Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-15-2012, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So Mr Lawnsite guy where will this be moved to.....
Old 09-15-2012, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gob71 View Post
The hvac computer may have lost programming or had a fault causing the issue. Turn the radio and heat/ac off. Pull the hvac/ecs fuse under the hood for at least 3 mins. Then replace the fuse and start the truck......do not touch the ac or radio...leave it alone and let the truck run for 5 mins to see if it solves the issue. If this does not solve the issue it may be the drivers side actuator, which on that truck is easy to get to and replace , you can do it yourself. Try the reprogramming first and report back and we can go from there.
Ok I did that so I will have to drive it a few days to see if that changes anything. Pulled fuse for 3 min. and the five minutes I turned on AC and it worked fine. It always works fine right after turnign the engine on. Moving that temp control up/down when it is failing changes nothing until I shut off the engine and restart it.
Chev said actuator runs around $180 does that sound right or was he quoting me installed price?
Old 09-15-2012, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerlawn View Post
More specifically its called the Blend door actuator and is accessed from the drivers side basically right smack dab in the middle right above the hump. There are 2 (or should be) air door actuators one accessed from the drivers side and one from the passenger side don't get them confused! I've read that you do not want to plug the harness into the actuator until it is installed in the vehicle as it will over extend it or what not. I picked up one from LMC truck for about $140 but I've seen them for cheaper on amazon and what not. Sorry if this is confusing been a crazy week of seeding around here! Lemme know if you have any questions
thanks that is getting it narrowed to what I thought.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well thanks for getting me the correct name.....now I can google chev blend door acturator and first thing that popped up was a utube showing how to replace one. And of course all the ebay stuff came on with prices...so basically it is a $50 part. Th is internet is great thanks AL.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dude my 04 Chevy does this. Turn truck off and it will be fine for a bit. Passenger side is ice cold while my side is smoking hot. Passes me off
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2012, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gob71 View Post
The hvac computer may have lost programming or had a fault causing the issue. Turn the radio and heat/ac off. Pull the hvac/ecs fuse under the hood for at least 3 mins. Then replace the fuse and start the truck......do not touch the ac or radio...leave it alone and let the truck run for 5 mins to see if it solves the issue. If this does not solve the issue it may be the drivers side actuator, which on that truck is easy to get to and replace , you can do it yourself. Try the reprogramming first and report back and we can go from there.
I gave this a little more thought. That blend door servo has to be driven by voltageto make it move around. So when I am driving along with the temp control device in full cold the computer or something must start putting voltage on that servor to turn. Now I suppose this sliding temp control swithch could be faulty. Is my logic wrong?
Old 09-16-2012, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I told you what to do. Anything else and you're just guessing
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2012, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Blend door doesn't usually happen if it's sitting still. May be the temp sensor. Take it to a shop and have body codes scanned, that will get you going in the right direction.

Blend door is an expensive guess. Yes it is common, but there's ways to troubleshoot it.
Posted via Mobile Device
I missed your input sorry, I will get codes. What do you mean by blend door doesn't usually happen when if its sitting still? It is obvious that if I suddenly get hot air then the blend door has to operate and move the door right? So I would agree that it doesn't seem like blend door actuator is at fault.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Blend door lets outside air in. Hot air usually comes in when the car is moving. When you're sitting still it usually is somewhat cool.

I'm not sayin any one is wrong; it could very well be the door. But its too expensive to throw parts at imo
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2012, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Blend door lets outside air in. Hot air usually comes in when the car is moving. When you're sitting still it usually is somewhat cool.

I'm not sayin any one is wrong; it could very well be the door. But its too expensive to throw parts at imo
Posted via Mobile Device
Blend door actuator is only $40? I don't think it is the actuator either but I am trying to figure out what are the other things. The slider switch is a player right?