The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-15-2012, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver_GA View Post
Where's the "like" button?
You worry me.

The rest of you are a bunch of Nancy's. If merely trying to start the equipment wears you out, you ain't gonna make it in a labor intensive industry.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-15-2012, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
And then they say "no problem, I'll do anything for Dick"
Posted via Mobile Device
You worry me too.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Member

I changed to a 20v Dewalt instead of using a power inverter/battery combo. Really nice, starts like butter. My equipment starts VERY well by pulling it, but the catch is this: the compression changes, so sometimes it is stuck in top dead center and I end up clanking the pull...... and then other times it is super easy and I end up with no resistance at all, raising the roof out of it, which is also not pleasant. So, I end up having to pull hard every time while bracing myself for those two extremes. Also, towards the end of the day in the summer every year, the heat causes my equipment to start rougher (6-7 pulls). This is problematic when I am working in the South Florida heat trying to chill out. I still have to check the lines and grommet on the tanks, since they may not be sealing up and the unit is losing its prime? Not sure why this happens.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Magpie View Post
I changed to a 20v Dewalt instead of using a power inverter/battery combo. Really nice, starts like butter. My equipment starts VERY well by pulling it, but the catch is this: the compression changes, so sometimes it is stuck in top dead center and I end up clanking the pull...... and then other times it is super easy and I end up with no resistance at all, raising the roof out of it, which is also not pleasant. So, I end up having to pull hard every time while bracing myself for those two extremes. Also, towards the end of the day in the summer every year, the heat causes my equipment to start rougher (6-7 pulls). This is problematic when I am working in the South Florida heat trying to chill out. I still have to check the lines and grommet on the tanks, since they may not be sealing up and the unit is losing its prime? Not sure why this happens.
Sounds like good old fashioned vapor lock. Pumping the primer bulb a couple times should help that. Also if your running 93 octane it can make engines harder to start.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2012, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Member

I have seen this as a drill attachment for about $10, as it's on device that you plug into a wall outlet for $30+ and also as a rechargeable device that has batteries like most cordless tools for just under $50.

I think it is more a gadget or aimed more for the consumer, and liked by woman that have trouble starting equipment, or guys that have troubleosme equipment.

For my day to day work (still part time for now) I don't have a need for it. Where I might consider it is for equipment I have in my shop. I will work on stuff as best I can till I give up and bring it to a dealer, but in the process of adjustesting, cleaning and just trying to get something to work, there can be an incredible amount of pulls. Sometimes I give up on something and bring it to the dealer just because I am fed up with pulling till I am winded. So as a shop tool, this could be good.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

years ago redmax sold a backpack blower with elect start. not a bad idea actually-how many times have any of us had to shut off the back pack to talk to a customer?also there was an elect start trimmer made by tanaka if i remember right
Old 09-16-2012, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
You worry me.

The rest of you are a bunch of Nancy's. If merely trying to start the equipment wears you out, you ain't gonna make it in a labor intensive industry.
Posted via Mobile Device
For me it is the fact of having the blower on my back, needing to take it off, restart it, and then have someone talk to me AGAIN!

Honda HRC216HXA Commercial 21" Mower
Stihl FS90r
Stihl KM110 with String Trimmer, Articulating Hedge Trimmer, and Pick Tine Cultivator
Stihl BR600 Backpack Blower
Stihl SH56 Shredder Vac
Stihl MS250 Chain Saw
Old 09-18-2012, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks!

Just wanted to say thanks to several guys who told me that pulling the starter shouldn't be so hard. Got me thinking. My units are all 4 years old and are kept in my open truck bed. The UV rays made the return fuel line harden and shrink which caused the tank to be slightly unsealed. Now that I have switched the hoses, all 3 units start perfectly, even in the heat. No need to convert the units, use the drill, lock the drill up, etc. Live and learn I guess. Thanks again.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Good deal!