Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-12-2012, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Member

What would you buy?

Not sure if this is the right place or not guys/gals so if not please move to proper thread.

I was wondering what you guys/gals would buy if you was in my shoe's. I'm looking to buy a new zero turn to mow my 2 acre yard. Mostly flat to gently slopes nice and open yard easy mowing. Looking for speed and quality cut. I'm currently mowing it with a 42" john deere garden tractor and its taking me way to long. So what would you buy if you had a budget of $5,000?

Thanks in advance,

James
Old 09-12-2012, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My dad in-law just bought a hustler fastrak for his yard after running my super z. He mows about an acre, acre and a half max, about every 5 days. May want to step up to the fastrak super duty if the price is right. But just about any major brand is going to be pretty good. Just don't use a mower from Lowes or hd
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-12-2012, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Member

I would buy the cheapest best condition 60in zero turn i could find on craigslist.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A friend of mine just bought a Snapper 48 inch zero turn for his 2 acres and I'm pretty sure it was around $4500. You should be able to find some deals this time of year.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies..

I've hit my local outdoor power equipment stores and so far with in my budget it looks like the options are.

Ferris IS 500Z 44" - $4999 Really like this mower but its only a 44" and on the max of my budget.

Hustler Sport 48" - $3999 Nice mower but mowing speed is only 6mph a little slow compared to others. Price is nice though.

Cub Cadet Z-Force 48" - $4199 Seems like a great package here just wonder about durability?

Possibly - Snapper 400Z 48" Retail is $4499 but haven't got the chance to ask my local dealer about it yet.

Of the mowers above what do you guys think is the best option?
Old 09-14-2012, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Do yourself a favor and don't buy anything until you at least look at the Gravely HD60. This is, spec for spec, the best bang for the buck for a $5,000 mower and you will not be disappointed.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Demo everything you are interested in. Get a feel for all the dealers. If they can't arrange a demo of a particular brand, then I'd probably pass on that brand. If they are unwilling to let you demo anything on your property, then I would pass on the dealer. It's not too much to ask for that. They would want to demo a brand before they began selling it, why wouldn't they expect the same from their customers? Pick the mowers you think offers the best compromise of quality and comfort and narrow it down from there.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPuck13 View Post
Do yourself a favor and don't buy anything until you at least look at the Gravely HD60. This is, spec for spec, the best bang for the buck for a $5,000 mower and you will not be disappointed.
I would have to agree I demoed one of these and for the money you can't beat it and if you are the only one using it and just your property it will last you a very long time. Or buy a low hours commerial unit around you area. I saw a scag tiger cat 27 hp 61 for 6500 only 35 hours looked new in my CL. Just stick to the good brands no junk.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Member

I second that on the Gravely HD.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Member

If you really like the ferris snapper pro is a ferris without the suspension for a heck of a lot less. would look for a used unit with low hours. Exmark does transfer warranty don't know about other brands. If you are gonna finance no question buy new the mower manufactures are giving 0% for 48 with payments starting next spring.
Posted via Mobile Device