Register free!

Old 02-24-2013, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Member

soil situation/soil test?

So i got a call from a new client that wants to get grass growing in a majority of his backyard. The thing is he had a garage built 2 years ago and the company that did it used the dirt they took up for the slab to lay all over the backyard to level it a bit more, he said it had some dips and such throughout it. So now the areas where the dirt was spread is not yielding good grass. He said he thinks it needs a soil test which I am looking at sending to Virginia Tech which to my research is the best place near me in Virginia. The soil seems very rocky. So should I send the soil tests in from different areas and see what they say about it and go form there? He said he has spent thousands trying to get good grass and he hasn't had any luck and is skeptical about doing new stuff. I told him we can do the soil tests and go from there and that if I felt I couldn't do much for him I wouldn't beat the bush but tell him straight up I'm not the one for the job. I think he's going to have to have some better topsoil brought in and redo the backyard, but this is kind of new to me so i figured I'd ask on here first.....

Sorry for the paragraph and thank you for any answers or help I may get....