Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-15-2012, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Call for quote on property another lawnsite member currently has

Got a call today from a condo that requires a complete yearly maintenance quote. Upon a little investigation of my own, I found out the company who currently holds the contract is a member of lawnsite.

So I went to property today and it was looking pretty good, but not up to my standards, lots of room for improvement.

Fact is the condo is unhappy with current service, they say there is a notice period given to current guy before I could start. So would you fell obligated to give the guy a heads up?

I WILL bid it properly so no lowballing the other guy.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Hell NO!

LOL, I admire your work ethic, however no answer is no. If you gave every potential customers company a heads up that the homeowner was unhappy, you wouldn't be in business for very long. Not to mention, if the potential customer finds out you did this, I doubt you would even be considered for the bidding process after that move. Chances are, the potential customer is not just firing their current company without warning or giving them ample time to correct the issues. Plus, you already said that the current company isnt holding up to its end of the bargain. Bottom line is they are not doing what it takes to keep their customers happy. We all deal with this man, you cannot control who calls you for an estimate. I agree that it sucks this other guy may lose the account, but just because someone uses the same forum site as me does not mean I am obligated to let him know about the situation.

Also, I could see maybe doing something like this if the property looked absolutely amazing, but as you said that is not the case.

Goodluck with the bid!
Old 09-15-2012, 02:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Money is green. Get it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-15-2012, 07:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

All is fair in love and war...
Unless the guy is your brother or best friend then you have no obligation to tell him anything. If he approached you all pissed off I would say they called me because they were unhappy with your work, I didn't call them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-15-2012, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In my experience, alot of times with HOA's they ask for specific things to be done as part of the contract. Period.

Other things have to be approved at a later date and funding has to be moved from other budgets or savings they have. This could be hedge pruning, mulching, tree pruning...

I've waited years for financing of extra's to be approved by apathetic councils. The job can go well for the landscaper for a year or two until the council changes.

Then you may get a new council that is "Out to make the last council look inferior" .

At that point, things that the landscaper was patiently waiting to have financing approved for, appears to be the landscapers fault for not being done.
Alot of fingers start to point at us. The new council and its' members rarely read the landscape contract. They don't realize that extra work costs extra money. They probably won't listen to reason.

Perhaps the original landscaper is fulfilling all of their contractual obligations, but has been dealing with an apathetic council that's being cheap.

The job is probably squeeky tight on the budget already. The new council normally won't alocate more money to the landscaping budget. It's most likely been at the same low rate for years. If you look at the history of who has worked there in the past, you'll probably find a bunch of landscapers who worked their butts off, but were frustrated by a cheap and apathetic HOA.

I find this scenario at many Strata properties. Good Luck.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.NewEarth View Post
In my experience, alot of times with HOA's they ask for specific things to be done as part of the contract. Period.

Other things have to be approved at a later date and funding has to be moved from other budgets or savings they have. This could be hedge pruning, mulching, tree pruning...

I've waited years for financing of extra's to be approved by apathetic councils. The job can go well for the landscaper for a year or two until the council changes.

Then you may get a new council that is "Out to make the last council look inferior" .

At that point, things that the landscaper was patiently waiting to have financing approved for, appears to be the landscapers fault for not being done.
Alot of fingers start to point at us. The new council and its' members rarely read the landscape contract. They don't realize that extra work costs extra money. They probably won't listen to reason.

Perhaps the original landscaper is fulfilling all of their contractual obligations, but has been dealing with an apathetic council that's being cheap.

The job is probably squeeky tight on the budget already. The new council normally won't alocate more money to the landscaping budget. It's most likely been at the same low rate for years. If you look at the history of who has worked there in the past, you'll probably find a bunch of landscapers who worked their butts off, but were frustrated by a cheap and apathetic HOA.

I find this scenario at many Strata properties. Good Luck.

This is true, the current guy may be glad to get rid of it and you are of course under no obligation to contact him. Recently I was contacted by a commercial property that I maintain and was told that they were not going to just renew for the next year, as our contract allowed for. I was told they were going to rebid and they wanted me to bid. I asked why as I had not received any written complaints, as our contract called for. I was told, you know the game and I replied yes I do, but I chose not to play, we are going above and beyond what the contract calls for and I am not getting beat down on price every year. One week before the end of the current contract I received a new signed contract for the property and a phone call to let me know to "just continue as we had been doing". It's a game that you don't always have to play.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjcurry3 View Post
LOL, I admire your work ethic, however no answer is no. If you gave every potential customers company a heads up that the homeowner was unhappy, you wouldn't be in business for very long. Not to mention, if the potential customer finds out you did this, I doubt you would even be considered for the bidding process after that move. Chances are, the potential customer is not just firing their current company without warning or giving them ample time to correct the issues. Plus, you already said that the current company isnt holding up to its end of the bargain. Bottom line is they are not doing what it takes to keep their customers happy. We all deal with this man, you cannot control who calls you for an estimate. I agree that it sucks this other guy may lose the account, but just because someone uses the same forum site as me does not mean I am obligated to let him know about the situation.

Also, I could see maybe doing something like this if the property looked absolutely amazing, but as you said that is not the case.

Goodluck with the bid!
This sums it up perfectly...business is business...end of story
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Old 09-15-2012, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I will not poach another property that I know is doing it. But I get a call from that property ,I'm all in.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Member

If they contact you, it is fair game.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yep fair game but it seems there is always someone out there that says they can do it better then the next company
Posted via Mobile Device