Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-19-2012, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Georgia applicators license

What's the purpose of a Pesticide Contractor's license versus a Commercial Applicator's license?

After filling out the form for Pesticide Contractor's license then reading the "Insurance coverage/financial responsibility" at the bottom that you have to check box to acknowledge... I'm thinking that I'd rather not get this particular license if it requires me to have and maintain a certain amount of insurance.
Don't get me wrong, I have and maintain insurance, but my limits and coverage is determined by ME. And if I decide to change them, I don't want to be fined or have a license suspended due to it.

Also, where do I go to get a Commercial Applicators license in Georgia?
I tried this site: http://www.kellysolutions.com/ga/index.asp but it only has links for renewals, not new applicants.
2003 eXmark Turf Tracer HP 36"/15hp Kaw
Stihl SG 20 Backpack sprayer
Stihl handhelds
Stihl HL-100
Stihl BR600 Magnums
Need a good Stihl chainsaw
Old 06-19-2012, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Just came about this same problem. If you call they will tell you that you only need one of the four mentioned, not all which it doesn't explain easily. At one point I was stressing saying that we had to have so much in the bank. Just get General Liability. It costs us 80 a month I believe. My co-owner is in the insurance business and found a good deal. He just took the pest lic and then had to send in a check of course and some basic info to get the commercial lic sent in. We are looking for someone to cut lawns because we just do apps. We are up on 400. If you work this area give me a call tomorrow and give me your info and if we get customers asking for maint. I'd be happy to have a company to refer to. my cell is 404 333 4828. I could help you with the lic questions as well.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GALAWN View Post
Just came about this same problem. If you call they will tell you that you only need one of the four mentioned, not all which it doesn't explain easily. At one point I was stressing saying that we had to have so much in the bank. Just get General Liability. It costs us 80 a month I believe. My co-owner is in the insurance business and found a good deal. He just took the pest lic and then had to send in a check of course and some basic info to get the commercial lic sent in. We are looking for someone to cut lawns because we just do apps. We are up on 400. If you work this area give me a call tomorrow and give me your info and if we get customers asking for maint. I'd be happy to have a company to refer to. my cell is 404 333 4828. I could help you with the lic questions as well.
What area are you in?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-19-2012, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh_Cut View Post
What's the purpose of a Pesticide Contractor's license versus a Commercial Applicator's license?

After filling out the form for Pesticide Contractor's license then reading the "Insurance coverage/financial responsibility" at the bottom that you have to check box to acknowledge... I'm thinking that I'd rather not get this particular license if it requires me to have and maintain a certain amount of insurance.
Don't get me wrong, I have and maintain insurance, but my limits and coverage is determined by ME. And if I decide to change them, I don't want to be fined or have a license suspended due to it.

Also, where do I go to get a Commercial Applicators license in Georgia?
I tried this site: http://www.kellysolutions.com/ga/index.asp but it only has links for renewals, not new applicants.
If you charge for spraying you need a contractors license...chances are if you have liability for lawn mowing it will cover pesticides...when I was solo mine did and now as a partner our current insurance does.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-19-2012, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm in the Roswell, Alpharetta, Cumming area. If you treat lawns like your own and don't charge you only the pest lic. If you charge for your service which I hope you would, yeah, in ga you need the contractors lic. which you send them an app and some money in the mail and they send you the cheapest looking contractors lic back in the mail which needs to be posted in your office where people can see.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

CGA if you cut in my area give me a call too. We get a lot of install questions and irrigation questions that we sub out but the guy we sub to has a few issues with promptness. We are only in our first month of business and only have roughly 120 customers but so far we've had to refer about 20 cutting and install jobs.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Let's all meet at the Big Chicken so we can have our picture made together. Well what'a think?
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't want to get shot.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

So I can't just forgo the Pesticide contractors license and only get the Pesticide Applicators license?
2003 eXmark Turf Tracer HP 36"/15hp Kaw
Stihl SG 20 Backpack sprayer
Stihl handhelds
Stihl HL-100
Stihl BR600 Magnums
Need a good Stihl chainsaw
Old 06-20-2012, 03:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh_Cut View Post
So I can't just forgo the Pesticide contractors license and only get the Pesticide Applicators license?
Do you spray round up in the beds of your customers properties? Let me put it to you like this...if you have a mower on a truck or trailer and you have any chemical on your truck you need a contractors license. Doesn't matter if your spraying is a seperate line item on your invoice or not, or if you include roundup as a free service.

Now, if you have 500 acres of corn that you own and you need to buy an RUP you can buy the chemical and spray all day long for 5 years with no insurance or contractors license.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by cgaengineer; 06-20-2012 at 03:29 AM.