Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-15-2012, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Crazy story, but true!

This is the kind of story that is hard to believe it actually happened, but it did! I pull up in front of a home to mow a lawn in a residential area. The mailboxes are on posts where a mail truck can pull up and deliver mail from the truck and drive to the next. It is very difficult to not end up in front of a mailbox which I know is irritating to the mail delivery person, but this is a legal parking area and I suppose it is just something that they have to deal with. Just like every other job, there is always something less than ideal, but you deal with it, right?

I drop my gate and as I am backing down my mower, I hear honking. I look and see a mail lady in front of the mailbox of the home I am about to mow, honking over and over, pointing at the mailbox that I am in front of and saying something. I kind of ignore her and continue to back down. I then get off my mower and walk over to her ask what does she need. She says something like “you need to move your truck you’re blocking the mailbox”. I tell her that I am not moving my truck, that I am legally parked and that she may have to get out of your truck to deliver her mail. She tells me that I have to move, for some reason that I didn’t really hear. I then told her that she was welcome to call the police if she felt that I was doing something illegal. She said that she was going to. I then moved to get back on my mower and cut the lawn. At this point she drove her vehicle right up to my mower as if to block me! I looked at her and asked her what she was doing. She then inched forward more actually hitting my mower with her post office truck! I informed her that she just hit my mower with her mail truck and that now I was to going to call the police. So I did, informing the police dispatcher the situation and what had happened. There was no damage to my mower, it was just a bump, but I couldn’t believe how this woman was acting. I let her know that the police where on the way and that she should probably stay on scene. I then backed my mower away from her truck and was going to mow when she jumped out of her truck and began to jump around in front of my mower so that I couldn’t go anywhere. Next, she literally smacked my mower with her hand! I was so amused by her behavior, I wasn’t anywhere near angry! I told her she was acting very immature when she stepped towards me and slapped me! It was on the arm, my bicep, but it was pretty hard. I couldn’t believe it! I said ma’am, you are a federal employee. You really need to realize how you are acting is completely inappropriate at which point she agreed! My employee, who has been watching the whole thing, said something to her about smacking someone and she threatened to smack them! I called the police back, let them know this was escalating and then began to mow.

The first person on scene was her supervisor. I was in the back mowing so the supervisor got the mail lady and my employee’s story first. I was told later that she tried to tell her supervisor that I ran into her and that she had tried to leave out the slapping part. When he heard she smacked me his eyes about popped out of his head. He came back to me, I shared my story, told him that I was not pressing charges and honestly didn’t want to see her get into trouble, I actually feel sorry for her that she would so easily fly off the handle like this. He apologized, got my info and told her to move on with her route. He told me that they would be dealing with her. I again asked that they wouldn’t be too severe on her. I guess I realize, we all make mistakes and do dumb things sometimes.

The police showed up. I told them what happened and they too were in total disbelief at the very pronounced four fingered mark on my arm! I finished my lawn and moved on. I don’t know what happened to the mail lady who went “postal”, but I am afraid to take my truck and equipment back to that location next week!

Crazy. This was yesterday morning. I still can’t believe it happened.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I just wish you would've got this on tape I would love to see it.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMan19 View Post
I just wish you would've got this on tape I would love to see it.
That's exactly what I was thinking....
Old 09-15-2012, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

She definitely thought you were disrespecting her, and didn't think about your side. Yesterday, i was blocking a box with my mower, but the lady hopped out of her mail truck and told me to not worry about it. I have had a yelling match with a garbage service. They want to yell without thinking about where i'm supposed to park. Thanks for the law about parking in front of the box; i had always assumed that the mail service needed access no matter what.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Considering all that you went through/put up with, I think you are showing great restaint and kindness. Good on you bro! It'll come back to you sooner or later.

Where I live, they simply won't deliver the mail if the box is blocked. BUT- they'll get out of the truck and walk all the way to the door of the house where the box is being blocked (no short distance to many of the houses around here) and leave a note on the door advising them that they will not deliver their mail until the blockade is removed.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I alaways put the mail in the box for the postal folks, its just a curtious thing to do.
I damm sure dont need all that excitment in front a customers house.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Crazy story, but true!

That's funny.... Last week we were at a job site and we were blocking the mailbox ( it was a new neighborhood and trucks were blocking all 3 mailboxes on that street, the mailboxes are about 30'- 40' apart). the mailman pulls up and whistles at one of my employees to go get the mail to put it in the mail box so he goes and does it and as he's walking back to what he was doing he asks him to get the next one too and there he goes. I wasn't really paying attention until I realized that the other guys were laughing bc he was trying to get him to do the third one, by then I think my employee just felt stupid and ignored him. Haha
Old 09-15-2012, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The local authority decides if your can park in front of a mail box. If people complain the local gov. can inact an ordinance making it illegal to block box. If they get complaint you get ticket. They don't have to post signs.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I block them all the time and mail ppl never say anything and it's always the same 3 mail ladies on my route. I simply wave to let them know I am sorry and they smile and wave back.

I would think that a mail carrier can not hand u another person's mail to put in box. Am I wrong?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-15-2012, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You are correct Greenstar, it is illegal for them to have you touch anyone's mail. However, I do it every Monday as I'm blocking a customers mailbox and the mailman and I are there at the same time every week. When the regular mailman is off for whatever reason and has a substitute mail lady she won't deliver the customers mail and gives me a dirty look as she drives off. Most of them are too fat and lazy to get out of the truck and walk a few feet,
http://www.klawns.com