Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-09-2014, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Member

25HP Kohler engine siezed - what to do?

The Kohler 25CHQS 68571 on my 61" steiner ztm325 seized up the other day from lack of oil. Must have a leak I was not aware of, but in any case, it's no longer turning. Put a wrench on it and it won't budge. Pulled off the valve covers and everything there looks normal, so I'm assuming the problem is deeper.
So here's the question, I've had this mower for the last 8 years for mowing 12 very rough acres. It's had a hard life. But next week we're moving to the burbs, 3/4 acre of smooth Kentucky bluegrass. Winter's coming, so there's no urgent requirement to replace it. So, do I continue tearing it apart and attempt to fix it = rebuild, do I take it to a mechanic and let him replace the engine (I'm guessing ~$2500ish), do I order a short block and do it myself, or do I attempt to just sell the whole mess for parts or whatever (maybe get $500? Beats me?)?
Obviously, I don't need this big a mower for 3/4 acre, but it's also a sweet machine and even though it'd be nice to have something shiny and new, I'd hate to go spend $2500 on a 42" Home Depot special when I could spend it on this and have a quality, though tired, 61" machine that my son could go cut lawns with when he gets a few years older.
So whaddya think? And thanks.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Member

short block it unless u disassemble it and find that u can rebuild. Youll have a real machine and not a home depot