Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-16-2012, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I personally didn't think that it was the blend door either at first because it just didn't make sense. But the guy at the parts store said that this was the problem and I figured give it a shot (hey if it didn't work I would just put the old one back in and return the part.) It took me about 2hrs to change out only cause its a pita to access with all the harnesses and what not stuffed under there. Heres the step by step procedure that I used..

http://www.sparkys-answers.com/2011/...ging-mode.html
Old 09-16-2012, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Yeah you have temp sens, control panel, blend door, etc
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2012, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If the panel isnt digital you can cross out sensor
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2012, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
If the panel isnt digital you can cross out sensor
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Correct that is good a little simpler.
Think there is some type of solid state module in the fuse case that goes between the sliding temp control and the blend servo?
Old 09-18-2012, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Got appointment with Chev Service. After talking with a couple people with knowledge of this problem they said they would replace the blend door actuator. There arn't any codes to help. And the operation is pretty simple in that the sliding temp controls connects directly to blend actuator. At least that is their understand. So I said if I give you $20 will you walk back to shop and ask repair guy where the actuator is and how to get it out. They said sure because they got so much business they rather not have more. He came back and pointed to area and what panels to take off. As a side light they get 2 hours labor $240 and $180 for the actuator. And if that don't fix it tooo bad since it could be other things like a short or the sliding temp control

The good news is I haven't had a failure since I pulled the fuse on the Hvac/ecs and let it reprogram itself. So I am hold since cold front came thru.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Did somebody say cold front....we got another inch of rain today...no cool air in sight..

Been sitting on the sidelines on this one...I have an 03 silverado that has a phantom battery light on the dash...sometimes it stays dimly lit when the truck is parked...sometimes it doesn't...thought about putting a sticker or something on the dash to cover it....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2012, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Member

hey slapper, cloth black tape dosen't glare
Ed: my 2 cents, I have a lincoln ls that does it intermitently, I've read its the dual climate control. I haven't fixed it but I've read that it's something like a canister and it can be taken apart and greased with vaseline or simular grease. Heads up WINTERS COMING. so I'm scared to screw with mine. rather be warm than froze.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crater View Post
hey slapper, cloth black tape dosen't glare
Ed: my 2 cents, I have a lincoln ls that does it intermitently, I've read its the dual climate control. I haven't fixed it but I've read that it's something like a canister and it can be taken apart and greased with vaseline or simular grease. Heads up WINTERS COMING. so I'm scared to screw with mine. rather be warm than froze.
I opened thread in chev forum and first response said that he would look for electrical problem(open or intermitten short) that causes the problem. The temp input from swithc goes to a processor which local dealer didn't understand. The chev forum guy would have bet big money that my $400 would not have fixed the problem. so I will be pounding around on that cage to see what happens.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Member

If the vehicle has automatic climate control, inputs from the temperature selector slider, outside air temperature sensor, and inside air temperature sensor go to the control module which selects blend door position, mode (air outlet location), and blower speed. In a manual climate control the temperature selector slider controls the voltage of the blend door actuator directly. Your blower speed and air outlet location have to be changed manually so you have a manual control and the temperature lever controls the blend door directly. The dealer was correct but you can listen to the guy on the internet if you want to.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckPMi View Post
If the vehicle has automatic climate control, inputs from the temperature selector slider, outside air temperature sensor, and inside air temperature sensor go to the control module which selects blend door position, mode (air outlet location), and blower speed. In a manual climate control the temperature selector slider controls the voltage of the blend door actuator directly. Your blower speed and air outlet location have to be changed manually so you have a manual control and the temperature lever controls the blend door directly. The dealer was correct but you can listen to the guy on the internet if you want to.
Ok so what is the explanation for that actuator moving to open the air door suddenly? The temp selection device is a slider up and down for cold to hot and I got it on cold. My temp selection doesn't affect fan speed it is simply a manual thing. I think I got pictures at top of thread. I want to believe just replace the actuation since I can do that and probably will in the winter.