Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-15-2012, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There is a guy around here that uses plows on his two grandstands. So im guessing it works, dont see why not

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 09-15-2012, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

hey casey, call me. I am not the guy in equipment section.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2012, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Member

3 mowers with leaf plows managed to move about 8 cu yards of leaves from a back yard in a matter of minutes last year.
In 2009 it took me over an hour to move all the leaves with tarps on the same property.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Wow! In my 20+ years doing landscaping I've never thought of plowing the leaves! I consider myself quite innovative but feel a little short-sighted on this one!

I've got a large strata property where I'll be bombarded with leaves in the fall, both from front end pavement areas to back area turf. I'm going to use my 2 bobcats with broom attachments to push into piles and then load into bins. When the bins are full they'll go to my property for leave mulching.

I like the plow idea, though, for the turf. I'm assuming the plow attachment's tines wouldn't agree with paved areas. Any thoughts on that?
Old 09-23-2012, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFuller View Post
Wow! In my 20+ years doing landscaping I've never thought of plowing the leaves! I consider myself quite innovative but feel a little short-sighted on this one!

I've got a large strata property where I'll be bombarded with leaves in the fall, both from front end pavement areas to back area turf. I'm going to use my 2 bobcats with broom attachments to push into piles and then load into bins. When the bins are full they'll go to my property for leave mulching.

I like the plow idea, though, for the turf. I'm assuming the plow attachment's tines wouldn't agree with paved areas. Any thoughts on that?
They have adjustable wheel heights just like you're jrco dethatchers, they are fine across pavement
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2012, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I own 2 been using them for the 10 years iv been in business and about 5 years before that. They are not used nor needed on every lawn some days when were doing fall clean ups they are not needed at all. But when they are needed these things can do an hours work in 5 mins. We mount ours to the lazers they have 27hps the one weakness of the design has always been the mounting hardware. Iv had to make much stronger straps they will bend when you push heavy loads and lets face it that's the reason you want them. I always have a heavy rope tied to the top rail of the plow and I am holding the other end of it in a free hand while I steer the mower with the other hand this keeps it from buckling. When you have a pile or wall of leaves over a foot they become very useful. More so when the wall of leaves hits a yard in height then you will start having 8-10 yards of leaves per push and that can weigh in 500-1000 pounds. Always nice to do a 20 min 3 man tarp job in 2 or 3 45 second pushes.

Iv done a few monster clean ups with 4-5 guys on ground blowers and back packs where I sat on the mower plowing leaves for an entire hour. And when the plowing was done id have a pile behind the vac truck 6 feet tall 12 feet wide and 200 feet long the entire length of the property. Not bad for an hours work hope that info helps.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Talking

This is an awesome thread!!! Ive been doing leaves for about 3 or so seasons now. Ive done them all the usual ways, blowers, rakes, tarps, cans, etc.. Im very curious about a leaf plow I have an older walk behind and im going to try to make one for it. I searched for homemade leaf plow didnt see a lot. Anybody have pics of leaf plows?? Homemade ones and purchased? I can see where a plow would really come in handy
Old 09-24-2012, 06:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the info Kelly!! I have a account that takes two guys around 80 hours to complete it's about 5 acres of woods with curbside pick up. I have not done this property but I got it with the business I bought. He used bp blowers, 13hp billygoat blower, 16hp trac vac leaf loader and another trac vac on a ztr. I think with 6in deep leafs everywhere a plow would come in handy to get the bulk to the road or leaf loader. Was it a Jrco leaf plow that you were referring too??
Old 09-24-2012, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Very useful for moving leaves to curb for the vac. We use one. I do beef up the mounting frame and add diagonal braces for additional support. We push a lot of leaves with it. When the leaves are wet, they will tend to stack together in the pile. We will have an extra guy on the vac crew using a steel rake to break up the pile.
61" Wright zk
ASV SR 70
Takeuchi 135
Kubota 7610 40" rotadarion
20' enclosed 10k lawncare trailer
18' aluminum 12k equipment trailer
35hp Giant Vac leaf loader
Old 09-24-2012, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Member

The width of the deck would have nothing to do with it being able to push leaves. Now the engine and hydro pumps would.

South Eastern Connecticut Pressure Washing

South Eastern Connecticut Spring and Fall Clean Up

52" Brutus/52" Super Surfer/44" Pro Line/60" ZMaster
EB630/EB802/EBZ7150/EBZ8000/BR400/Billy Goat 8Hp
2 FS55/FS90/FC95/2 KM90/L322/L326/TR2350S
HC150/HC155/CHTZ2460
00/04 silverado 8ft Fisher/F250 01 9.5v Fisher/
CASE 1816/CASE 1845/