Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-17-2012, 05:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
In the long run you will save money with a skid. Your clients will be happier because you will do a better job. I will still spot spray with a BP
Why will a skid do a better job? I know its cheaper to spray with a skid...lower cost per thousand.

Dave...
Old 09-17-2012, 06:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Look for a used 50 gallon skid if possible, if not I would get a drop in system that goes into a Lesco fert spreader. With both of these you could premix and do a lot of area pretty quickly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-17-2012, 07:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolluv View Post
Why will a skid do a better job? I know its cheaper to spray with a skid...lower cost per thousand.

Dave...
Better products, custom mix, folar feeding,
to name a few.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Better products, custom mix, folar feeding,
to name a few.
So you don't feel granular fert products are as good as liquid?

I understand the custom mix, as you can ad bio packs and custom blend your mix for the conditions. But I have had great results from Anderson granular fert products as well as the organic based granular products such as Screemin Green.

Dave...
Old 09-17-2012, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lawn fertilizing is like pizza. One guy says Chicago style deep dish with sausage is the best. Next guy says, no way, New York thin crust with pepperoni and mushrooms is the best. My wife says a garbage veggi pizza is the best.

You can get great lawns by through many methods. Everyone has their ways and everyone says their was is the best.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Backpacking and pushing is ok to start out but you will quickly find you need to expand your application equipment!
Old 09-19-2012, 06:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolluv View Post
So you don't feel granular fert products are as good as liquid?

I understand the custom mix, as you can ad bio packs and custom blend your mix for the conditions. But I have had great results from Anderson granular fert products as well as the organic based granular products such as Screemin Green.

Dave...
I think some times you can get good results with dry and I often will apply a slow release in the late spring. However I often tank mix with Iron / micros and herbicides so dry is not as good for me.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with using granular ferts and pre emergents. I use them all the time with great results [granular or liquid needs watered in to get good results]. Unless you have some pretty small lawns you do need something more than a pump up backpack sprayer though.

If granular ferts do not work well then why would they put hoppers on Permagreens, T3000s and Z Sprays instead of all tanks?
Old 09-19-2012, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
In my opinion there is nothing wrong with using granular ferts and pre emergents. I use them all the time with great results [granular or liquid needs watered in to get good results]. Unless you have some pretty small lawns you do need something more than a pump up backpack sprayer though.

If granular ferts do not work well then why would they put hoppers on Permagreens, T3000s and Z Sprays instead of all tanks?
Volume issues.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dry fert is fine for crabgrass control. For broadleafs liquid is better...HOWEVER...there is a new broadleaf dry herbicide called "Lockup". It is far superior to previous products. And very low toxicity--a federal "Reduced Risk" product.
http://www.dowagro.com/turf/products...des/lockup.htm
Dry weed and feeds are more expensive, less effective...and do not look professional... as that is what the homeowner is using. Dry weed and feed products are for drop spreaders, not suitable for a rotary spreader, because it throws some of the product into the bushes and flowers.
So...be sure you have a snazzy uniform--it makes you look more professional. Maybe a Cintas uniform with a professionally cleaned outfit every day. And get your hair cut and that snaggly beard trimmed. Write it all off--its now a business expense. And your truck with lettering has to look sharp--no ten year old rust bucket, with your name in grafitti spray paint. OK?

let us know what happens, OK, Cool?

Last edited by RigglePLC; 09-19-2012 at 09:54 PM. Reason: ps