Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-13-2015, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Kohler 25 hp Carburetor Adjustment

What is the initial setting for the idle mixture screw on a Kohler 25 hp with the Keihin Carburetor. The carburetor is on Toro Z325. I attached some photos.. any help would be a appreciated.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Are you sure you can adjust. Most of them are preset with no adjustment.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes, I am sure it is adjustable. I just need the initial setting.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hmmm.....

If it weren't tampering with emmisions I would prolly say about 1 to 1 1/2 turns out...(off seat)
And fine tuning would be done at idle with a tachometer because you have to see the rpms ..you won't hear minute adjustments ...
But I won't tell you because it might be considered tampering...
Old 05-13-2015, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
Hmmm.....

If it weren't tampering with emmisions I would prolly say about 1 to 1 1/2 turns out...(off seat)
And fine tuning would be done at idle with a tachometer because you have to see the rpms ..you won't hear minute adjustments ...
Thanks, But I am not sure why your talking about emmisions. I cleaned the carburetor and I need the initial adjustment that is it.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadLandscaper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
Hmmm.....

Thanks, But I am not sure why your talking about emmisions. I cleaned the carburetor and I need the initial adjustment that is it.
Hahaha....sorry I couldn't help you...
BTW... you have one of the few carbs that the mixture screw is accessible... Most are covered with a Welch plug or are a fixed jet ( non adjustable).. you will never find any reference to that screw or the adjustment in any Kohler literature..
Welcome to emmisions... that screw doesn't exist....
Old 05-14-2015, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
It doesn't work that way, you have to know what you are doing because when it doesn't come out working the way it should nobody else is taking the blame for it one, and two is if you've never done this before then it's likely going to be an educational experience if not this time then sometime in the future because sooner or later you will run into the OMG what do I do NOW situation where no matter the literature available you will NOT have a correct initial setting.

With new carburetors they come adjusted from the factory.
And we could use those settings but unfortunately with wear and tear we could be off by as much as a 1/2 turn or worse so there's really no starting point from where to begin other than maybe start one full turn out, try to start it, then increase by 1/4 turn, try to start it, open another 1/4 turn, and keep doing that until the screw about falls out and you might want something solid underneath to catch it if it does fall out... If you get to that point you have to re-start the entire process but this time start with only 1/2 turn out and try to start it, then 1/4 turn increments.
Or maybe just start fully closed, 1/4 turn out, try to start it, rinse and repeat until you either get it started or the screw comes out, then start all over.

And keep doing that and if you do get it started you can then tweak it right and hope you don't ruin it because if in the end you can't get it started the only other solution is to replace that POS.

Oh yes, it's that kind of a process.

Last edited by herler; 05-14-2015 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post

Oh yes, it's that kind of a process.

Not at all! I asked a simple question and got stupid answers. What do you people not understand, the engine was running like **** , I removed the carburetor and cleaned it and wanted a simple initial setting for a idle mixture screw.

I do not let others (dealers) work on my equipment. I have been in business for 18 years and I am small engine mechanic and have serviced my own equipment . I also work as a golf course mechanic in the winters for the last 20 years. Not everybody who posts a question is ignorant or inexperienced. I did not need a lesson. I have had enough schooling.

Now you know why I have only 25 posts in 4 or 5 years on this forum.

.......Just in case anyone has this same Simple question for this common Kohler 25 hp horizontal engine with a Keihin Carburetor. The setting is 2 TURNS open from the seated position for the Idle mixture screw.You can fine tune if needed.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post

I do not let others (dealers) work on my equipment. I have had enough schooling.
Apparently Not..
Mechanical ability and Mechanical Experience are not the same thing...
Ignorance and Attitude can get very expensive..
Good luck...you'll need it..
Old 05-15-2015, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Not at all! I asked a simple question and got stupid answers. What do you people not understand, the engine was running like **** , I removed the carburetor and cleaned it and wanted a simple initial setting for a idle mixture screw.

I do not let others (dealers) work on my equipment. I have been in business for 18 years and I am small engine mechanic and have serviced my own equipment . I also work as a golf course mechanic in the winters for the last 20 years. Not everybody who posts a question is ignorant or inexperienced. I did not need a lesson. I have had enough schooling.

Now you know why I have only 25 posts in 4 or 5 years on this forum.

.......Just in case anyone has this same Simple question for this common Kohler 25 hp horizontal engine with a Keihin Carburetor. The setting is 2 TURNS open from the seated position for the Idle mixture screw.You can fine tune if needed.
Number of posts have nothing to do with anything. But, relax. You're going to fit right in here. Egos are abundant. Some even know what they're talking about. Glad I didn't post because I could have sworn it was 1 turn open. You do want to turn it either way to get the fastest speed then turn it out about 1/8 to reduce the idle by about 200 rpm. Then set speed to 1200-1500. But you probably already have it done.