Register free!

Old 09-12-2012, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Fertilizer for new lawn

I have a 10,500 sq ft yard of new Kentucky Bluegrass sod. It was put in in late July so Iím ready to do the first application of fertilizer. I waited this long because I did not want to proceed without getting a soil report first. I have that now and it reports that, per year / per 100 sq ft, I need 4 lbs of nitrogen (high maintenance schedule because of sprinkler system), 1.2 lbs of phosphate and 1.3 lbs of potassium. So Iím thinking I need to find something with a 4-1-1 ratio. Is there a brand or source you could steer me towards? If my math is correct, Iíll need to lay down about 42 pounds of N, and 12-13 pounds each of P and K per year for my lawn. What is the best schedule for doing this?
Old 09-12-2012, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There is no indication of where you live so it is hard to say when your winterizer would go down... here I'm ready for a second app of fert for mid Sept. and will have the winterizer down before mid-Oct...

I want the fert to be used up before the ground freezes so I apply it as water-soluable rather than slow-release... unused fertilizer pellets tend to get washed away at snow melt and even worse may end up in the water table...

4lbs/k is standard fair for lab reports on N... you could apply .5 or .75 lbs/k now,,, then again as winterizer...

P ,,, I would apply once and be done with adding that altogether... in fact I'm surprised that a lab report for turf would recommend P at all... they must think you're growing corn...

K ,,, you can add with the winterizer as is customary in most winterizing ferts...
Old 09-12-2012, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks. I'm in SE Michigan.

Good to know about the slow release.

I'm not sure why they recommend P. It's new construction with rocky clay soil underneath the nice stuff that came with the sod.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hopefully you have roots growing into that clay underneath the sod layer... sounds like a load of compost would be in order moreso than a particular fertilizer... aerating it first so that the compost gets down into the desired root zone a bit...
Old 09-13-2012, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am sure they recommended 4 pounds of nitrogen for 1000 sqft per year, (not 4 lbs per 100 sqft).
Axe is right--you don't need the phosphorus--and its not legal in Michigan--unless the soil test shows a deficiency, (below about 20 pounds per acre).

I think Scotts has a 26-0-8 or something similar--it would be fine. Follow the directions on the bag. You will get about one pound of nitrogen per 1000 sqft. Do the same about every 6 weeks next year, and it will total about 4 pounds of nitrogen per 1000 sqft per year.