Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-05-2012, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Lessen The Ground Pressure on Your V-Ride 36

I has stopped using my V-Ride 36 because after two years it was leaving ruts on all properties that had any areas that were off camber even a little. My Operators weight 155, 165, & 188. The skinny factory tires turned out to be a joke. The tread width on the tires is only about 5.5" even though the number on the tire says 7. The 48 only weighs a little more then the 36 but comes with huge 10.5 tires.

I took a lot of rim offset measurements and pondered trying several different tire widths. You would think the width numbers on the tires and on Carlisle's website would be accurate but they are not.

I emailed Scag to get some help but apparently responding to my email would be admitting they have a problem so they just ignored my email. Years ago when I had purchased two Scag mowers for ten grand Scag sent me a survey and I checked off the spot where I was requesting they contact me. Instead they sent me two Scag engraved pens, ignored their own customer survey, and never called me.

I went with the 8.5" version of the factory tires. The true measurement was 7.25" not the 8.5 shown on the tire. Going from a 5.5" tread width to a 7.25" is giving me 31.5% more surface area to support the mower. The tire in the picture was over inflated by the dealer and grew in width by about an inch once I dropped the pressure to 10 lbs.

I wish we could label pictures we use on Lawnsite but unless there is something I'm unaware of you can't. I will post more pics separately so I can include text with each picture.
Attached Images

Owner- David

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 10-05-2012, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Tire Clearance Issue

I thought for sure I was going to have to make some tire spacers but all I had to do was grind down the two large bolt heads that are behind the tires. The pictures show the OEM tire, the original bolt head versus the ground down bolt head, and finally the wider tires installed with my tight gap.
Attached Images

Owner- David

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 10-05-2012, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

My Little Scorpion Visitor

I was bent over running the grinder and all of a sudden this pissed off scorpion came out from under my mower and came at me ready to wage war. I immediately stomped on him and kept on working.
Attached Images

Owner- David

Old 10-05-2012, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

8.5 Tires Installed

Here is the mower with my wider tires installed. You will notice the big pad and small fold down platform are removed on my mower. This allows the operator to stand further forward on the mower and to have better weight distribution. The two 30 lb. weight plates under the front deck have been removed as well.

Today is the first day to use the wider tires so hopefully all goes well.
Attached Images

Owner- David

Old 10-05-2012, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, those tires on the 36" v ride are much too narrow. When I was shopping for standers a couple of years ago I seen one. I could not believe they put that size tire on something with that much weight. I also thought for a 36" stander it should of been shorter in length. It seemed to be the same length of the 48" v ride. The 36" Grandstand and wright seemed more compact with wider tires. Glad you came up with a solution to this issue with the tires.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-05-2012, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Unless you find a tire somewhere that is specifically marked that the width number is the actual tread width, the numbers they put on the side of the tire do not represent the tread width. It is to indicate the total width across the carcass at its widest point when inflated to normal operating pressure ranges for the tire. The tread width is always narrower, though some brands and styles of tires are closer in width regarding both the carcass and the tread, than others.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Unless you find a tire somewhere that is specifically marked that the width number is the actual tread width, the numbers they put on the side of the tire do not represent the tread width. It is to indicate the total width across the carcass at its widest point when inflated to normal operating pressure ranges for the tire. The tread width is always narrower, though some brands and styles of tires are closer in width regarding both the carcass and the tread, than others.
I'm aware of this. The widest I could make my 18-7 tires was only 6.25" under any pressure. I had to take the total sidewall width into consideration to prevent rubbing.

Automotive tires give you way better spec info then off non-DOT tires.
Owner- David

Old 10-05-2012, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post
Yes, those tires on the 36" v ride are much too narrow. When I was shopping for standers a couple of years ago I seen one. I could not believe they put that size tire on something with that much weight. I also thought for a 36" stander it should of been shorter in length. It seemed to be the same length of the 48" v ride. The 36" Grandstand and wright seemed more compact with wider tires. Glad you came up with a solution to this issue with the tires.
Posted via Mobile Device
The problem you get into when you get too short is the handling becomes very twitchy unless you dumb down the hydro pumps by allowing some blow by.
Owner- David

Old 10-05-2012, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Another thing that is irritating about lawn tires, is that they are seldom even close in height to what the sidewall says when they are inflated to proper pressures. Many of them don't even come close to being the same size in height or width when comparing one brand to another, even though you are comparing the same exact size tire.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I just picked up a new 52" GS today, and the tires are much much wider than the V ride's. I looked at a 36" 48" and the 52" they all have very wide tires. Even my two year old 40"'s tires are pretty narrow compared to the new 52.