Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-16-2012, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Help with Lawn? Suggestions/Help (images bandwidth alert)

Good Day,

Disclaimer - if I posted this in the wrong forums, I apologize and hope the moderators can move it to the appropriate place

So I'm in a little dilemma - I hope I can get some help or advice or some sorts. Basically, I'm living in a house now that is a total disaster. I have no idea how to organize it or where to start. Frankly I am overwhelmed.

So... what I know - initial owners said they had a landscaper Sod their grass, but weeds started growing all over the grass (claiming the source is from the forest in front of the house). Then they had another professional kill the weeds and this time seed the lawn (whatever lawn is out there)... the results - well see the picture

Anyway, so I want to make the front of my house seem presentable. I have NEVER done any landscaping or gardening of some sorts so I am very overwhelmed by this and I am unsure what the first step even is.

I did have some landscapers look at what is going is – and well they wouldn’t tell me what their plan/sketch (that makes sense since you have to hire them) – but I got prices ranging from $3000-$5000 (4 landscapers) for the front yard (and I barely got any land there) and that is waaaaaaay out of my budget. To rearrange the small island, I got a range of $1300-$1600.

So now I want to try doing as much as I can by myself. So I need some help and suggestions. I live southeastern Michigan. I did plant the dwarf baby fruit trees in the back – thinking of getting some semi-dwarf fruit trees and planting them on the sides of the backyard. I also planted the blue cedar atlas and the baby blue spruce.

So any help, suggestions or anything is appreciated
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2012, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Member

4 more pictures - only 8 pictures per post. Sorry for double posting

editing:
Image #1 - backyard. The 6 trees planted
Image #2 - The "grass" looks in the backyard.
Image #3 - Dying tree or the season perhaps?
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2012, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Have a professional company come in and spray the lawn for weeds,this will take a couple of apps to do,Start cutting the lawn weekly .Round up in the beds and rototill them and rake out the crap. Pull all dead plants out,not worth keeping. Add new mulch to beds.