Register free!

Old 09-13-2012, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Flea problem

I have a small dog about ten pounds and put advantix on her monthly. We have a small yard 125 x 40. She gets fleas on her daily. Two times last week I sprayed the entire yard with crosscheck from lesco. I vacuum the entire house every other day. I have been giving her flea baths every other day but the problem is getting worse. The last bath had 10-12 on her, some dead, half dead and some still alive. Can anyone help here?
48 and 52 inch Scag Pro-V's
48 and 36 inch Great Dane hydro WB's
2-21in Honda HRC 216 hydro
Echo Hedge trimmer HC-150
2- Shindaiwa multi tool M2510
2-Hitachi string trimmers
Shindaiwa BP blower 854
Robin BP blower
Shindaiwa HT 2510 30in single sided trimmers
Echo Blower ES-230
Stihl Chain Saw 250
Old 09-13-2012, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJWLAWNCARE View Post
I have a small dog about ten pounds and put advantix on her monthly. We have a small yard 125 x 40. She gets fleas on her daily. Two times last week I sprayed the entire yard with crosscheck from lesco. I vacuum the entire house every other day. I have been giving her flea baths every other day but the problem is getting worse. The last bath had 10-12 on her, some dead, half dead and some still alive. Can anyone help here?

Add an IGR. Look it up. Read about it. This may help.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-13-2012, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfmd101 View Post
Add an IGR. Look it up. Read about it. This may help.
Posted via Mobile Device
Turf - would the OP being able to pick up a bottle of termidor and spray lawn, shrubs and slowly eliminate the problem?

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 09-13-2012, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
Turf - would the OP being able to pick up a bottle of termidor and spray lawn, shrubs and slowly eliminate the problem?
If ants were the pest. Last I knew term was labeled. Above ground perimeter ant treatment only. Not the areas you mentioned. Plus fipronil is more designed to kill social insects. Colony type insects.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-13-2012, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfmd101 View Post
If ants were the pest. Last I knew term was labeled. Above ground perimeter ant treatment only. Not the areas you mentioned. Plus fipronil is more designed to kill social insects. Colony type insects.
Posted via Mobile Device
K, was just asking because many of the flea controls you actually put on your pets for flea control has fipronil as the AI. Thought it maybe would offer the same control at a possible lower cost!

Thanks for answering.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 09-13-2012, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJWLAWNCARE View Post
Please Ignore all of the Mis-information posted above by un-qualified people.

Fleas can be a Health Risk and as a Certified Structural Pest Control operator, I strongly suggest you call a Professional Pest Control Company to handle your problem.

If you want to try to control Fleas yourself, at least use the correct products and read/Follow their labels. Pre Core 2000 in Aerosol cans and Alpine are for inside application and have a long residual. Outside use any pyrethroid insecticide. However spray every thing from the 20 ft high mark on down at the rate of 10 gallon of finish spray per thousand Sq Ft. Because Fleas have a 28 day life cycle you need to re-treat every 30 days for the first 60 days or 3 times in a row.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Please Ignore all of the Mis-information posted above by un-qualified people.

Ric....please explain what MIS INFORMATION was given above that you are so concerned about. I asked a question to TURF....He answered me....I informed him why I was asking that to HIM and thanked him....He answered the OP with the suggestion of a Insect Growth Regulator ....You make a big scene....and suggest a INSCECT GROWTH REGULATOR .......must be alot of mis information going on huh!!

Old 09-14-2012, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you Poet. By the way, might be the same AI(fipronil) but different % AI and different carrier for the molecule. The carrier would be bad for dermal.

10-4 Poet adding a IGR to crosscheck (bifenthrin) a pyrethroid. much like precor2000 just not an aerosol.

I would follow the crosscheck label instructions. use the max rate for outside. Only use 3 gal of spray solution per 1000sq ft. Spray every 12 to 14 days for optimum control.

If the problem has been going for a while and getting worse. Fleas tend to go strong for about 6 weeks per event. Things will slow down and become easier near the end of their cycle.

Don't let Ric make it sound so impossible for an intelligent person to accomplish this task.

Crosschecks residual is 12 to 14 days outside if your lucky.
Inside residual maby 1/3 longer.

By the way. Who has pets that doesn't have a can or two of Precor2000.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey we have been going through this for the past 3-4 weeks...my wife is crazed about this...thought this was a good article..

