Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-08-2015, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Am i the only weird freak on here?

Ok this is coming from a solo operation perspective.

does anyone else find it annoying when you get calls to trim shrubs or something from people that aren't your regular customers this time of year or am i the only one?

it's like mowing is going full swing, it's raining alot, and you are trying to get everything whipped into shape and fit it all into the week.

...then you get calls saying so and so says you do good work can you come trim my bushes?

i say is it alot of shrubs or just a few? they say oh it's just a few not many.

so i go look and it's 25-50 shrubs and crepe myrtles and all too.

that's not a few. i just tell them that's more than i can handle right now i need to take care of my regular customers.

i mean it's one thing if it was 5-10 shrubs and i could do it in 30min or less and also it would be ok if they were my regular customer because i would have trimmed them back in the late fall/early winter after mowing stopped for the season.

but i dunno maybe i'm just weird but this kindof thing drives me nuts. that $50 or so i'm gonna make just isn't worth it to me. it's more of an annoyance than anything.

sometimes it just seems people think they are helping you out or something but really they are being more of a hindrance to your business with this type of thing.

i don't wanna go jumping around all over the place doing these one time per year jobs (maybe twice) making $50-$100.

it makes more sense to just concentrate on regular mowing customers where i make anywhere from $750-$2500 a year per customer.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree 100%.

They never seem to call during the off season.

Im over booked this year, and cant even get to the extras my regular customers want.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yeah that's something i never understand. they want you to do those things now??? why didn't they call you back in nov or dec when you had the time and nothing else going on much?

they can't seem to understand if you take care of it in the fall then come spring time there won't be any cleanup or tidying up needed. it will have already been done and you will be good to go in the spring.

same thing happens with a few people with leaves. they dont' get them up in the fall. they wait til spring???

it's like people don't care about how their yard looks until the spring time. then they want you to come fix it all for them. no thanks.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Most people in this industry work for them selfs and their customers pay their bills and earn some semblance of a living after expenses. If the customers contacted the OP or anyone else during the off season or when the business was slow that would be in a perfect world. Perhaps if the OP and others of the same opinion would do more to market their services during the off season or slower times of the year than maybe the customers would not want so much work to be done in the Spring?
Really depends on how busy people want to be in this industry, or not. Having year round growing season makes scheduling work much easier than other parts of the country. I guess if there was to much work to be done in the off season companies would just as soon complain about having to work year round and not have a break in the winter and spring.
easy-lift guy
Old 04-08-2015, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i get it weeze. I pushed people for extras during the mild temps and they just frowned. Easter week rolls around, and now they want the supreme power wash. Extras are for my regulars. I'm not bumping someone because someone else flatters me and says i do good work. I like the ones who just want me to edge, but they'll cut it. "Just edge real quick" No. That will take longer than cutting.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Charge them extra. Trimming can be done in the pouring down rain if you want. You can't do clean-ups or lawns in pouring rain, but trimming is something that is feasible to do in the rain.

Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60" 3 bin bagger
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 04-08-2015, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Happens all the time. (well, in my "vast" 5 year experience it does, anyway)

Everyone waits until the grass is overdue for a cut and THEN they realize that "everything is growing now - I'd better get a cleanup done!"

Well, I'm busy mowing all day long at that point - you should have thought about that stuff a month ago.

And I always get calls for these massive "hedge removal" types of jobs. I neither have the time, nor inclination to dig out 300 established shrubby-shrubs all by myself. I just turned one away the other day - several hundred feet of shrubs - up against a fence. Pass. I have regular clients I need to take care of first.

And to top it off they seem to want all of this time-consuming cleanup stuff done for next to nothing. Maybe it's my location though.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Not trying to brag, but I won't work for anyone who isn't a seasonal client. To much bs, tell that to neighbors of my clients all the time. Let alone driving around for free estimates. Waste of time and money.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

it feels good to say no. Taking a shrub job like that could definitely mess up the flow of premium accounts. I guess the years doing this has made me very skeptical of those jobs. No thanks. I like doing things in increments. I usually make notes and do a few minutes of extras for my premium accounts. For those that want it all now, I just pass.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Tell them them prices start at 200 or Email photos
Posted via Mobile Device