Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-21-2012, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Shindaiwa t282

I have a Shindaiwa t282, it lost power. I cleaned the carbon out of the exhaust port by the piston, and the screen on the exhaust was taken off when I bought it 2yrs ago. When I turn the trimmer at an angle where the air filter is down to the ground, the trimmer runs good, then when flat, it looses power. When I edge with the exhaust side down, it picks up power a bit, but not much. I cut the fuel line at the top thinking maybe there was a slight tear in the line (although there was no evidence) and that did nothing. I took the exhaust off, knocked it with the plastic end of a screw driver then knocked it on concrete to knock anything loose in the exhaust. Then I took a torch and torched the exhaust to burn anything off that could restrict proper exhaust and nothing worked. When I run the trimmer with the exhaust off, it seems to have the right amount of power when the trimmer is at any angle? I was considering putting a new exhaust on it, but at $75 (haven't checked online prices yet) I want to make sure it is a good decision. I also replaced the spark plug and fuel filter, and cleaned the air filter. I actually had a customer approach me today and she asked if something was wrong with my trimmer because it sounded sick! Please help!
Old 09-23-2012, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I also cleaned the carburetor very good, but it still loses power when flat. Do you think this is a fuel line problem, or exhaust?
Old 09-23-2012, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Member

check the placement of the fuel filter position in the gas tank. Re-routing it may improve performance.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

May want to just replace the whole fuel line in it.

I just worked on a T242 and you could not just cut off some line at the barb by the carb because its a 2 piece line with a fitting right at the tank/3 line rubber grommet thing. There is a short piece outside and a long piece inside. Not sure if your 282 is like that or not. But fuel lines would be much cheaper than an exhaust.

How does it run when you remove the exhaust completely? Put some earplugs in and try that...if RPM is good then, I guess get a muffler but if its still bad dont waste your money.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

When you say " cleaned the carb.", how did you clean it? Did you completely disassemble the unit, check diaphragms & gaskets? Gently blow out with carb cleaner and comp. air, including the HS needle ( which needs to be removed to be effective) passages?
How was the carb mounting gasket?
Go here: http://www.shindaiwa-usa.com/getatta...612_081011.pdf
Check out #11 under carb.

I doubt if anything is wrong with the muffler, unless its got a cat muffler.

......AMF!
Old 09-24-2012, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The fuel filter is in its place and picking up fuel.

It ran perfect with the exhaust off.

I completely disassembled the carb, but I did not take the needle out. I shot carb cleaner in every hole, diaphragm and gaskets were good, then I used compressed air to blow everything out. I used it for a day and it was still bad, but today it was quite a bit better, but still noticeable power loss when flat.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-25-2012, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I never re-use carb gaskets. My bet is that the diaphragm needs to be replaced as its not pumping enough fuel to keep up. When you turn the machine certain ways you have gravity helping with fuel delivery.
Anytime I get a handheld in for repair that runs funny I replace all of the carb gaskets first thing. The ethanol in the fuel plays havoc with them.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thats good to know, thanks. I will buy a re build kit?
Old 09-26-2012, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

On my t242 I replaced the crappy muffler with a brand new t230 muffler. I wonder if the 270 or 260 muffler would fit on it t282. The t242 runs pretty good with the 230 muffler.