Just a few different plants would offer a great learning experience for the kids, green tomatoes, yellow tomatoes, all shapes and sizes that you can imagine.

If you were to post about your story, people would send you free seeds of all kinds of varieties of tomatoes (not that they are expensive to buy), but you'll get ones that one this state fair or that local contest etc.

Also with Heirlooms, you would have a great opportunity to do a season or two of cross-breeding for maybe the 4th and then 5th graders.....

Good luck, hope you aren't the only one doing all that mowing!
Old 09-13-2012, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEwhere1 View Post
Sorry I can't recommend a mower for you.

My mom is a retired teacher, they had a garden at their elementary school.

Since you are into using internet forums for research may I recommend http://www.tomatoville.com/ for you or your staff to get information on growing tomatoes. Many on that site, myself included, grow Heirloom tomatoes. I'm sure you are aware that the tomato plants you get from Lowe's etc. are all Hybrids. Just a few different plants would offer a great learning experience for the kids, green tomatoes, yellow tomatoes, all shapes and sizes that you can imagine.

If you were to post about your story, people would send you free seeds of all kinds of varieties of tomatoes (not that they are expensive to buy), but you'll get ones that one this state fair or that local contest etc.

Also with Heirlooms, you would have a great opportunity to do a season or two of cross-breeding for maybe the 4th and then 5th graders.....

Good luck, hope you aren't the only one doing all that mowing!
What do tomatoes have to do with his question?

To OP either mower should be fine. With that kind of acreage you may want to try and see if you can find a left over in the winter time frame. May be able to get more mower for around the same price. Just a thought.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by antv20 View Post
What do tomatoes have to do with his question?

lol i was thinking the same thing.
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 09-13-2012, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mharrisatuwg View Post
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a little information, and it seems to be tough to get unbiased answers. I thought you guys could give me some advice. I'm the principal of an elementary school, and I am looking for a mower for my school. We have about six acres to mow. Most of the grounds are flat, but it does roll in some areas. There are no major hills. I would like to keep the cost as close to 5k as possible. Money is tight, especially in an elementary school. We have a good local dealer that had two recommendations. He suggested a Bad Boy ZT for $4999 or a Dixie Chopper Magnum for $5899. Looking at the catalog, it seems like the CTZ might be a closer comparison to the Magnum. I didn't get it a price on it though, so which one and why? I will more than likely buy from this dealer, so I would like to keep it to these brands if possible.

Thanks

Dixie Chopper Magnum $5899
Bad Boy ZT $4999
Bad Boy CZT $ ?
Other
I would pick DC if it was the Classic model Thinking the Magnum is more a Home owner model
If money is tight in long run be cheaper to contact the mowing out
Maintance and the labor,gas will eat you up
Good luck
Old 09-14-2012, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know many pros will stick up their noses at any machine that uses ZT transaxles instead of dual hydro drive. That said, like it or not, the industry as a whole is trending toward these systems, and what started with little EZT/IZTs now ranges all the way up to ZT-5400. Some manufacturers are even putting ZT-5400s on their top of the line pro machines. I was once told the number indicated the expected hours of use before major issues, but I can't speak directly about that.

Also, the price differential between a nice prosumer machine and a fully pro are significant, especially to one on a tight budget. I have not heard any horror stories about ZTs except fot the smallest & weakest units, and personally wouldn't hesitate to go with ZT-3400 or greater machine next time around (these were not available when I last purchased).

Staying in that same "family" as the DC Magnum, I think the Husqvarna MZ6128ZT is a lot of machine for the money. As I understand things, it uses the same frame and deck as its bigger brothers, the PZ series, but different drives and engine.

Another one I've heard nothing but good about is the Hustler FasTrak SD, although the last price I heard was more in the mid $6k range.

Whatever way you decide to go, having a good dealer in your area is a must.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have a Snapper Pro dealer in your area?

They are very good commerical machines for an affordable price.