Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-16-2012, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sunday Mowing at 9:15 a.m.

Ok, so there's a really nice guy in my neighborhood (he actually grew up here and his elderly parents live around the corner) who runs a small lawn company... has about 6-7 yards around me. Around 3 of them are really close!

Now, I know it's not the crack of dawn, but it's Sunday. And I know this guys yard count... about 40ish and he's got a helper (he does odds n ends too.) He was here yesterday morning mowing some down the street, fine (Saturday.) But can he not arrange his schedule so that there is NO SUNDAY mowing? I sound like an old man complaining but I really think this is inconsiderate. It's happened many times before this summer too. And I ran into him one Sunday at the gas station near our 'hood and he was like, "man, just couldn't see working yesterday....blah blah blah...."

Am I being crotchety about this? We're relaxing in bed this morning and RRRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMM............ right by the window. Hate to assume, but I have a feeling some nice weather, college football, and some beer got in the way of mowing yesterday.

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite

Last edited by PerfectEarth; 09-16-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'll mow the hell out of some stuff on Sunday, but only if I'm WAY behind since my mowing schedule usually should be done by about 2 on Thursday lol. Occasionally I will work ahead as well and knock out some of my **** hole yards, or do extra projects on Sunday.

My picture thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=374000
Old 09-16-2012, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I can see being behind in the Spring, or due to weather. But it's been perfect out for weeks. And the yards aren't even in desperate need of service. Could it not have waited till Monday?

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite
Old 09-16-2012, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Beauty of owning the business. You set your own hours. Its a 7\24\365 world. I don't know too many people that don't work weekends anymore.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2012, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't normally start till 9 am on week days. Though I don't have that many lawns to do.

I have never been that badly backed up that I would have to work on a Sunday. Though if I was that backed up I would be out there because I have to be caught up to start Monday on schedule.

I know there are some parts of the country where LCO's have complained it's rained 4/5 days straight. But this can't happen that often to have people playing catch up on that many Sundays. So if it happened once, twice, a season best to ignore it.

Also I'm never in bed past 7:30am anyway. Though if I had to do work around my own home on a Sunday morning I would wait till 9am before I would be using a hammer, or any power equipment. After 9am it's game on.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Get over it. He can mow whenever he wants too. If you don't like it, save your money and move to the country
Old 09-16-2012, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Ever notice it's only the little fly by night guys that feel the need to cut grass or landscape on sundays. Company's that do ten times the work manage to get the work done the other six days. In my opinion this is just another way people make this industry less professional. I've done this for 12 years and started working alone now we do 200 stops a week and I have not yet to cut a customers lawn on a Sunday.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2012, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectEarth View Post
Ok, so there's a really nice guy in my neighborhood (he actually grew up here and his elderly parents live around the corner) who runs a small lawn company... has about 6-7 yards around me. Around 3 of them are really close!

Now, I know it's not the crack of dawn, but it's Sunday. And I know this guys yard count... about 40ish and he's got a helper (he does odds n ends too.) He was here yesterday morning mowing some down the street, fine (Saturday.) But can he not arrange his schedule so that there is NO SUNDAY mowing? I sound like an old man complaining but I really think this is inconsiderate. It's happened many times before this summer too. And I ran into him one Sunday at the gas station near our 'hood and he was like, "man, just couldn't see working yesterday....blah blah blah...."

Am I being crotchety about this? We're relaxing in bed this morning and RRRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMM............ right by the window. Hate to assume, but I have a feeling some nice weather, college football, and some beer got in the way of mowing yesterday.

You sound a lot like Walter on the Jeff Dunham show.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dycproperties View Post
Ever notice it's only the little fly by night guys that feel the need to cut grass or landscape on sundays. Company's that do ten times the work manage to get the work done the other six days. In my opinion this is just another way people make this industry less professional. I've done this for 12 years and started working alone now we do 200 stops a week and I have not yet to cut a customers lawn on a Sunday.
Posted via Mobile Device

I understand sometimes it's hard to be everywhere when you're working for yourself and are backed up because you're not able to hire enough help yet.

But for crying out loud, on a Sunday, wait till noon. It's just polite.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 09-16-2012, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Guess it depends on your lifestyle. I grew up milking cows. There was no "days of the week", Just work to be done. I usually start at around 9 am no matter what as i do a LOT of vacation homes. Usually by 9 any day of the week they are on the boats fishing or water skiing. I've never understood the sleeping in on the weekend thing. Just makes it harder to get up Monday morning......
2009 Encore FZ48 Front Mount Side Discharge & bagger.
3 Ariens LM21 Commercial walk behinds.
Echo SRM28 trimmers.