Register free!

Old 07-02-2014, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Poly sanding portion of a project

I'm redoing a section of a large entrance. As with most things in life they wouldn't redo the entire thing but we are doing he best we can for them. I typically use polysand and have here in several bands that are seperate. One section we're doing in in a much larger area that was done w/o fabric and was pretty much laid on screenings. We're digging out 25*15 of it base and all. Putting in fabric and doing it correct. Since it's butting up to the screening filled joints I'm concerned that i likely shouldn't use polysand because I think it's encourage water to get trapped under my redone section. I'm just going to do it w/o the polysand. Y'all agree?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-02-2014, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonV View Post
I'm redoing a section of a large entrance. As with most things in life they wouldn't redo the entire thing but we are doing he best we can for them. I typically use polysand and have here in several bands that are seperate. One section we're doing in in a much larger area that was done w/o fabric and was pretty much laid on screenings. We're digging out 25*15 of it base and all. Putting in fabric and doing it correct. Since it's butting up to the screening filled joints I'm concerned that i likely shouldn't use polysand because I think it's encourage water to get trapped under my redone section. I'm just going to do it w/o the polysand. Y'all agree?
Posted via Mobile Device
Interlocking pavements have been around LONG before polysand.

We have hundreds of jobs that we did without polysand as it wasn't really known to exist at the time.

Polysand is not a DO OR DIE product.

Before we used polysand we used #2 Silica Sand. Came bone dry in bags which made for quick and easy sweeping.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-02-2014, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post

We have hundreds of jobs that we did without polysand as it wasn't really known to exist at the time.

Before we used polysand we used #2 Silica Sand. Came bone dry in bags which made for quick and easy sweeping.
Posted via Mobile Device
Since you've mentioned silica sand I was curious if you require all employees to wear respirators while working with silica. I mention this as I've noticed for years the effects of decades of exposure to sand and cement dust.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-02-2014, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device
I'm aware of polysand's newness. I was just curious what you'd do. The current project has gravel screenings/ stone dust. I won't put that down.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-04-2014, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonV View Post
I'm aware of polysand's newness. I was just curious what you'd do. The current project has gravel screenings/ stone dust. I won't put that down.
Posted via Mobile Device
you asked if we agree with your idea to do the job without poly sand.

So, yes I do agree with your idea.

however poly sand will brush in faster than masonry sand as masonry sand will be moist (if you were to use masonry sand).

Depending on the mood setting, I may chat with the client about poly sand, and I may explain that it's typically what is used in today's applications. I would also explain that gravel screenings are not exactly the right material and that as a professional I can't use it.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks DVS. We finished up Friday using sand. I'm not thrilled with the project because the section we did looks nice and straight and the area we didn't take up is anything but. Previous contractor even has cut pieces inside the field. It's a security entrance so most people are blowing through and will never notice but I sure do. Thanks for the help.
Quote:
you asked if we agree with your idea to do the job without poly sand.

So, yes I do agree with your idea.

however poly sand will brush in faster than masonry sand as masonry sand will be moist (if you were to use masonry sand).

Depending on the mood setting, I may chat with the client about poly sand, and I may explain that it's typically what is used in today's applications. I would also explain that gravel screenings are not exactly the right material and that as a professional I can't use it.
Posted via Mobile Device