Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-12-2012, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

? On pricing of clearing approx 25+ downed trees & 10+ damaged/dead standing trees

Have a few questions. Location is a subdivision with no houses. Trees are spread out over a fairly large area. Approx 25 trees fell or snapped off during hurrican isaac two weeks ago. Trees range in size from 20ft to 60+ft in length. Trees are entagled pretty good in some spots. Property owner wants all the downed trees cut up and hauled to back of the subdivision for latter disposal. Also has approx 10-15 standing trees he wants cut down also. This could lead to year round work with this developer. Equipment i have to move debris is skidsteer with grapple, tractor with fel, my crew. This is my first time pricing so many trees at one time. How would you vets go about this? Pics included.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-12-2012, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Do it hourly. Looks like a big job. Good luck
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-12-2012, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

For starters, I'd look at how much you can chip out of those trees. I'd look at haul off of the big logs if they aren't worth anything.

If you can get a mulcher in there for the tops and find an area to use as a landing, you can consolidate brush using a trailer loaded by the skid. Figure on $1200/day for a mulcher on a skid. It should be able to do the tops and branches from 25 trees in one day.

Once you have a mental picture of the size of the brush pile that can be chipped or mulched, the number of logs that are left to haul off that are too big to mulch or chip, you will be able to start pricing for your time.

It doesn't look like too bad of a job. I'd start cutting out and consolidating brush up to about 9" diameter, and you will make a lot of that volume disappear. Knowing what you need to cut and consolidate for chipping or mulching will help you price the whole job. If you can't sub out to a mulcher, you can rent a chipper and hand feed the small stuff up to about 12". If I was there, I'd bring out a 20" chipper with loader for ya..

I don't think it's as big a job as it looks with standing trees. Once those trees are cut to manageable lengths and ready to load, you will be able to get rid of a lot of the big stuff. Chipping that small, dry wood isn't fun but with three or four guys feeding a 12" chipper, you can clean up pretty good and maybe only spend $600 on renting a chipper. Maybe a day and a half of your time there if you have to move around to the piles you make.

You should be able to make pretty good money off of this if you plan well. The low ballers will come in and want to cut and haul everything off and they will spend a lot of time trying to load trailers. Recycle as much as you can on-site and haul off the big logs or chips which you can stack or load easier.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 09-12-2012, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks yellowdog. All debris will be piled in the back of the property. Im not bidding against anyone.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-12-2012, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

around here just for felling trees, no cleanup $75/tree.... looks like you can fell them no problem. I'd work out a flat rate on chipping up the limbs and see if you could sell off the logs or something else.... don't guess you all have much use for firewood down that way? And the $75/tree I know of people who have had at least 10 fell and paid that with no discount.

Last edited by gcbailey; 09-12-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If you aren't bidding against anyone and just have to cut them down and pile them up at the back of property, I'd figure out what you need for about 3 days of work. If you have to traverse 25 acres in a skid moving at 6 mph (unless you have two speed) or a tractor with grapple, it will take awhile to carry that stuff back and forth. Without a dump trailer, using a trailer won't be that much faster by the time you load and unload it even if you use the machines to help.

I do a lot of this work on jobs where the oaks are too big to chip or mulch and the rancher wants everything in one "hole" or burn location.
It'll probably take you two days if the trees are spread out. Bid for three so you have a buffer if you find that a lot of the trees are falling apart and you end up doing a lot of hand work to clean up. That will give you enough time to rake everything clean, leave the stumps nice and low, and clean up any tracks you left.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 09-12-2012, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yellowdog, could you pm me a lil info on how u would price this. I appreciate your info.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-12-2012, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I would guess about 2500.00 and will take 2 days with an excavator and skid. I am assuming that the trees will not have to be cut up small but hauled in long peices and or draggeed.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Property owner wants all debris cleaned up so grass can be mowed. And logs cut to maximum of 10ft lengths. Im meeting with the property owner 2morrow at 1pm.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-12-2012, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
I would guess about 2500.00 and will take 2 days with an excavator and skid. I am assuming that the trees will not have to be cut up small but hauled in long peices and or draggeed.
wow, you would be leaving alot of money on the table with that price... 2 days=40 machine hours=62 an hour?What about mobilization? Guys on the ground? Using the truck and trailer to haul the branches etc. Sounds way to cheap to me. If it was me i would do the job in 2 days with my equipment and charge 5-8k+. whatever you do dont work for a developer hourly. You can make good money doing odd jobs for developers. Develop a solid relationship with fair pricing(for both sides) and eventually you will just get asked when you can do the jobs for them not how much.

feel free to email me - Sean@alloaexcavating.com with anything i can help you with.

A.E.L

Excavating, Grading, Demolition, Land Clearing, Custom Grinding Services, Storm water management, Erosion Control.