Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-16-2012, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMC1959 View Post
I sure as heck wasn't putting down the Vanguards, I had one in a generator and it was great. My buddy that works in an equipment rental shop swares by them.
It's all good.
I was just throwing a little info out there for those who aren't exactly sure what the deal is with the Vanguard and B&S.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the help guys, we will be contacting the factory this coming week and will update thread.

This is a family run business, three brothers one of their wives and son all work their. The son is the one that works on lawn mowers. He is not there half the time, very frustrating. Several things he has worked on for us we had to bring back because it was not right, sometimes more than once.

Needless to say we will not be purchasing any more ztr's from them. We were wanting to get another 3100 but not after this.

Looks we have two choices. There is another Ferris dealer that I have talked to, they seem like they have things together. Problem is they are a little farther away than I'm comfortable with.

We may be changing over to Scag, demoed a Cheetah a few weeks ago and we liked it a lot.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I know Hustler quit using Briggs because they would not stand up to their warranty so they droped them.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Member

I don't know how Ferris works internally, but most MFR's, the local rep is paid and commisioned on revenue that come trhough the dealers in his territory.

"Looks we have two choices. There is another Ferris dealer that I have talked to, they seem like they have things together. Problem is they are a little farther away than I'm comfortable with.

We may be changing over to Scag, demoed a Cheetah a few weeks ago and we liked it a lot"

If he catches wind of a statement like this, the local mom & pop that is not giving you the service can get an earfull, maybe even pull their dealership and give it to someone else if there have been enough complaints. (don't know if there are many options in your area for Ferris).

He also has the power to approve warranty repairs or returns on items that be out of their regular policy. (not your case as you are in warranty period, but just saying)
Old 09-17-2012, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I called & things are in motion. Looks like it will be covered, B&S has already called the dealer. Will give more info as soon as I have time.

Thanks again for all the help!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-17-2012, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLS-Tx View Post
I called & things are in motion. Looks like it will be covered, B&S has already called the dealer. Will give more info as soon as I have time.

Thanks again for all the help!!
Posted via Mobile Device
That is great, please keep us updated...remember there are bad engines with all manufacturers, but I personally would consider Vanguard as being at the top of all non fuel injected mower engines. This is even with the fact of me just buying a FX1000V Kawasaki that has only just as of Saturday turned 8 hrs. on the meter.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
That is great, please keep us updated...remember there are bad engines with all manufacturers, but I personally would consider Vanguard as being at the top of all non fuel injected mower engines. This is even with the fact of me just buying a FX1000V Kawasaki that has only just as of Saturday turned 8 hrs. on the meter.
I still have great confidence in Ferris & Vanguard but none in this dealer.

I'm sure out next Ztr will be a Scag Cheetah with a kaw. Thankfully the Scag dealer also sells Stihl. This way we can do everything @ one dealer, this is very important to us.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-17-2012, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLS-Tx View Post
I still have great confidence in Ferris & Vanguard but none in this dealer.

I'm sure out next Ztr will be a Scag Cheetah with a kaw. Thankfully the Scag dealer also sells Stihl. This way we can do everything @ one dealer, this is very important to us.
Posted via Mobile Device
A dealer can make or break you!!!
Old 09-17-2012, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
So can a Briggs...why gamble...get a Kohler....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-17-2012, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Very true
Posted via Mobile Device