Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-16-2012, 03:49 PM
PLS-Tx's Avatar
PLS-Tx PLS-Tx is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,375
32hp Vanguard problems???

It's on a Ferris is3100, less than two years old and a little over 700 hrs.

It has been at the dealer that we purchased from for over two weeks.

A few weeks ago it stared making a tapping sound. We brought it in to have it checked out, they could not find anything wrong with it and said the sound would not hurt anything.

Not long after this it lost power, so we brought it back to the dealer.

They are telling us the camshaft is wore and needs to be replaced, also, a bent push rod.

They are saying this is due to improper maintenance and not covered by the 3 year warranty. We change our oil every 50 hours like clock work, they said we should be doing it every 25 hours or whenever the oil starts to look dark.

The manual says to change the oil every 100 hours.

They are wanting to charge us over $500 for this repair.

What are your thoughts.
__________________
over 40 years old
20 years in business
full time


Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-16-2012, 04:03 PM
cgaengineer's Avatar
cgaengineer cgaengineer is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winder, GA
Posts: 15,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLS-Tx View Post
It's on a Ferris is3100, less than two years old and a little over 700 hrs.

It has been at the dealer that we purchased from for over two weeks.

A few weeks ago it stared making a tapping sound. We brought it in to have it checked out, they could not find anything wrong with it and said the sound would not hurt anything.

Not long after this it lost power, so we brought it back to the dealer.

They are telling us the camshaft is wore and needs to be replaced, also, a bent push rod.

They are saying this is due to improper maintenance and not covered by the 3 year warranty. We change our oil every 50 hours like clock work, they said we should be doing it every 25 hours or whenever the oil starts to look dark.

The manual says to change the oil every 100 hours.

They are wanting to charge us over $500 for this repair.

What are your thoughts.
Call B&S
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-16-2012, 04:36 PM
Patriot Services's Avatar
Patriot Services Patriot Services is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 8,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Call B&S
Posted via Mobile Device
+1 the dealer will catch hell from BS for besmearching the name and ducking their obligations.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-16-2012, 04:39 PM
FMC1959 FMC1959 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 34
Sorry to say, but your dealer sounds like a dick. "They are saying this is due to improper maintenance and not covered by the 3 year warranty"...improper maintenace? They need to say more than that.

Unless they see evidence like your oil is a black sludge, or anything that really shows lack of maintenace, a decent dealer should submit the warranty claim and won't get any kickback from the MFR.

I haven't had any Ferris equipment so I don't know what they are like as a comapny, but I would reach out to the local Ferris rep, the guy that is your dealers account manager. If he deosn't help, contact Ferris directly, their customer service, or if they have an ombudsman office.

I know, this takes time and it sucks, so you need to decide if the downtime on the machine and the time and effort you put into it is worth it or if it is easier to bite the $500 bullet.

In the early 80's I brought my Toyota Tercel to the dealer for an oil change, about $20 back then, I got a $110 bill. They said they rotated the tires and did a bunch of other crap I didn't ask for, but was needed to keep the car properly maintained and keep me in warrany good standing. I wrote a letter of discontent, made 4 copies and mailed(way before PC's) it to the regional office and the national HQ for Toyota, and also let them know that a copy was going to the BBB, and the local news cast that always had a segment on consumer issues with bad MFR's. About 3 weeks went by and then I got a call from my dealer, appoligizing for the misunderstanding and they would refund my $110 + the next oil change would be on the house.

You can get responses quicker these days with e-mail and internet, but it still takes time and energy, which you need to decide if it is worthwhile for you. Ultimately, it all comes down to what kind of customer service Ferris has, if it is crap, you will be SOL. It probably wouldn't hurt to at least contact the local rep for Ferris...and also find another dealer.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-16-2012, 04:46 PM
FMC1959 FMC1959 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 34
My bad, there are many machines where the warranty is done by the engine MFR, so calling Briggs might be the first step. If they don't help, it's Ferris's above Briggs that has their reputation to consider, they should do something.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-16-2012, 05:45 PM
cgaengineer's Avatar
cgaengineer cgaengineer is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winder, GA
Posts: 15,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMC1959 View Post
My bad, there are many machines where the warranty is done by the engine MFR, so calling Briggs might be the first step. If they don't help, it's Ferris's above Briggs that has their reputation to consider, they should do something.
I think B&S owns Snapper and Ferris...so one call to B&S should do the trick.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-16-2012, 07:33 PM
FMC1959 FMC1959 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 34
Everybody is owned by someone, but who actually makes anything? Not sure it is still the case today, but years ago Briggs was was having problems with OHV technology. They were having Vanguards made for them, by Yanmar or Daihutsu, or some other Japanese/Korean builder.

Maybe they should do the warranty work
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-16-2012, 09:04 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMC1959 View Post
Everybody is owned by someone, but who actually makes anything? Not sure it is still the case today, but years ago Briggs was was having problems with OHV technology. They were having Vanguards made for them, by Yanmar or Daihutsu, or some other Japanese/Korean builder.

Maybe they should do the warranty work
B&S has never made the Vanguard. B&S partnered with Diahatsu in building a plant in Japan where the Vanguard is made. In retrun, they are the US distributor. The Vanguard is one of, if not the best commercial engine made today. There are good and bad in any brand, and it sounds like the OP just got a bad one. Overall they are excellent engines, but having the B&S name tagged to them hurts their reps here. Toyota owns Diahatsu BTW.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-16-2012, 09:44 PM
puppypaws's Avatar
puppypaws puppypaws is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marshville,NC 28103
Posts: 7,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLS-Tx View Post
It's on a Ferris is3100, less than two years old and a little over 700 hrs.

It has been at the dealer that we purchased from for over two weeks.

A few weeks ago it stared making a tapping sound. We brought it in to have it checked out, they could not find anything wrong with it and said the sound would not hurt anything.

Not long after this it lost power, so we brought it back to the dealer.

They are telling us the camshaft is wore and needs to be replaced, also, a bent push rod.

They are saying this is due to improper maintenance and not covered by the 3 year warranty. We change our oil every 50 hours like clock work, they said we should be doing it every 25 hours or whenever the oil starts to look dark.

The manual says to change the oil every 100 hours.

They are wanting to charge us over $500 for this repair.

What are your thoughts.

Call 1-800-999-9333 and tell them you wish to speak with a member of their corporate customer support team, then explain what has taken place with the engine as well as the dealer. Make sure to get the persons information you are dealing with, this way they realize they must perform their duties responsibly. Please let us know what transpires!
__________________
Farm Mower
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-16-2012, 11:33 PM
FMC1959 FMC1959 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
B&S has never made the Vanguard. B&S partnered with Diahatsu in building a plant in Japan where the Vanguard is made. In retrun, they are the US distributor. The Vanguard is one of, if not the best commercial engine made today. There are good and bad in any brand, and it sounds like the OP just got a bad one. Overall they are excellent engines, but having the B&S name tagged to them hurts their reps here. Toyota owns Diahatsu BTW.
I sure as heck wasn't putting down the Vanguards, I had one in a generator and it was great. My buddy that works in an equipment rental shop swares by them.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:13 PM.

Page generated in 0.07189 seconds with 7 queries