Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-01-2014, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Flat Tires

How do you all fix the back tires on a ZT, Plug? Patch? Has anyone tried Duck tape on the inside?
I can not get the patches to stay on the inside. Monkey used to work good but I can not find it anymore only Slime.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking View Post
How do you all fix the back tires on a ZT, Plug? Patch? Has anyone tried Duck tape on the inside?
I can not get the patches to stay on the inside. Monkey used to work good but I can not find it anymore only Slime.
You need to use a grinder before you put patch on..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2014, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Duct Tape ?

Quote:
last week, our guys started doing hedges, and some one rode over some fire thorn, must have been 20 or more little holes. That is when I use Gemplers Ultra Tire sealer. Other wise it is a tire plug.
Attached Images

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 07-01-2014, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Normally I plug it, except when it's in the sidewall although with low speed tires even that is possible.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

One of those cat turd plugs is quick, easy and cheap.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:28 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think it depends on what kind and size the hole is. Is it from a nail, thorn, wire or a slit from steel, glass or something?

Either way, plugs are the go for a large hole but I also put slime in the tires as well! Actually, should put the slime in before you get the puncture!
Had a slit in a side wall once from a bolt sticking out of a fence post. Tire shop didnt want to know about patching it so I stuck 3 or 4 plugs into it. It still leaked obviously. Put slime in, pressured up, laid tire on its side so the slime was around the plug and left it over night.
I used that tire for a couple hundred hours after that without an issue. It sealed well! I think that tire was relatively new so had to try and save it!

My answer is both plugs and slime. Slime for prevention and helping a plug in larger holes!
Old 07-03-2014, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Putting an inner tube inside might be another good choice.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Plugs, rubber cement, and for added security.. set the plug on fire to melt it once everything has dried. Seen the guys in the shop do it, works pretty well. we had issues with the hot asphalt melting and pulling the sticky plugs out, but the setting them on fire method cured that.

28 Maintenance Crews, 3 Landscaping Crews, 3 Irigation Crews, 6 Turf Crews, 3 Maintenance Enhancment Crews, 2 Hardscapes Crews

70 Wright Stander 52"
12 Wright Stander 36"
9 Wright ZK 61"
18 Encore Rage 52" Stand On Mower
400+ pieces of RedMax Equipment
150+ pieces of Kawasaki Power Equipment
350+ pieces of Husqvarna Handheld Equipment
.....A constant barrage of broken machines!!
Old 07-03-2014, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Member

I bought a gallon of amerseal,I put about 6-8 ounces in the back tires of both walk behinds,my trailer had a slow leak and I put 8 ounces in that so far it's holding,there are so many thorns out here, good luck
Old 07-03-2014, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyDL77 View Post
Plugs, rubber cement, and for added security.. set the plug on fire to melt it once everything has dried. Seen the guys in the shop do it, works pretty well. we had issues with the hot asphalt melting and pulling the sticky plugs out, but the setting them on fire method cured that.
Got to be careful with that. I've seen more than one person light the whole tire on fire. That's hilarious to watch though

I used to grind it smooth, clean with some kind of acetone, then use glue on a pull through plug
Posted via Mobile Device