Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-13-2012, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

what way to tackle these leaves..

I'm close to 60 and retired and have skimmed down on the mowing as lower back and other issues so only do handfull of accounts. I love the work so will keep going though. these leaves are bit hard to deal with if I rake/tarp/bag..ect. I have a 60" Chariot.a- A 32 inch WB - And couple LB's with bagging on them. I tried this this week and was better..But not sure it's the answer. Customer wanted the leaves mulched and bagged for her garden. I knocked then down some with the 32 (it worked hard-12.5 kawi) then went over with the LB with bagger. seems every trip I was emptying bag but avoided much raking. With what I got..and assuming I can just mulch here after..what way would you do it with whats here? I have mulch kit on 32. I have gator blades and blocker on Chariot but it is bit big for that lot. I don't mind doing the walking with the LB's and they mulch..but deeper leaves is a issue. Thanks
Old 10-13-2012, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

It sounds like you don't have all the right equipment. Just mulching will only get you so far before there's too many leaves. I have a few places that dump leaves. One has 60+ trees and a lot are BIG. I can mulch for the first 3-4 weeks. After that I HAVE to bag or blow into a designated pile to pick up. Either way they have to be picked up or they will definitely kill the grass. I think it depends on the amount of leaves you have at a given property as to what is best suited to use.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think you have the right idea. The problem with 21 inchers is the bags fill really fast. You could dump to a tarp and then use your 32 to drag it so you're not making so many trips. I have rope handles tied to the grommets on my tarps and one longer piece of rope on one of them that I run through all the handles to bundle it up. Some people will just run one rope through all of the grommets and use it to cinch it up. You could also use the Chariot to mow around in circles grinding everything up and discharging it inwards. I will sometimes discharge right onto a tarp, just be careful not to get too close to it with the mower (yup, done that). For deep leaves I go backwards...otherwise my mowers tend to just push and pile them....can't grind them if you can't get them under the mower.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Using a tarp for me would be useless. I tried it once and I couldn't fit much at all on the truck. Once I bag them, it pulverizes the leaves to the point I can get a much larger amount on the truck.

Good advice Darryl. I also back over them. It took me a while to realize it makes a huge difference. Now I discharge into a pile then back over it a bunch. I also have a power chute that I close and open depending on the amount of leaves/grass building up.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just so it's clear. I was talking about using a tarp to collect the ground up leaves from his bagger. He could also use a green landscaper barrel. Basically just so he doesn't have to go to the garden area every time he needs to empty the bagger. I can wedge a barrel between the JRCO mounting bar and the engine on my walk behind and dump my catcher into that. But if I'm bagging it's usually with my Lazer.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks

appreciate the good tips here. I'll try these things next go around. Gene
Old 10-14-2012, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

you need the right 21-snapper hi vac with gator blade. mulch the leaves first -then bag them up and dump on compost pile. nothing deals with leaves better than a snapper hi vac /gator blade
Old 10-14-2012, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnboy dan View Post
you need the right 21-snapper hi vac with gator blade. mulch the leaves first -then bag them up and dump on compost pile. nothing deals with leaves better than a snapper hi vac /gator blade
Maybe for a small little push mower. My Scag pulverizes the leaves to dust with G6 blades.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

this type of thread is a pissing contest IMO.

the way I do leaves is mostly with my 52" mower and grass catcher. make a pass over everything never emptying the catcher until the end. then make a second pass to collect all the mulched up leaves.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
this type of thread is a pissing contest IMO.
Not really. The OP wanted to know of any better ways to deal with leaves using his current equipment. I don't think he can do much more then he already is with what he has.

By the way, hows the parents?