WE NEED TO THROW OUT ANY OF THEIR TOYS OUTSIDE BECAUSE THEY HAVE BEEN SPRAYED WITH PESTICIDE

YOU WILL SEE FLEAS HATCHING ON DAYS FOLLOWING SPRAY TREATMENT.
One of the most common complaints comes from people who have just sprayed their lawn for fleas or had the lawn treated by a pest control service. Many people expect to never see another flea, as soon as their lawn has been sprayed. It does not matter whether they sprayed their own lawn or hired a professional for the flea treatment, they still expect to see miracles immediately after the spray treatment.
Seeing fleas after treatment is quite normal and does not mean that your flea control products not working. Adult fleas and a few flea larvae are killed by coming into contact with your insecticide, usually within a couple of hours after coming into contact with the flea spray. Flea pupae are water-tight and are not affected by your spray. Expect to see fleas after you spray – this is normal!!
In areas where fleas are always a problem (due to stray cats, squirrels, rodents or other wildlife) an IGR that contains Nylar can help long term control of flea eggs and flea larvae.
Insecticides kill adult fleas; IGR controls eggs and larvae; nothing kills flea pupae!
Imagine that there are thousands of water-tight cocoons (larvae) scattered over your lawn. Inside of these cocoons are fleas, in different stages of their development. While some of the cocoons contain flea larvae that have just recently built their cocoon, others have grown into fully developed adult fleas. As these fully developed fleas feel the heat, humidity, vibrations and other signals that a possible host is nearby, they will hatch out of their protected pupa casing to locate a blood meal. If the lawn has been properly sprayed, these newly emerged fleas will eventually move through the pesticide material where they will accumulate a lethal dose of the insecticide.
NOT ALL FLEAS WILL EMERGE FROM THEIR PUPAE AT THE SAME TIME. Many people think that all the fleas in their lawn will go through a cycle that has the fleas emerging at the same time. It is true that all fleas go through this cycle - but not all at the same time.
There are hundreds or thousands of female fleas in your lawn that have mated and had the necessary blood meals to reproduce. Each mated female flea will lay a few eggs every day, eventually laying 200 to 500 eggs in her life span! It is not rational to believe that two pesticide applications spaced 14 days apart will catch the flea life cycle and immediately exterminate the flea population. The flea life cycle is going on in your lawn literally every few seconds!
After spraying their lawn for fleas, most people report a sudden increase in biting fleas approximately 2 weeks after the pesticide application. This is not due to the life cycle of the flea. It is, however, due to the pesticide beginning to break down to the point where it is no longer showing its best knock-down power. This is why a second spray is often needed, about 14 days from the initial application.
Summary: Problems in Flea Control
Fleas do not just disappear immediately after treatment. Expect to see a hatching for several days after treatment begins. Severe infestations can take as long as six to eight weeks to bring under control, due to huge numbers of flea pupae in the area.
An IGR (insect growth regulator) can be used outdoors to aid stubborn problems. Precor is an excellent indoor IGR but will not work outdoors. Direct sunlight usually breaks down Precor in an hour or two. If you want or need an outdoor IGR added to your insecticide, use one that contains Nylar. Archer, Flea Fix and IG Regulator are brands that contain Nylar. Use at least one ounce of Nylar per 1,000 square feet of area to be treated. Nylar usually provides about 4 weeks of residual action outdoors. Cases of the IGR working for over three months have been documented but most customers report about one month of control over flea larvae when using Nylar with their insecticide application.
Always use a hose end sprayer instead of a pump type garden sprayer when treating for fleas. At least 3 gallons of solution per 1,000 square feet is needed to properly treat outdoors. You cannot get proper coverage by walking around your yard with a pump type sprayer.
There are many types, styles and brands of hose end sprayers available. Avoid using no-clog type sprayers that are meant for use when applying water soluble fertilizers. These sprayers work fine for fertilizers but are not accurate enough to thoroughly and safely apply pesticides to your lawn.
Use a hose end sprayer that has a siphon tube. A Gilmour Dial-A-Mix or a 20 gallon hose end sprayer will work.
Spraying every day will not kill fleas “deader” or faster. The fleas seen hatching out immediately after your spray treatment will die. You should always wait at least 14 days between treatments. Many professionals guarantee flea jobs for 30 days but will not repeat their flea killing treatment for at least 14 days.
Insecticides used outdoors can last for up to a month, killing ants and other easily controlled pests but these same insecticides will hold up (on average) about 10 to 14 days for existing flea problems.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you inspect inside for signs of fleas? Look for dark colored dust. Put dust samples on a sheet of white paper, and spray with a fine mist of water. If it turns red, you've found flea excrement (this works with dander from the pet collected on a comb as well).

Check around where the pet sleeps, and likes to spend time. Vacuum everything carefully. Wash all its bedding. Vacuum all the crevices on the couch it likes.

I've used "Ultracide" indoors. It is an IGR which gives 6 months of control, plus a pyrethroid for quick flea/larvae kill, and it is suitable to be sprayed on hard and fabric surfaces. So spray around an under the pet's bedding, and where it spends its time (after vacuuming and cleaning).
You NEED residual control to get past the hatching eggs.